What's new

Appeals Court blocks FCC from imposing "Broadcast Flag" rule (1 Viewer)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Here are relevant statements from the ruling:

Of course, Congress is free to make whatever laws they see fit in light of this ruling.

More info here

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Does/will any of this pertain to HDTV's and limiting HD signals to only those sets with HDMI or DVI inputs?

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Actaully, it affects whether or not the FCC could require digital tv receivers to "recognize and give effect to the broadcast flag pursuant to certain compliance and robustness rules".

"Compliance" meaning that if the flag is present in the signal, then the device would not allow a digital output of the broadcast without some sort of "content protection" on it. They are trying to prevent high quality copying of a broadcast program (TIVO, DVD-R, etc.).

If your digital receiver and TV are a combined device, then it wouldn't affect the viewing of programs (there is no encryption involved). But if they were separate, I guess it might affect the ways you can connect them.

The implementation would only affect new products, supposedly.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The way I understood this was that a station could send you the signal, but if they 'flagged' it, you would not be able to make a recording of it.

If you think this is a joke it happened to me about a month ago when I tried to record a DVR from Tivo. I think it was just a test because it only lasted about 5 minutes, but it was there, none the less.

If they are able to 'flag' programs, they could flag everything. Any Tivo, DVR or VHS machine wouldn't work. In effect it brings back the 'prime time hours', as we would be forced to choose to watch 1 program at any given time.

Glenn

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that the court sees the correct point-of-view. My only worry is that if the MPAA runs to Congress, we'll end up with something worse that the broadcast flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks