What's new

AOTC & LOTR:EE/SE store price reports (threads merged) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Best Buy has it for $15.99, don't know what Target has it for, but I doubt they'd beat it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from locked thread.

No, 10% of the difference. For example, AOTC's price at CC and BB will is $14.99, or $5 more than TRU. So, if you paid $14.99 at CC, you would get $5 back plus another 50 cents.

Another problem is that many times, you would have to purchase the item at the higher price and then return to obtain the 110%. You have to consider whether it's worth the hassle.

last part is not exactly true. you just have to walk over to the customer service desk to get the price match same visit to the store. you don't have to come back.

on CLONES this doesnt seem like to much of a hassle for over $5 saved.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
and we'll give you back 110% of the price difference.
As indicated in the terms, price match is contingent on an existing CC purchase. In my experience, this has held true - I've always been instructed to either go to the CS counter where I only got the clerk to ring the item equal to the competitor's price.
YMMV, but per the written terms on both CC and BB circulars, price match is restricted to existing store purchases. An indifferent clerk may not give a damn and give it to you, but I believe that's the exception and not the rule.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok then it may be dif at best buy but the one i shop at doesnt require leaving the store.
it would be silly anyway when all i would do is walk right back in. there is always a guy right at the door and he would see me anyway.
if he asks i just tell him it's for a price match. and he just say's oh ok and lets me walk over to the customer counter.

CIRCUIT CITY may be dif. I never priced matched that way at CC. they always automaticly just give me the extra 10% right at the time of the price match and sale.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Yep...it would be really anal of stores to force you to first actually leave the store upon purchase, then return to do the price match regardless of how explicit the terms are when it comes to price-matching a previous purchase; as opposed to just allowing a customer to enter the store, pick up the item, then walk over to the cashier or return/exchange line and ask the cashier to price-match your purchase right on the spot. Talk about being nitpicky...sheesh! It's not as if Best Buy or other similar stores can afford to be picky as to who their customer base should consist of.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
At Best Buy last week. I first tried to get a price match at the cashier, but was sent to the customer service.
There, I tried to get the extra 10% on the price match. The customer service person went to a manager and came back saying that it is a only price match after the fact that you can get the 10% of the difference. So, that's the way it is at my local Best Buy.

Neil

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I went into Toys R Us today and they let me pre-pay for 4 widescreen copies. That solves all my price matching issues.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Update on the Best Buy front. I just got off the phone with Customer Service about their price matching policy. Management said that they would match the $9.99 TRU price for AOTC, but that I would have to forfeit the free calendar. In other words, choose between the price match and NO calendar or choose the BB price with the free calendar included. I wonder if the receipt will say if you received a calendar.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Update on the Best Buy front. I just got off the phone with Customer Service about their price matching policy. Management said that they would match the $9.99 TRU price for AOTC, but that I would have to forfeit the free calendar. In other words, choose between the price match and NO calendar or choose the BB price with the free calendar included. I wonder if the receipt will say if you received a calendar.
Granted it's their rules, but it's total BS! Based on that totally hogwash comment, are they (BB) implying that the $15.99 price is set at that price because of the calendar? Sheesh--the friggin' weekly ad says "Free calendar" with purchase. I don't know about you but I don't think that "free" translates into "For $15.99 you're paying for AOTC and a calendar". Put it another way--the BB ad states that the calendar is valued at $10.99; if they happen to run out of calendars before the sale is over, will they then deduct $10.99 from their $15.99 sales price? I sure don't think so--therefore, their "no freebie if price match" makes no sense since if they're not gonna give you an allowance if they run out of calendars, how can they justify their "no freebie if price match" logic just because their price just happens to come with a "free" calendar that's valued at $10.99?
Like Steve was saying, maybe the receipt won't mention anything about a calendar--that way, you can just go to TRU and buy AOTC for $9.99, then go over to BB and pay the $15.99 so that you can get the free calendar, then go back to BB the next day and return AOTC. Some people may think that doing so (just to get the freebie) would be to undermine BB sales but as far as I'm concerned, so what? If BB chooses to play the silly "pay our price to get the freebie or price match with no freebie" crap--well, two can play at that game...okay, I'm through ranting...:angry:
P.S.: I think their "Minimum 300 per store" statement really means that they'll have no more than 300 copies--it's just another way to get you into the store; wouldn't surprise me if they somehow manage to run out of calendars before the AOTC sale is over.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please, folks, ease up on the hostility. How important is a calendar? How important is $5 in the grand scheme of things.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Just got back from the 24-hour Wal-Mart Supercenter near my house. At midnight, there were 20 people waiting to get their copy of AOTC. I pulled out my TRU ad at the checkout counter. Got the DVD rung up for $9.99 with no problems. In fact, the checkout clerk asked if she could keep the ad so she could use it later.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
How important is $5 in the grand scheme of things.
True, but when you buy a lot DVDs, every dollar adds up. I only own 150 DVDs, but if I saved just a dollar on each one, that is obviously $150.00. Not a bad chunk of change.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Just scored my copy at WalMart. They had just started stocking a huge display for Episode II when I walked in at around 12:30am. Had no trouble pricematching the $9.99 Toys R Us price :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Please, folks, ease up on the hostility. How important is a calendar? How important is $5 in the grand scheme of things.
well i didnt see anything hostile.
also it seems a bit odd to come into a thread specifically for finding the lowest price for this title, that is located in a forum called coupons and bargains, and to make that statement. sorry patrick thats just the way i see it.

i am glad to save an extra 5 for this dvd and will try to price match at circuit city to try to get another 70 cents.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Do you think Toys R Us will sell out quickly?
Yes. If you don't get there very early, I suspect they will be sold out - especially since many of their stores are taking pre-orders. However, from early reports, you should have no problem price matching somewhere, so long you have the ad.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TonyD, just trying to provide some perspective because some of us here are getting a bit myopic in our pursuit for the cheapest AOTC DVD.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Steve-

I had the same experience at Wal Mart this morning... no one had seen the TRU ad, they were telling everyone they didn't need the ads because the DVD's were already 14.96 (IIRC). They were blown away when I showed them the 9.99 price, but they didn't give me any problem whatsoever in matching it. And they also asked to keep my ad.

Several people were there when I arrived, all picking up LOTR 5-disc gift sets and getting them matched at BB's price.

This is the first time I've tried price-matching at Wal-Mart, and I have to say I'm impressed with their no-questions-asked compliance.

WRT Best Buy and the calendar, I have to say I think they're perfectly within their rights to refuse to give the calendar with a price-match deal. Essentially, their product is not identical if their price includes a "free" calendar. By holing back on the freebie, all their doing is adhering to the letter of the deal you're trying to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks