What's new

Apple blows the doors off (again) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think Apple just caught up with iPad demand: their site lists 1-3 days availability. I guess that means iPad3 is just around the corner ;) Love how they release all this financial news and then follow it up with some pretty inspired hardware updates (IMO) the next day. If only they'd have updated the Mac Pro line they'd have an additional $3K in revenue from yours truly to be able to report in Q4 2011.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Love how they release all this financial news and then follow it up with some pretty inspired hardware updates (IMO) the next day. If only they'd have updated the Mac Pro line they'd have an additional $3K in revenue from yours truly to be able to report in Q4 2011.

Not quite caught up -- as they said in the conference call -- certain iPad SKUs in certain territories. Caught up would be 24 hour shipping on all possible models and not just in the US store.

Mac pros are probably coming next month? Love the new hardware -- it's getting better all the time...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And today crashes back to reality.
Revenue: $28.3 billion vs. $29.41 billion expected EPS: $7.05 vs. $7.26 expected iPhone units: 17.1 million vs. 22 million expected iPad units: 11.1 million vs. 10 million expected Mac units: 4.89 4.5 million expected iPod: 6.62 million vs. 6.9 million December quarter revenue: $37 billion vs. $36.63 billion expected December quarter EPS: $9.30 vs. $8.96 expected
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/18Apple-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-Results.html http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/10/18/apple-misses-on-earnings-and-revenue-stock-tanks/ The sky is falling the sky is falling!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It was a quarter where nothing new was introduced; meanwhile, they should have a very good quarter now. But I think the next few years are going to be very interesting for Apple.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
That's honestly why I despise the current state of the markets. "Better downgrade Apple, they didn't meet expectations!" Yeah, looks like they're in the crapper; they only made 28.3 BILLION DOLLARS.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Means nothing. Same people that put those projections up also predict the stock will sell at $500 a share within a year.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I have a hard time believing he doesn't own any apple stock. You can't find an index fund that isn't heavily invested in apple. Usually the only stock with a higher percentage would be Exxon. Maybe he doesn't own any funds at all.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jacinto said:
That's honestly why I despise the current state of the markets. "Better downgrade Apple, they didn't meet expectations!" Yeah, looks like they're in the crapper; they only made 28.3 BILLION DOLLARS.
Damn, I wish I were in the crapper. I'd be happy with that revenue figure...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So, yeah.... http://parislemon.com/post/16424622119/a-holy-fucking-shit-quarter The doors just blasted off towards Mars... 13b PROFIT kids. 6m profit every hour for 3 months. iPod classic down 21%, dead tech walking.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep just bought a Classic a few months ago due to the size of my library. Once they confirm they're killing it and not making any more I'm going to buy like two of them, hopefully the most/latest manufacturing date I can get (not sure if I can tell that from the outside of the box). Hopefully some day the Touches will go over 100GB of flash storage. If not, I'm trapped by this. Match seems nifty but needs a connection and I'm often not connected when I want to listen to my library (in the car, on a bus, etc.).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Now that I have a 64GB iPhone I mostly use the Classic for trips. Won't buy another one unless this one dies, which I hope won't happen until the iPhone hits 256GB. My library, at ~22,000 songs ~ 500GB not counting a huge podcast and music video collection will never fit on a portable device -- I have to keep deleting stuff from my 3TB iTunes disk to make room.

(PS. the said iTunes disk died last week, recovery was an interesting experience. Had a full backup from 2.5 months ago. TV show episodes and music from the iTunes store was readily redownloadable even though it was mostly freebies. Podcasts on the other hand were hit and miss -- some had all the back episodes, others, very few. I recovered some, like This American Life from my iPhone. Anyone have November and December's Fresh Air?)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So yeah, about those crazy great earnings -- Apple now has more profit than Google revenue... Maybe if Google had concentrated on their core competency instead of wasting billions on Android -- (~$12B just to buy money losing Motorola and who knows how much for R&D and marketing). But most of all -- opportunity cost -- who knows what didn't get done while they were busy being Amazon & Samsung's free R&D department, not to mention a Microsoft and soon Oracle profit center....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh - Ted what you described is my nightmare scenario (though my iTunes catalog is nowhere near as extensive as yours). Which is why I hope that either Apple releases a new Mac Pro, or officially kill it (and announce that intention to the public) which would then force me to buy a mirror RAID external enclosure. That way I can securely back up all of my iTunes and not worry too much (unless both HDs drive at exactly the same time).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even my mom is going to buy an iPhone! (unless she listens to the Verizon salesguy and gets talked into some garbage phone with add-on fees like the last one they sold her).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Second actually, behind Exxons pirate quarter

Second in the US (behind Exxon Q3/2008), unless inflated for time (then Exxon has 3 above it), or international in raw, when it's third ;) Didn't you see the giant "wow" article in WSJ that compared it to the best quarters ever?

No matter how you slice it, very good to the shareholders.... Apple is now "The Man" they once rebelled against.. :) (no negative implied there, just saying you are "The Man" with #s like this)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks