What's new

'Apocalypse Now' voted greatest film of the last 25 years (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yi Yi versus Wings of Desire is not even close, and I loved Yi Yi.

I also think Once Upon a Time in America shouldn't be anywhere near this list, and again I love the director and like the film (though it might be my least fav by Leone that I've seen). I would gladly have it replaced by Schindler's List (or something better if it comes to mind).

It might be noteworthy that these films all seem to define the director at his highest point (of the films I've seen)

I need to see: (I did see In the Mood for Love so I know Kar-Wai's work)

3. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
8. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-Wai, 1994)
9. Distant Voices, Still Lives (Terence Davies, 1988)

The rest of the list I strongly agree with.

edit: Pulp Fiction, yes I would probably put that on the list ahead of Schindler's List. I think it's better filmmaking, even if the subject is less serious. Also, I would give Raiders of the Lost Ark a nod, seriously. It's probably the greatest adventure film ever done in my opinion, and if Blade Runner can be recognized as an acheivement within Sci-Fi then why not?

Tim RH

Second Unit
The only two I haven't seen from that list are FANNY AND ALEXANDER and DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES. DV,SL isn't available on any home video format however, so it can be a problem seeing it. And the version of F&A that's available on video isn't the full director's cut unfortunately (though I am wondering which one they nominated, as well as BLADE RUNNER for that matter?).

But I personally would add at least 3 or 4 Spielberg movies (maybe even 5). Also, I found out that the films had to have been made from January, 1978 and later, so that's why STAR WARS doesn't show up on the list.

I do agree with APOCALYPSE NOW being No. 1 on that list however, I think the rest of it is highly questionable to say the least.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just to elabourate on the 'director's cut' of Fanny and Alexander. In fact, both versions are director's cuts. One version was originally a TV series, and the other is an edited version, cut down in length so it could be shown in movie theatres. It's generally reckoned that the TV series version is better.

I know this isn't much help for a lot of you, but there is a good 2 disc edition of the 'TV version' of Fanny and Alexander in R2. Also of Chungking Express. If memory serves me correctly, both the F&A and CE DVDs are from the BFI's own label. Distant Voices isn't available yet. It gets shown quite often on Brit TV, so chances are that a DVD will be released by one of our more 'arty' companies.

If any of you are tempted to buy Yi Yi, then there is a really cheap version available from DDD House.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Sorry guys, I wouldn't put ANY Spielberg films in this list.

(BTW, I've seen all the films on the list. I've never seen the TV edit of Fanny & Alexander, but I'll check it out when I get my region-free, converting DVD player.)

The Asian selections are a bit puzzling, but OK by me, Chunling Express especially, though I admire Farewell My Concubine, Jou Dou and In the Mood For Love as well. I'd have had Wings of Desire on there, and something from a Kiwi...Angel At My Table or Heavenly Creatures. Being British critics, I would have thought Trainspotting might have made it.

I'm surprised Kieslowski (Decalog or Three Colors Trilogy) missed the list. Guess Kiarostami is outa favor.

I love Spike Leigh, but I think Charles Burnett's To Sleep With Anger is better than Do The Right Thing.

I'd have left off the Leone.

So many movies...so little time.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Steve, I guess that I am awful at spotting smilies. Oh well. Open Mouth, insert foot;)
Claire, you may have had some kind of Freudian slip by merging Spike Lee with Mike Leigh, to come up with Spike Leigh. That would be pretty cool if they had a love child, though. A director who would have black actors and white actors yelling at each other, trying to improvise their lines, all the while an orchestral score is beating down over their dialogue.
Seth, when you say that Yi yi versus Wings of Desire isnt even close, do you mean that Wings of Desire, in your opinion, is a better film? I think that is what you mean, and I agree with you completely. But even though we all have problems with this list, I still think that for the most part we are all somewhat satisfied with the makeup, as all these films are great in their own respect, and if they are not top 10 material of the last 25 years to us, they are all somewhere in out top 25. Overall, a pretty damn good list. But then again, this is from the critics. The really interesting, and I believe more valid, list is from the directors.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think Wings of Desire is one of those movies which divides people into 'love it or hate it categories'. I'm afraid I'm in the latter (though I did like the lady trapeze artist ;) ). On the other hand, Yi Yi has received near-universal praise.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I, for one, applaud this list. After seeing countless lists over the last 20 years, I've arrived at one conclusion - a top ten list is fluid and vacuous. As it should be.

This list happens to be a little more diverse than those that I've become accustomed to seeing. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy to see Chungking Express ranked highly. One of my favorites, and the most innovative and provocative of his work, in my opinion.

There are few films that reach a critical mass in terms of excellence. However, once a films reaches that inimitable plateau, it is hard to argue that one is better than another. I cannot argue against the inclusion of any of S&S's top 10 films.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it does sound possibly vague but I intended to imply that I much prefer Wings of Desire. It's just so much more interesting and inventive while still containing as much emotional honesty as Yi Yi.
On the other hand, Yi Yi has received near-universal praise
Well, the fiancee did walk out of it at the intermission. :) But of course I stayed while she waited in the lobby. Yi Yi is a pleasing, sweet film, but I think it plays things a bit too safe to be top 10 material. It's a solid construction, not unlike You Can Count on Me, but it didn't feel groundbreaking or anything.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Don't forget that the list was voted by just 50 British film experts and doesn't really represent anything except the tastes of a small group of film snobs, well thats true isn't it?
Define film fan, define film snob purist?
[Tuco Ramirez voice] There are 3 types of film snob my friend, those that think Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time but can still sit in the cinema and enjoy Spider-Man, than theres the kind that think Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time and would never willingly sit thru Spider-Man, and lastly there's the third kind that doesn't think Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time and their top 10 consists of films not in the English language, they have never heard of Spider-Man.;)
I'm none of the above [yeah we figured that out], Lawrence of Arabia is the greatest film of all time IMO and have happily sat thru Spider-Man at the cinema.
Which are you?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia is the greatest film of all time IMO and have happily sat thru Spider-Man at the cinema.
Which are you?
I'm definitely that kind too! Not only do I agree that Lawrence of Arabia is the greatest film of all time, but I also found Spider Man to be completely enjoyable!
:emoji_thumbsup:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that the list was voted by just 50 British film experts and doesn't really represent anything except the tastes of a small group of film snobs, well thats true isn't it?
Steve - I think you'll find that the panel of judges is an *international* one, and the cream of the crop at that.

In any case, I think the phrase about snobs is rather unfair, if by that you mean people with closed minds. British film critics are far from parochial.

If you read the BFI publications film reviews, you'll find that they review popular as well arthouse movies, and they don't give Hollywood products a bad time on principle. If a film's enjoyable and entertaining, they'll say so. Likewise, if an arthouse product is pretentious, they'll say so.

At a less esoteric level, if you look at the movie reviews in any of the broadsheet papers, you'll find that at least half of the movies reviewed are likely to be from outside Hollywood or Britain. You can't exactly say that's the same for American newspapers, can you?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DV,SL isn't available on any home video format however,
Mmm, I know it was at one time, since that's how I saw it. VHS only, though, I think. I'll admit I just "didn't get" the film.

My problem with the list is that, according to the article, only British "film experts" were polled, so you don't get the diversity of opinion you do in their once-a-decade poll of film critics around the world.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
those that think Citizen Kane is the greatest film of all time but can still sit in the cinema and enjoy Spider-Man,
CK is the finest piece of filmmaking ever done, Spidey is my 2nd best thing put on film this year (after PDLove). All IMO, which you DID ask for. ;)
Of course MY personal favs list does not start with CK (though lately its been moving way up). I base my list on films that have the greatest personal affect on me, which obviously requires good filmmaking (in my taste) but also has to have a subject, tone, vision, that makes some personal connection to me (and not just entertaining, but emotional/philosophical as well).
On THAT list LoA is #4 (2001, Ben-Hur, Raiders, LoA, Jaws).
I would guess that the BFI voters are not all that different. I certainly have never gotten that impression at least (that they are different, ie snobs).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
There's a British Film Institute? :D
Seriously, I never would've suspected Apocalypse Now would've made the top of the list, considering how most critical reviews I've read state in one shape or fashion, "Great first half, befuddling second."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A well chosen list. Although along with many others I’d leave off Leone’s entry. I’m of two minds about Chungking Express, as I think that In the Mood for Love has stunning use of color and light, but perhaps ‘Express’ has more substance than ‘Love’.

One other thing. I'll admit there's a couple of those films I haven't seen, so I might be wrong, but I don't think there's a single comedy in that list. I have a real problem with that, as I think comedy is routinely underrated on such lists. If this list were entitled the greatest 'dramatic' films of the last 25 years, it'd sit a lot better with me
I agree with comedies being constantly underrated, George, but Chungking Express is a comedy. Admittedly its not a laugh-riot, and pay no attention to the plot. Its sort of a Hong Kong romance comedy. No guarantees that you would like this, but for me, it’s a comedy and it makes me smile, rather than belly-laugh.

This is one of a series of films by Wong at about the same time. For some reason, it’s the most well known of his early films. I expect that is why it got the top-ten nod.

I’m the kind of film snob who thinks that Citizen Kane is one of the greatest films of all time (and who does not really care where any of the top 25 or 50 are listed, just so long as they are on the list) and who can sit through Spiderman and enjoy myself, but who would never, ever bother to compare it to CK or LoA.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Andrew: I'm in the curious position of acting as Steve Christou's intepreter. In that post of his you quoted, Steve was yet again being Steve. Unless you're familiar with his brand of wacko Brit humor, you might think the fella's being serious. He knows the Sight & Sound critics are seriously credentialed. Right, Steve? JB

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I believe that one of the prime examples of a lighthearted comedy being snubbed was last year and Amelie. Amelie, though so sugary and light and sweet that it could give you a cavity, was still one of the best movies of the year. I thought that it was head and shoulders above A Beautiful Mind (though not as good as In the Bedroom), not only for its script but also for cinematography, editing, sound, damn just an all-around more enlightening experience. But in many ways it was deemed a little to light and fluffy for the Academy, so not only was it denied a Best Picture nomination (which it deserved much, much, much more than Moulin Rouge), and denied a Best Acress Nomination (Audrey Tautou was much better than Renee Zellwegger), it was also beat out by No Man's Land in the Best FOreign Language category (a good film, in its own merits, but deemed more "serious," thus more "powerful" and oscar-worthy). I believe that Amelie will be remembered much longer than either A Beautiful Mind or Moulin Rouge in the long run.
But then again, this is only MHO, so take it as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks