What's new

Apple Maps: Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Man: Yes.
Thanks, Sam. Will need to give that a try then (and finally upgrade my iPad3 to iOS6). BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2). Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote... _Man_Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hanson said:
First off, I doubt it. Secondly, lighten up, Francis.

I don't know what to make of Apple's response, which is basically, "if you don't want to die, participate in our wallet rape". Well actually, I guess it's pretty obvious what my takeaway is.
On the first half: haha ok, put a smilie next time.

On the second half you can buy any number of reasonably priced cables that work just fine and aren't made by fly by night chinese outfits who have reverse engineered the product wrongly. There's a reason that the "Made for iPod" and similar promotions are effective, they let you know that the they meet a certain minimum quality standard. If you value a few bucks more than your safety you... well you don't deserve to die but you do deserve a bad experience. Let's be clear here: IT IS NOT APPLE'S PRODUCT THAT KILLED HER. It was an unauthorized 3rd party product that Apple has ZERO control over. Good luck for them even trying to sue them out of existence, 4 others will simply take their place.

ManW_TheUncool said:
Thanks, Sam. Will need to give that a try then (and finally upgrade my iPad3 to iOS6). BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2). Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote... _Man_ Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)
Quite welcome and no, I do not have any issue seeing any of Dave's posts.

A review you might be interested in:
http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/google_maps_20_ipad_review

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
ManW_TheUncool said:
BTW, anyone else having problems seeing some of Dave's posts? No actual content shows up for his posts when I use the HTF mobile app (on my GS3 running Samsung's build for Android 4.1.2). Hmmm... Seems the mobile app has trouble handling quotes made by Dave (and me via the app) and won't display content starting from the point of a quote... _Man_ Sent via HTF mobile app (and edited on HTF full site)
Dave's stuff routinely does not show up in mobile Chrome nor Tapatalk. I always think he clicked on the Post button by mistake.

Everything of Sam's comes through loud and clear.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe it's an Android rendering thing then? It also happened w/ my above quoted post made via the HTF mobile app until I edited it on the full site.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sam Posten said:
Thanks. Sounds like it was only just released in the last few days. Mighta been nice to have it for my trip upto Newport, RI.

Guess it's finally time for me to update the iPad3 to iOS6... after I get my PC's 2ndary harddrive (w/ my iTunes library) "fixed" -- it apparently has a ton of bad sectors(?) that finally impacted my system enough to require a chkdsk that's been running for almost 2 days and counting(!).

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
First off, I doubt it. Secondly, lighten up, Francis. I don't know what to make of Apple's response, which is basically, "if you don't want to die, participate in our wallet rape". Well actually, I guess it's pretty obvious what my takeaway is.
I think the message is: Apple is not to blame if you die while licking an electrical outlet, even if holding an iPhone. Less snark, more serious: if a manufacturer builds a charger that connects ground to a hot signal, energizing the external antenna of the iPhone 4S, Apple can't help you. And you should blame the criminally negligent accessory maker.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
Dave's stuff routinely does not show up in mobile Chrome nor Tapatalk. I always think he clicked on the Post button by mistake. Everything of Sam's comes through loud and clear.
Android auto-blocks Apple fanboy chaff ;)There is no "quote" feature in the mobile website on iOS, so I often quote things with simple copy and paste, from my ipad. But aside from a few mangled posts, I don't have trouble seeing quoted material from anyone.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would guess if more people die through using 3rd party chargers that Apple stock would take a beating, doesn't matter if it's not their fault, just reports like this will be seen as negative and it isn't good for Apple.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yes, I suspect Apple was secretly chuffed about the two Chinese citizens who were electrocuted by their 3rd party chargers -- they weren't directly responsible, but it got the word out that if you didn't fork over an exorbitant amount of money for official chargers, YOU COULD DIE!

Sam will be offended that I am casting Apple as a gleeful villain here, but at Apple, the bottom line is the bottom line.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's no technical justification whatsoever for Apple not to use a standard micro-usb cable. It's purely a matter of "let's see what we can get the suckers to pay for".

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You're dead (not heh) wrong on that. If it were only the dual sided nature of the cable and the ability to charge things with higher loads alone it would be enough to merit the switch to lightning, but it's even more than that. You can find hints to those reasons by the leaks from WWDC but there is much more to come from this connector, we are only at stage 1 of a cable that Apple has engineered to last the next ten years. I don't expect to change your opinion of course, you have already made up your minds on this, but it's there if you wanna go looking.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam, Apple is holding those who simply want to charge their phones hostage with this overpriced accessory. There is zero reason to charge as much as they do. Rather, there is clearly only ONE reason they charge as much as they do and it's quite obviously NOT in the best interests of the consumer.

What they charge consumers for a basic function like recharging their phone is completely indefensible and can only be described as pure greed. Only a complete zombie would argue otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks