What's new

Apple and PC: the discussion continues. (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
it seems like Mac has FINALLY abandoned the "Mac is faster" claim
Yet another Windoze user that falls under the megahertz myth. There's no doubt my 1 Ghz G4 could lay waste to a 2+ GHz Pentium running the same apps. In my day to day tasks, it runs circles around "faster" Wintel boxes. It's like putting a a Ford Focus up against a Porsche 911. There's just no comparison.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
it seems like Mac has FINALLY abandoned the "Mac is faster" claim
No, not really:

"Experience the fastest iMac ever, with a Pentium crushing 800MHZ PowerPC G4 processor featuring the Velocity Engine"

I wonder if all of this is just an act of desperation on Apple's part? Now they have to attack their competition instead of competing? Maybe if Steve Jobs spent more time making his computers more competitive rather than just pretty he could sway some more people over to the Mac side.

Maybe he could strike up some more deals with software manufacturers so you could have a better selection. Maybe he could stop turning desk lamps into computers and make it easier for the 'tinkerers' to upgrade/improve.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
First you'd have to dig up a P4 that still runs the same version of an app that a Macintosh does. That'll be the hard part. :)
/Mike

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Experience the fastest iMac ever, with a Pentium crushing 800MHZ PowerPC G4 processor featuring the Velocity Engine
As I said, it's pure ad-copy stuff, with no objective data presented to back it up.

Show actual timing data obtained from a third party using the equivalent version of the same actual apps that someone like me actually uses, and I'll believe it. Otherwise, it's soap ad "33% whiter" stuff.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
IMHO, we could argue forever, but the fact remains - Mac users are generally not up to tasks like getting the thing to network and all that - just like the new 911's are so dumbed down, when something happens, it REALLY happens.
And a network administrator complaining that PC's have more cords? Now i've seen everything! :D
Now if my Multimedia Lab could figure out how to get all their G4's working together without calling me in i'll be happy. A network is nothing without the net.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Well, finally took a look at the commercials. Personally, I couldn't care less what people use, I've used windows and MAcs. My preference is for windows, but that's me. For what I do with my computer I find windows works best. These ads though seem to be saying "If you're too stupid to use windows, we got your back". This is not an appealing campaign. Honestly, the people trying to describe how windows works must be morons if they're that useless with it. it's not a giant leap from the windows UI to the Mac. Last time I sued a mac I found it a lot more difficult to use than windows, probably because I knew how windows works and some of the things I was used to were not a part of the mac. Honestly though, anyone who is as useless with windows as these people are probably shouldn't be working with computers at all, books are probably more their speed.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Yet, God damn if it'll read my PC formatted floppy.
Actually, it should, Adam. Macs have to support the PC way of thinking. (Oh wait, is that a pun?)
Now if you try to put a Linux or Mac disk in a Windows box, then it tries its level best to format it.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Seems like a lot of work for something you're not using. Why not just add a Superdisk or Zip and leave the floppy in there? That's what I did.
It took maybe 1.5 minutes. In the end I had a Zip in the top bay, SCSI DVD-ROM below, SCSI CD below that, Two IDE HD's below that, and a quadruple SCSI RAID on the floor drive plate of my 8600. :)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Joseph,

You can do some cool things with the Mac, no doubt. Providing the Virus doesn't wipe out a your data before you notice it, or that you notice it at all. The problem is, no matter how complex or simple, usable or confusing the platform, when those evil virus writing people put their minds to it, they'll be able to get you every time. Hence the original claim about those evil virus people not being interested enough to target Mac, which is the saving grace.

It would be great if the Mac built up enough market share to get a few good virus attacks. Wait a minute, that would suck. Er,...

Martin.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
How come I still have tildes in some file names?
-----------------------------------------------------------

What version are you using? Windows 98?
2K and XP. Try this: run regedit, and search for "progra~1". I seem to have a lot of them, and these are on machines with new installs of the OS, not upgrades.

//Ken

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
To the person who had to hold down the mouse button to keep menus open on a Mac, I don't know what Mac you used, but every Mac that I have used keeps the menu down without holding the mouse until you choose a menu selection.

As for the person who got the same value in a PC for alot less, does that also count the times you upgraded the PC month after month? I haven't seen a single PC user who hasn't added the total cost of another PC to their existing system and claimed to have spent less. What about all the hours of your time people spend upgrading CPU, motherboard, hard drives, video cards, IDE controllers, replacing the 1 dollar keyboard and 2 dollar mouse for a decent one? Sure the parts are cheap, but unless your time is worth zero $, then sure, spend all those hours upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks