What's new

Anyone want to recommend a decent DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am looking for a simple DVD recorder
that does primarily -R/-RW as well as
+R/+RW.

Would like Progressive Scan. Price? $200-$300

Just need it to hook up to my Tivo.

I was looking at the Panasonic models
but I read that they don't automatically
chapter encode the discs making it difficult
to do editing.

I'd otherwise be considering the Panasonic.

Just hoped one of you recently bought
a DVD recorder you are happy with.

Please provide model #.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a priviledge to help out a founding father of HTF!

I'm in the market too and I think with your price range, this Sony for $299 provides some nice editing features and flexibility w/out having a hard drive. I have read some good things too about this Toshiba which allows for some basic editing too w/o a hard drive. Click on the "Hands On" tabs for more info on each of those web pages.

I was in Costco today and they had this Liteon for $299. Not sure what you think about that brand.

It is my understanding from what I read that the Panasonics don't mark recorded disks as 16x9,whereas the Sony and Toshiba both do. That may be important to you or not. I have an HDTivo that I'm dumping from, so that's of interest to me.

Peace,

DM

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Looking at reviews....the Sony ROCKS!

Thanks for this information, David. You
may have me sold!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Cool. It really is the best price on that Sony model that I've seen from a reputable online dealer.

Your forum has been invaluable to me for over 6 years so I am glad to help.

I may get this Samsung and run it through the paces b/c I'm interested in dubbing some VHS stuff. But if I don't like it, I'll take it back and order that Sony. Hope the price holds out.

Peace,

DM

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
A quick note: I've found that using the DVD recorder for playback is not the best option.

First, you'll pay extra for playback quality that can be handled by very reasonable DVD players. Also, you'll want to upgrade to an HDTV player soon. Second, I encountered a number of times when I was burning a DVD that I also wanted to play a DVD. Helps with the HT scheduling issues. :)

jdg

wally

Second Unit
Since posting a similar thread, I’ve found this Samsung DVD-R120 . It has 1394 inputs that I’m leaning heavily toward.

$200 and under, but I’ve seen it mentioned in threads going back to late 2003 so it might be an older model.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, based on research and reviews
I have been doing since originally posting
this thread, I am leaning towards purchasing
this Pioneer model that has firewire capability.
The only drawback is that it records only -R/-RW,
but that seems to be the most preferred and
compatable format anyhow.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I actually began with that Pioneer model and can't remember why I kept looking. It has good user comments at Videohelp.

Here's an interesting review that peaked my curiosity:

Not sure if this is common, but that would allow you to easily dump programs from your HDTivo, which is what I'm looking for. Variable bit rate is nice too along with the DV input.

If you get it, give us your take. I haven't found any information on wether this Pioneer marks 16x9 flag properly or not. I'd like a more hands on review of its' editing features too, if you find one.

Peace,

DM

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that that Pioneer model is a fine recorder, I would like to point out here that the Panasonic models *do* provide for automatic chapter stops when finalizing a recording to DVD-R. The chapter stops do not automatically appear on the menu, but they're there, at five minute intervals, throughout the recording. (Again, they're not available until the disc is "finalized".)

I also like the Panasonic models support for DVD-RAM which allows the same DVD to be used over again for up to 100,000 times. The only problem with DVD-RAM discs is that they're currently hard to obtain over the counter at B&M stores. So you pretty much have to order them from e-tailers.

Finally, the Panasonic HD-based units (which cost around $450-$650) allow for editing of recordings, including manual chapter stops with titles, on the hard drive; with high-speed dubbing from the hard drive to finalized DVD-R discs. I've found this feature to be invaluable when dubbing and cleaning up old camcorder recordings.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I'm embarassed to say I don't know. I just have analog cable and a 4:3 set. If there's a way I can test and determine, let me know and I'll try it out.

Good luck with your purchase and have fun! I cannot imagine ever having been without my recorders!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ron,

Not sure if you've seen this, but oh my goodness, this is a thorough review of the Pioneer unit you mentioned.

I haven't read through it yet, but thought I'd pass it along.

Peace,

DM

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm....

This gets even more interesting....

The unit goes for about $299.

But check out this listing from B&H Photo (whom I
use regularly).

The unit is listed as a "Multi System, Multi Zone"
player. Also take note that it is listed under PAL
systems as well.

Now....if this is a true multi-region player with
PAL capable output then this is truly a DREAM COME TRUE.

Any second opinions?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The Sony is the best option, since it records in DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW. (You'll find that DVD+RW is much more compatible with players than DVD-RW, if that situation is a concern.)

Next best: the newest line of Panasonics, which can record in DVD-R, DVD-RW (video mode only), DVD-RAM and DVD+R. No DVD+RW recording or DVD-RW (vr mode) recording, but the machines *will* play those back just fine.

If only the Panasonic units would record on DVD+RW they'd be truly universal but as it stands having a DVD recorder that will play back any of 6 different types of recordable discs is awesome.

These new Panasonics (starting under $200) also have a feature that produces a LP picture that is substanstially better than older/other models.

The Pioneer multi-zone model sounds sweet though!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

No, I don't. :frowning:

I'm tentatively eyeing late 2006 as upgrade time, including flat panel TV. I'll need to do a lot of research, as all the technical stuff is very confusing to me.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Weird. . .that B&H page refers to the recorder as DVR320S and as DVR320SM. I wonder if they got confused with a European model which does NTSC/PAL? Looking at Pioneer's site and brochure, it doesn't mention anything about PAL on the 320S. Maybe if you download the manual from Pioneer's page, you can check on this.

I tend to think B&H got confused -- I'm sure this would be widely discussed if the 320S were PAL, all-region capable! Or maybe they ARE carrying the 320SM, which may be European.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay some clarification after calling B&H....

Other than a demo unit, they no longer have the
Pioneer 320-s unit in stock.

They DO have the 320SM in stock. It is a multi-region
player with Pal output, but it does not have a PAL
to NTSC decoder built in like the MALATA DVD players.

He said you would need a multi-region TV to play
PAL material.

...this is what I am being told.

I am now leaning towards that Sony again, but
it needs to have firewire input so I can use
it with any future digital camcorder. I don't
think it has firewire capability -- and perhaps,
since my knowledge in that area is shady, maybe
I don't need firewire input for a camcorder
transfere and something else instead.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm done reading it. Ron, I'm trusting you picked up on the fact that the review I sent you was a region 2 machine.

The US version seems to ditch the Scart connections in favor of more AV inputs / outputs, but I'm thinking that PAL output may not be a part of the US player as well. I can't confirm this, but I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere on these online retail sites.

I'm ready to buy, but I'm going to wait until you pull the trigger and answer my concerns. ;)

Peace,

DM

wally

Second Unit
My Sony camcorder has FireWire out as well as composite, so FireWire is not a must. 1394 will get you to the recorder all digital, but will ultimately be converted to analog for the MPEG 2 compression from what I understand. I figure having the FireWire input on the recorder will get me the best cleanest signal possible to compress, so I’m looking for FW input on my recorder.

UGGGG!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks