1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aperture 2.0

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Raul Marquez, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Raul Marquez

    Raul Marquez Premium
    Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2002
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    138
    Location:
    San Juan, Puerto Rico (USA)
    Real Name:
    Raul H. Marquez, MD
    Has anyone tried out this program which Apple released 2 days ago?

    Any opinions on it? My iPhoto library has about 6,200 pix, so I downloaded the free 30 day trial, but haven't used it yet.

    Raul
     
  2. Christ Reynolds

    Christ Reynolds Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2002
    Messages:
    3,597
    Likes Received:
    0
    I downloaded the trial, started to import my images, but it seemed slower than Lightroom for importing. Nice interface though.

    CJ
     
  3. Phil Kim

    Phil Kim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 1998
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    0
    As an Aperture user since 1.1, I am appreciating the speed increase. Just about every user interface elements are more usable with surprisingly minimal learning curve. Expanded EXIF meta data (e.g., lens type) and ability to export EXIF data are both well overdue and welcomed. I also appreciate new image adjustment tools (e.g., vignet), although it is still missing some that many others have (e.g., barrel distortion).

    All in all, 2.0 answered 80% of my criticisms, although I wish it went that extra distance to satisfy the remaining 20%.
    • While expanded meta data and search are nice to have, it still lacks meta image browser (which Lightroom and many other alternatives have).
    • Noise reduction is still crummy, worse than even iPhoto '08. 2.0 adds plug-in API, so I am hoping for Noise Ninja plug-in.
    • 2.0 RAW processor is only minimally improved over 1.1.
    • Upgrading from 1.5.6 wasn't as seemless as I hoped. While it did upgrade my 1.5.6 library without any issue, some of my settings reverted to default (e.g., image preview size) and it didn't ask to upgrade RAW to 2.0 (manual process).
    • My wife uses iPhoto '08. While Aperture 2.0 improves integration from iPhoto '08, it still lacks seemless export to iPhoto '08.
    Overall, I am pretty satisified and my 3,000 RAWs and 25,000 JPEGs thank Apple for speed increase and UI refinements.
     
  4. Sam Posten

    Sam Posten Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 1997
    Messages:
    19,961
    Likes Received:
    1,582
    Location:
    Aberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ
    Real Name:
    Sam Posten
    I just wish more of the 100 new improvements were real game changers, it seems like mostly minor tweaks. No way I'll change from Lightroom but I really want Aperture to be really solid to prompt Adobe to put more resources into Lr

    I found this interesting:
    James Duncan Davidson > Aperture 2.0 Quick Impressions
     

Share This Page