1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

AOTC & LOTR:EE/SE store price reports (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher_S, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Well-Known Member

I work in radio... putting in next week's national network ads, one retailer is going to advertise AOTC DVD and VHS at 9.99. This store is not a place I frequent, I don't know if they will have many copies per location, or whether they'll stock widescreen. But maybe others will follow suit.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Well-Known Member

Gee... big title... 9.99? Few copies and not widescreen?
    Whoever could that be? [​IMG]

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Well-Known Member

This is where Wal-Mart pricematching is very nice. I can stroll in there at midnight with my ad from another store and get a widescreen copy to boot!

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Walmart usually seems to make sure they beat the prices of the other big retailers. Pre-pricematching!

5. Brandon_S

Aaron,

I have noticed this on some titles, but when I went to get E.T., the clerk had to manually price match at my location. I wonder if the computers at the store automatically reset the price for a product after a price match?

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member

7. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Well-Known Member

My local Walmart changes the prices in their system to whatever ad price I bring with me. Theyr'e happy to match and or beat any store. They also always have more widescreen than pan & scam.

Aaron

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Well-Known Member

Aaron, which Wal-Mart do you go to? And please don't say the one on Wilmington because I've had nothing except horror stories trying to price match there. The Beavercreek store is the only one I ever have decent luck at.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    I thought ET was $14.87 at all Wal-marts? Or did you buy it after the initial price went up?

10. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, It's the one on Springboro Pike south of the Dayton mall.

Aaron

11. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Well-Known Member

I called my local Wal*Mart, and they said they absolutely DO *NOT* price match any store price. I called my Local Best Buy, and they said that they do price match. So, it looks like I'll be picking this up at Best Buy. I wonder which store is selling it for only $9.99.

12. Brandon_S

Aaron,

E.T. rang up at Wal-Mart (for me anyway) at around $22.99. I had to ask the lady to manually price match according to my K-Mart ad that week that showed it for $14.95. Now I bought this movie right at midnight, and was possibly the first person in the store to actually purchase the movie, hence my theory above. Last night, I didn't make it to Wal-Mart until around 2 am, and Spider-man had already been knocked down to $14.77.

Mitch,

I can't believe your Wal-Mart won't price match. That is very odd. In my old hometown we have the smallest Wal-Mart in the state of Kentucky and they still price match (with ad of course).

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    compusa in delaware on concord road is 14.99. at least thats what it rang up for me.

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Well-Known Member

I'd guess CompUSA will loss leader AOTC for 9.99, and have just a few P&S copies per store, no widescreen. They pulled this crap with Harry Potter.

15. DavidBL

DavidBL Well-Known Member

Mitch,

The one time I price matched at Best Buy (Schoolhouse Rock) the checkout employee actually called Target to verify that they were in stock before she'd adjust the price. If the $9.99 price is indeed a "first 25 copies" at CompUSA or some such thing, and you try to price match it at BB, you might not get it if the competitor is out of stock. With a price that low, they'll almost certainly try to verify it.

16. Bob-N

Bob-N Well-Known Member

I was pretty fortunate that Wally-mart matched the Harry Potter CompUSA after talking with their manager. I didn't hit Wally-mart until lunchtime after hitting CompUSA at 945am and finding out they only had 20 copies total.

I hope to do the same if it's CompUSA. My guess is Kmart as the original poster said VHS or DVD which is Kmart's loss leader format.

Bob

17. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Kmart priced match the CompUSA Harry Potter deal for me. (Kmart actually had widescreen versions.)

18. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Well-Known Member

I believe I wound up getting the price match at K-Mart too. Best Buy almost did it, then weaseled out saying the ad says something about special in store savings, was not the same as it selling at the cheaper price.

19. Tom De Rosa

Tom De Rosa Well-Known Member

I've heard it's the place where it's almost

the Toys R Us time of year!

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

CompUSA is evil. Their loss leaders are a joke. If the best comes of it, Walmart will premark their stock for the price match, but nobody else will match an out-of-stock CompUSA.