What's new

Apple iPad buyers / Owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm a fan of playlists, smart playlists, and Genius playlists. Going from memory, in iTunes you can selectively sync playlists of all types, as well as genres. You can also selectively sync audio books, movies, TV shows, etc. And if you need absolute control, you can set it for manual sync where you set each and every media file to be synced.

In any case, you can have custom sync parameters for *everything* (apps, books, files, music, movies, etc) for every device.

Plug the iDevice in, click on it in iTunes and explore the tabs for the differenct media content. They can be quite handy.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't really use playlists. I mainly use the Genre function. I'll play around and see what I can do. If I have to go with playlists on the phone, I can.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Alright. I got past my fear of that "syncing music will erase everything on your iPhone" warning and turned it on. There, I saw all those wonderful selection menus allowing me to select from artists, genres, albums. So, now I see how I can keep things as they are for my iPod and still select music for my phone. Cool.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When I use the YouTube app and try to sign in, it makes me go into Safari and sign in there first. Is there any way to change that? I saw something about "2-step authentication," but it's grayed out in Google.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, first thing I did. But, music sync was turned off, and I got that message the first time I turned it on. It didn't make sense, but they made it sound like they were going to wipe the phone before syncing the music. I guess what they meant was, "If you have a full 32G of music and sync it all, things will be removed."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hmm...I'm not familiar with that sort of warning, except in cases of Restores, deleting apps, or switching from Mac to PC sync. I don't recall seeing it for a normal sync. But syncing gets a more challenging when you've got more music than storage.

I thought I logged into YouTube directly from the iPhone app, but it's been a while. But I've been using more and more the YouTube mobile app (go to YouTube in Safari, hit the bookmark button and then press the Add to Home Screen button). I like the native iPhone app but some things the mobile app does a better job.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know if this has been discussed already but it is being

reported that Apple is suspending all vacations for Apple retail

employees at the end of January in anticipation of new product

announcements.

Many are speculating that the iPad 2 will be announced shortly

and could be one of the devices going on sale by the end of the

month.

Of course, it does seem to soon for this to happen, but there

have been way too many leaks of iPad mockups and cases over

the past month to indicate that production of the iPad has been

long underway.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is doing our annual budget today. It allocates money for two iPads.

But I still don't think the iPad 2 is coming in January (April, for annual revision schedule). To my mind, a January event fits with a Verizon iPhone release.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Jan well be the announcement with an April release. If they follow what they did last year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple won't repeat last year's long-lead iPad announcement. That was was the launch of a brand new product. It was a CES spoiler, of sorts. It was ramp up time for developers. Now they'll do as they do with the iPhone and iPods: announce at most two weeks before availability.

And here's another big clue: Verizon announces January press event.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/01/verizon-sends-event-invitation-net-flies-into-verizon-iphone-flurry.ars

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I just read that Apple canceled all vacation in the stores for the last 2 weeks of Jan thru the first 3 weeks of Feb. If that is true something is on the way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by dmiller68

I don't know if this has been discussed already but it is being

reported that Apple is suspending all vacations for Apple retail

employees at the end of January in anticipation of new product

announcements.

Many are speculating that the iPad 2 will be announced shortly

and could be one of the devices going on sale by the end of the

month.

Of course, it does seem to soon for this to happen, but there

have been way too many leaks of iPad mockups and cases over

the past month to indicate that production of the iPad has been

long underway.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
(Asking as someone who considers syncing a normal part of iPhone / iPod usage :)

Yeah, first thing I did. But, music sync was turned off, and I got that message the first time I turned it on. It didn't make sense, but they made it sound like they were going to wipe the phone before syncing the music. I guess what they meant was, "If you have a full 32G of music and sync it all, things will be removed."

That's more or less it. As far as I understand it, iTunes will warn you about that when it sees an iOS device that seems to never have been synched w/ that particular installation of iTunes before because it *WILL* wipe out whatever's (deemed likely copyrighted) on that device and replace w/ whatever's set up to synch from that installation of iTunes, if you try to synch it. It's basically part of Apple's IP protection scheme.

They generally will not allow you to copy (likely) copyrighted content from an iOS device to your computer, but only from your computer to a limited number of iOS devices. And since you're supposed to be synching so that the iOS device has the same (chosen set of) content as (chosen on) your computer, they will actually remove any such content that's deemed not to belong on your iOS device if not also found on your computer (barring any manual setup adjustments to ignore certain types of content perhaps).

And if you've never synched your iOS device w/ that particular installation of iTunes before, it'll probably just wipe all such content on it first (to keep the process simple and less time/resource-consuming) before copying everything it thinks it needs from scratch from your computer.

Since you didn't already have any music (and probably any other potentially copyrighted content) on your iPhone, that initial wipe was pretty meaningless (and a slight bit misleading) for you.

However, in the future, if you see that warning again when you connect an iOS device that actually has stuff you care about on it, you should heed that warning and make sure doing so is ok w/ you -- or abort otherwise. In that case, probably personal stuff like pics and videos shot w/ the device's built-in camera or voice recordings made w/ the device along w/ PIM stuff should probably synch just fine, but prerecorded music and videos, etc. (which are likely to be copyrighted) that were synched to the device from elsewhere will very likely get wiped.

_Man_

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the detailed information. That all makes sense. This is the only computer I sync to, so I probably shouldn't see the message again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are still rumors that iPad 2 will be announced very shortly,
possibly Tuesday February 1st.

Again...rumor...but these have been rather strong lately along with

all the cases and mockups that have been showing up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In support of your comments, Ron (and others'):

http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2011/1/7/rumor-ipad-2-is-coming-soon.html

I have it on good authority that Apple will be announcing the iPad 2 in the next "3-4 weeks", possibly Tuesday February 1st. The iPad 2 will feature a retina display and front/back cameras.

I don't believe it. But I'll happy to be wrong and buy an iPad in mid February.

Here's why I don't believe it:

* No way the iPad can get a pixel-doubled display; by all reckonings it's out of technical possibility. And a fractional display upgrade causes display problems that Apple has previously stated they want to avoid.

* They like their annual cycle, which is mid April for the iPad.

* It stomps on the Verizon iPhone release, and Apple likes to have staggered, non-conflicting announcements to control the news cycles.

* Announce Feb 1 and they risk pissing off the world of non-hard core users who just spend $500+ on their first iPad a month ago.

Why I could believe it: The iPad 2 is a month ahead of schedule so Apple's going to launch early to increase their lead in the nascent tablet market. Having a second iPad out before *anyone* else has launched a first tablet will be something. Selling their second iteration while RIM and Google are still all talk and demos will put the hurt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks