What's new

Anything better then a Tivo? (1 Viewer)

FFHUFF

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarred
They just dropped the price of the series 3 Tivos. Im really thinking of picking up a couple of them to replace the Series 2 DTs I have currently. I have all HD plasma TVs and I just finished running all the HDMI cables up the walls and into the hidden component closets.

My concern is that something better is out there which I have not explored. Can I set up a media PC for under the $1200 that I would spend on tivos? Is there a better option out there in general anyway?

I could go with one central unit that I could access from several areas of the home at the same time but I want to make sure it runs smoothly. Has anyone set something like this up yet?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

The problem with Tivo and any cablecard enabled device for me is that they encrypt all Digital Content. WTH is the point of spending $500+ for a Tivo or $1900 for a Cablecard enabled PC if you're so damned restricted with the content? As much as I love getting what new out there the instant price is reasonable, I will skip these lemons.

You might want to get a ATSC DVD Recorder with Hard drive. They can be found for $160-$300's. I have a non hard drive model at home and despite a minute or so startup time for disc reading, it works like a charm.

There is also something called the HD Homerun, but I don't know much about that.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder, works great. So far, it hasn't kept me from recording any content off my cable box. And I don't have to pay a monthly fee, like I would with TIVO or a DVR from my cable company. You set it to record with the timer, just as you would a VCR. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks