What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (second try) (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ok, today is shaping up to be a pretty shitty day at work, so I'm going to spare myself the stress until after work tonight (5pm Pacific Time).

Since this is a long weekend in Canada, I'll have 3 days away to give it my best shot.

I'm such a wimp. :b

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Dude..I have a court case to get thru...suing an ex tenent for breaking a lease..but after that..I am with you! Wanted to quit in Feb. but the thing keeps getting postponed..so once done..I quit!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
My quit date is Monday July 1st. I'm not a heavy smoker almost a pack-a-day. They are just damn expensive. I smoke 555's and they are outrageous in price now. I need to quit, I'm gonna be 34..ouch! it's time. This is psych yourself up weekend. I really want to be done with them.
Keep going Rain, I'll join you in hell on Monday. Good Luck.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Excellent, guys. Excellent.
I would advise those of you who are joining in over the weekend to avoid Bogie movies for a few days.
If you absolutely cannot, try to remember that the dude died of throat cancer.
Link Removed

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just think about the commercial with the lady who has a hole in her throat...then smokes through it. yuck!

seriously though...it's going to be all mental for you. if you really want to do it, then it'll be easier.

my grandmother smoked for something like 20 years. we're talking old traditional chinese smoking here - she used to take the tobacco and put it on what was essentially a giant bamboo bong. (i still crack up thinking about it). no filter, no nothing. finally the doc said you'd better quit or else. she stopped cold turkey that day - everyone was amazed.

i also had what could be classified as an addiction (let's just say it wasn't to cigarettes) - when i finally decided it was time to quit i also was able to stop cold turkey.

i suppose all i'm saying is it's a mindset thing.

btw - i've never really understood the craving to smoke. i don't think it's a physical-type addiction is it? so, what is the craving from? what do you get out of smoking? i had a friend who used to smoke and if he didn't...he would get all antsy. never could figure it out. just curious...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I personally feel that smoking is 99.99% a psychological habit. The actual "withdrawal pangs" aren't much to write home about. It's what your mind does when you try to quit that makes it hard.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...that's kind of what i figured. well, at any rate, i wish you much success rain. i'm rootin' for ya! :D

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I quit as of last night. I dont smoke a lot compared to some people (only about 4-8 smokes a day) but I haven't been feeling great lately so I've decided to say fuck it, enough smoking (all forms :D ).
Rain,
Good luck buddy, just remember that if you cave you're not a bad or weak person. Just dont let a cave stop you from quitting again. If you quit for a week and then you have one smoke break it doesn't mean that your hooked all over again, just think of it as "slowly" quitting or weaning (sp?) yourself off them.
-Marshall

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
A word to the wise...about 99% of people who try to quit smoking cold turkey fail. Some can do it, but it's really rare. Don't be afraid to use other methods.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I used to smoke a pack a day. Then I decided it was WAY to expensive and I tried to quit. I started using the Nicorett (sp?) gum and after only 2 packs, I BEAT IT! Haven't smoked since, nor used the gum. Everyone who smokes should try it at least. The ones who says they don't believe in it or says it's poor substitute for a cigarette are the ones that don't REALLY want to quit. I would suggest anyone who wants quit to try it out.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Guys, this is delightfully encouraging.. There's a lot of great vibes in this thread. :)
Rain : Be strong enough to beat it.
I personally feel that smoking is 99.99% a psychological habit.
Not true, but when you're quitting, it certainly feels that way. Anyway, more power to you. Keep active, and keep doing the things you like.
Best regards.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: I commend you all that are kicking the habit! I am a Respiratory Care Practitioner, and have been in this field about 13 years. I have seen it all! From the radical throat and neck surgery from throat cancer...to the ol' lunger smoking Camels from the tracheostomy hole in his neck. This is indeed a WICKED habit... a socially accepted death certificate. If anyone would like to know what lung disease feels like, try this. Run in place as fast as you can for 120 seconds. Pinch your nose. Now take a drinking straw and place it in your mouth. Close your lips around it firmly....and breathe through it. Now imagine breathing like that, for say, 5 - 10 years...until you finally suffocate to death. Not fun.
Keep up the non smoking efforts! YOU CAN DO IT!
Darren Mortensen RCP/CRT

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Feb. 14 2002 (yes my valentine to myself) Though I've cheated on several occassions since by bumming a cigarette, I haven't actually bought a pack. Smoking can be an enjoyable social activity like drinking but never let it dominate you and turn into the addictive crutch that it really is.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I personally feel that smoking is 99.99% a psychological habit. The actual "withdrawal pangs" aren't much to write home about. It's what your mind does when you try to quit that makes it hard.
One word... ZYBAN
The withdrawal pains were pretty crappy but it was always the mental aspect for me as well. I was about three packs a day for about eight years and I quit last Jan. 21st after a two week supply of Zyban. If you know a doctor he will probably just let you have the little sample packs for free. I'm telling you all that once insurance companies decide to cover this drug (which of course they never will :rolleyes:) there will no longer be a debate about being able to quit, it will just be about wanting to quit.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I know how that goes. :frowning: I tried to do it cold turkey so many times but it just was too much (yeah, I know I'm weak :) ). I just knew if I could get by the first three days I could quit. I still miss it and somebody once said that life without smoking is fine, but its never as fun. That to some degree is true, hell, its a drug. Every time I want a smoke now I just now think would the joy of lighting up again be worth the joy of lying in bed at night hating myself for not being able to quit. I don't really miss how it made me feel, its more like losing a friend, as shallow as that seems. I smoked so often for so long it was just like loneliness the first few days. So after 6 months, I rarely have moments where I want to have a smoke, but I still miss it on a companion type level since for the last 8 years it was always with me. I am sure that will go away in time but I can 100 percent guarantee I will never go back to smoking again, its just not worth the small level of satisfaction it supplied. I wouldn't give up Rain but I will honestly give you this piece of advice if you go the Zyban route (you start taking it a week in advance before you quit smoking) is truly enjoy the last week of smoking. You will seriously miss it, so just remember everything you like about it and puff away with a smile, it makes the separation process much more amicable. :D

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Gee Rain, I've been thinking about quitting for some time now. I quit for over 4 months last year and picked up some weight and began smoking again. I quit on the patch and the patch gave me nightmares. I've heard it does that to quite a few people.

I just put out a cigarette and started thinking about the DVD reward program. Sounds inticing....

Cigarettes go up 50 cents a pack tomorrow here in Indiana so I stocked up today and then I found this thread.

I have a couple friends who have been smoke free for more than 20 years and quit cold turkey. I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to do without any assistance from gums or patches. They say that's the way to quit.

One thing I do know..as I quit before is that you usually fail the first time and to not be discouraged because it actually gets easier each time you try to quit. I guess now is as good of time as any and I'm going to try to kick the habit starting...NOW.

Thanks for the thread it got be thinking again. I hate smelling of smoke and being a slave to any habit.

Good luck to you....and good luck to me.

Peace,
Eve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks