What's new

Apologies to Musical Lovers - Can't Stand Grease & SNF!!! (1 Viewer)

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
uh-oh, Fifth of Beethoven is featured somewhat prominently--but so is rape, suicide and gang violence, for social commentary!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Saturday Night Fever did, unfortunately, give us the screechy HeeBee GeeBees, and their equally untalented younger Gib Sib, Andy, for several years to come.
The Bee Gees were around, falsettos and all since the late '60s and had hits long before Saturday Night Fever (the first one dates back to 1966). You have a right to hate them, but don't blame SNF.
Ted

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Here I am! :)
SNF is not a "disco movie." It's a story of a time in any person's life, that time when one has to decide whether they will follow the path that is expected of them or the path that they desire, which fulfills them and brings out their passions. It's a simple story of that time of paralysis when you have to confront that precarious balance of between being afraid to reach for the brass ring, yet afraid where you'll end up if you don't.
It's often described as a movie about a guy who wants to escape the limitations and the desperation of Brooklyn. Hence the oft shown image of the bridge. But, it's actually even simpler than that. Tony wants to escape his own limitations, the fact that it's easier to do what is expected of him than confront his fears of pursuing his dreams and living a passionate life on his own terms. It wouldn't matter if Tony lived in Beverly Hills to rich parents, he'd still have the same issue. Others would still have expectations of him that wouldn't gel with his own desires.
The movie is filled with examples of this theme. Bobby C. ending his own life rather than dealing with this paralyzing impasse, Frank Jr. leaving the church despite the disgrace it causes those around him. Look at the expression on Tony's face when his boss gives him his job back, says he's got a great future and starts rattling off how long the rest of the "old farts" have been there. That's Tony's future if he can't summon the courage to (symbolically) cross that bridge.
Yes, disco is the soundtrack to the movie, as it was the soundtrack to the era, the time & place. Does no one see the irony of the fact that popular disco music is so vacuous, yet has its roots in troubled inner cities? It's escape music, pure and simple. It's like the antithesis of rap, which would come along about a decade later with artists like Public Enemy who dealt directly with the social issues of the inner city. There is a rich disparity between the bubble gum music and the grit of the rest of the story; the crime, the racism, the misogyny, the hatred in general.
No, Saturday Night Fever is NOT a disco movie. It's not just one of those movies rushed to the screen to cash in on a craze, like Breakin' or Roller Boogie. All you have to do to see that is, well, watch the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great response Mitty, although that third paragraph of yours is full of spoilers.:eek:

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ted Todorov wrote:
I do vaguely remember they had some famous (s?)hit "ballad"(?) in the very late '60s---too young to remember it properly, but heard it later---however, Saturday Night Fever revived their crummy careers and really brought out the "screech" factor.
Even to think of it . . . . . Oh, God!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A Hard Day's Night is nothing more than a fluff piece.
Oooh, damn you Edwin. :angry:
;)
What can I say, I find AHDN to be a fun little romp, beyond the musical moments. In fact I think its quirkiness is refreshing, unique, and creative, even if it did come straight out of the personalities involved and a writer and director trying to crank out a movie ASAP. In my mind, they pulled it off and it worked very well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, I gave Edwin hell about that comment too Seth.:b
No need to trash one film in order to praise another, right Edwin?;)
I loved AHDN for many of the same reasons that Seth just mentioned. I have the DVD and will rewatch it soon to experience true Beatlemania!
As for Saturday Nght Fever, thanks to this thread, I bought the new DVD and watched it last night. I have seen it a few times, but not in the last few years. It was so much better than I remember. It was so full of energy, humor, sadness and great performances, especially John Travolta who absolutely deserved hs Oscar nomination. A great film that even though dated, holds up extremely well. I even loved the Disco music, which I hated back then!:D

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Disco Duck is a novelty song.
It was made up to parody the disco songs of it's time to make fun of the genre.

It didn't surprise me that it was a number one song at one point. If its one thing that the US liked from the 50's to the 80's, its novelty songs. Historically there have been many big hits (The Streak, Witch doctor, Purple People Eater, Monster Mash, Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron, Eat It, Born in East LA, etc. )

In terms of music, it is a low point in pop, but as a novelty song, is a humorous take on the state of music during that time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought I made that clear
You thought wrong!:D
Just kidding but IMO, both SNF and AHDN are great examples of energetic films reflective of their times.
Yes of course SNF is the "deeper" of the two films, but that does not in any way diminish the enjoyment that AHDN exhibits.
"Fluff" it may be, but oh what wonderful fluff it is!:b

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks