What's new

Apple iPad 2 buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm seeing more reports coming out on Verizon clarifying the data pricing, saying no activation fees. Nothing rock solid to link to, but I'm feeling more optimistic we'll see every tech site commenting on this by tomorrow morning.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Verizon's twitterer is saying no activation fees

http://twitter.com/VZWSupport

(search "activation")

example:

@genekend Offering prepaid month-to-month 3G service opts paid w/credit or debit card. If u select one of these opts, no activation fee. *JB

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So bottom line, We will be able to get a wifi + 3g ipad. Keep 3g off until there may be a time when we need it. Pay for a month then turn it off. thats it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the word coming out: it will be just like AT&T. I'm hoping to have a clear, unqualified statement of this by tomorrow morning from more than a Twitter account and All Things D website :)

I still want to make sure there's no weasel language or shenanigans from Verizon before I buy their iPad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And on the smart cover: bypasses lock screen! I didn't appreciate that from the announcement news.

http://www.macworld.com/article/158447/2011/03/ipad_2_smart_cover.html

Pull the right-hand flap away from the iPad, even slightly, and the iPad automatically wakes itself up, bypassing the lock screen entirely.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm digging around right now for factual confirmation, but apparently, Apple is taking pre-orders on iPad 2's at either midnight or 1:00 am Friday morning.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Double-checking my plan for a 16GB iPad. What about those new iMovie and GarageBand apps? Bet they're huge.

iMovie: 69.1 MB

GarageBand: 369 MB

iMovie is pretty small. GB is large, probably all the instrument sounds. But I'm not sure I'll buy that; my wife and I aren't musical :)

So 16GB still seems good to start.

(This MacRumors thread got me thinking about it again. Nice comments from 16GB iPad owners

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113284 )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.macworld.com/article/158361/2011/03/compare_ipad_data_plans.html Macworld reports in an update that verizon will not charge activation fees. I'm convinced. Buying verizon iPad ASAP.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe it's not clear. VZWSupport says they won't clarify fees until *after* the launch. https://twitter.com/vzwsupport/status/46000594216960000 @JoshAlder Ur question will be answered once the iPad 2 is launched & we have further info to provide u regarding the activation fee. *JB Radian6 • 3/10/11 7:12 PM

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Believe the hype, even on iPad 1 Garage Bank is a game changer and a bolt of lightning smiting those who still insist these devices are for content consumption only.

I so want to get the guitar adapter and play around with the amps!

and I am, in the words of my bass teacher in college, in more dire need of rhythm than any man in history

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I agree that Garage Band is definitely cool, even on the lowly iPad 1.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've decided to keep my ancient, obsolete, 32GB original iPad for at least another six months. My iPhone 4 can be utilized for cameras/Facetime/Skype stuff -- and is actually more efficient at that task. So I'm "good"! Now, that iPad 3 -- I'm gonna' be all over that ....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And the Verizon nonsense continues. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12112564 MacRumors member posted an email from VZW support which is states their iPad work instructions are in place and finalized. No activation fee on sign up. But if you discontinue service and renew later, there is a $35 re-activation fee. Still hoping for final, clear statement. But I believe this since every statement until now notably didn't address the issue on erratic usage.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I was going to go Verizon, but there's enough double talk coming from them that makes me wary of getting an Ipad from them. At least AT&T is clear, but from what they are saying its free activation as long as ou keep it up, stop it and come back to it in the future they will hit you with a reactivatin fee. Its kinda sleazy. So I think I'll stick with AT&T till the Ipad 3.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
well the other option is to take the $20 bucks a month, increase my Iphone plan to allow tethering and just go with a Wifi Only 64gb.

Update*** Went online and setup an account at AT&T it's all pretty painless, set up the tethering option so I go from $25 a month 2gb to $45 a month and 4gb. I was paying $14.95 a month for 250mb on my ipad. Now I'll just get a 64gb wireless, and I'll be able to tether to my macbook air and other devices. Just makes more sense. Now just have to decide white vs black

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I considered that, but it's not a good solution for my wife's iPad

* Need a GPS . My wife will use it as a map as car navigator

* Tethering has a 6 hour life, and drains iPhone battery. iPad on 3G has 9 hours, and leaves iPhone usable

* Tethering is $35 extra, since we use the $15 iPhone plan

Wifi-only might be the right choice for a second iPad.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone ordered online? Says shipping time of 2-3 WEEKS? That's not free fast shipping.....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just ordered my Mom an iPad 2.

Black with Grey Polyurethane cover. Could not

see spending an extra $30 for the leather.

Yeah, seems like up to 2 weeks to receive. There

is a delay on shipping for 5-7 days and then actual

shipping time. Good news is, Apple generally gets

things out faster than promised.

Just ordered a Brenthaven Macbook case from

Apple. Came with free ground shipping. Ground

ship via UPS only took 2 days which I found to
be quite amazing. I live on the East Coast. I am

guessing it may have been shipped from a closer

destination than California.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They're prioritizing in-store purchases.

My guess: every iPad 2 Apple has made is in stores. Online-orders will be fulfilled by units in the manufacturing & shipping pipeline.

Users who are viewing this thread