What's new

Anyone want to quit smoking with me? (second try) (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I couldn't find the previous thread I started about this, so I'm starting a new one.

Lately, I'm becoming more and more grossed out by the whole smoking thing. I've gone a few evenings now without smoking, smoking only when I'm at work, and it doesn't seem to be driving me crazy or anything.

Then of course, there is the expense. A pack of smokes here costs $7-$8 now. At full throttle, I smoke about a pack and a half a day. That translates into about 10 DVDs a month. I think I'd rather have the DVDs.

So, this thread is here if anyone wants to give it a go with me. It's also here so that we can lend each other support.

If I recall correctly, I think we had at least one successful quitter with the last thread (Sean Conklin?). In addition to hearing from some new quitters, I'd be interested in hearing how the previous quitters have fared so far.

Butch C

Second Unit
RAIN!
I have been using the Nicoderm CQ patch for 9 days now and I could do this standing on my head...ITS awesome!
Below is a link that will give a running counter of money/life saved by quitting...since last Sunday Ive saved $120!!!!!!!!!
As a guide I was smoking 2+ packs a day for 10 years...I have maybe one bad craving a day on this patch...get to the store pick up the patch NOW while your digusted and ready to quit and write back
http://www.marshallnet.com/mikealft/smokfree.htm

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks, Butch, but I am personally resolved to quit cold turkey without any assistive devices. But I'm glad to hear it's working for you.
And, of course, all quitters are welcome to join in this thread, regardless of the method beying employed.
:emoji_thumbsup:

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I've tapered down my smoking from almost 2 packs a day to 1-2 per day. It's still not good, but it's better than I was. I think now is the time to quit for good. I've got a new place, and I'm getting married next year, so now's as good a time as any. I'm wit ya!

Heinz W

Second Unit
Way to go Rain! I quit in Nov. of '96 and haven't missed em much at all after the first year. I also went cold turkey. For the first two months or so I carried around those Worther's butterscotch candies and just sucked on one whenever the urge hit. It helped a lot.
One thing I can tell you absolutely is this: If you don't REALLY want to quit, you won't. If you REALLY DO want to quit, you can and you will. Simple as that. Oh, and DO NOT give in the temptation of "just having one" because if you do you're done.
After a few months you'll discover how nice it is not to wake up coughing, and being able to taste your food again, and realizing, as you mentioned, how much money you wasted on cigarettes. It's the best thing you can do for yourself, believe me! Good luck, and "don't give in to the dark side!" :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Good luck to you all!!
I'm not a smoker, but I just wanted to mention that the first try at this wasn't a complete failure. I mean, you did have 1 person successfully quit...but you also inspired me to start the HTF Weight Loss Support Group thread (which seemed to have spawned a Weight Gain Support thread). When I started my diet I knew I would have a hard time the first few weeks and I needed support. Then I remembered Rain's original "quit smoking" thread and it gave me the idea to start a weight loss thread. And so far we've got a few people with quite a bit of success. :D
So thanks...and don't give up you guys! :emoji_thumbsup: Umm...I mean give up smoking...but...oh, you know what I mean. :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I am pleased to announce that I have just returned from my first "smoke break" as a non-smoker. I had a Snickers and an iced tea, but no cigarettes. :)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I was a heavy smoker for over 12 years. I LOVED smoking, and I really thought I would be a smoker for the rest of my life. But one morning, while coughing my lungs out, I decided to plan a "quit day". I took my last puff almost 2 years ago (October 31, 2000). I quit cold turkey (I thought it would be best to get the nicotine out of my system as fast as possible. Worked for me.) I put the money I was spending on my 2+ packs per day habit towards my DVD collection and that really helped keep me motivated. I highly recommend the "DVD Reward Program" :) After just 2 years I've got a pretty good selection of movies to watch, plus I feel GREAT. No more heavy, congested lungs, coughing and shortness of breath. My house always smells fresh, and so do my clothes and breath. It's great not being a slave to the habit. Now I can spend the day at a seminar and not feel that terrible, distracting craving. :frowning:
Good luck, everyone-YOU CAN DO IT!!! You'll be glad you did--being a non-smoker again is a great feeling! :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Rain I'm with ya all the way,I quit about 5 years ago only to start it up again about 10 months ago.The first time I quit I just dropped it from 2 packs a day to nothing at all with no help of any kind except for my disgust of the habit.
So know I'm on my second go at it,it seams a little harder this time around thanks to the wife doing it all the time,she lights & I just got to do it too you know how it goes Im sure.

So anyway best of luck to ya, I hope to again say that Im a non smoker but this time I would like it to stay that way.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Rain, I'd love to say that I'm with you. However, I've tried to quit 3 times this year... my wife is a smoker, and I just can't do it. I can stay off the smokes for around 2 or 3 days, but I end up caving.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Any successful quitters who smoked for a really long time?

I've been smoking heavily (2 packs a day) for 34 years and at the age of 52 am starting to feel a heaviness in my chest most mornings, but no bad cough.

I know I should quit, if only to save myself the $80 a week I'm spending on cigarets (2 cartons a week at about $38 per). That works out to over $300 a month which would retire my credit card debt in a hurry.

I'm a recovering Alcoholic, quit drinking in 1980 with a lot of help from that organization which shall remain nameless but is usually among the first numbers in the phone book. I was crazy as a loon for a couple or 5 years after I quit and am afraid I can't go through that again with stopping smoking which is a much worse addiction than drinking ever was.

I was able to stop drinking on the first try, and could not accept not being able to quit smoking the same way--cold turkey and for good. I just can't face going through that withdrawal hell that us addictive types suffer all over again--it really scares the hell out of me.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to schedule a week or so off work for the attempt so as to get through the first week with as little stress as possible, though I do smoke much more at home than at work.

Any ideas will help--would the patch or gum be "cheating?" I've known fellow alkies who tried to quit smoking on the gum and ended up addicted to that!

Heinz W

Second Unit
Well, I smoked for about 20 years at about 2 packs a day so I'd like to think having quit for almost six years is a tremendous accomplishment. For me, working helped to quit as it kept me busy. If you are idle I think you're more likely to resume smoking.

Like I said above the key is having AN UNWAVERING, TOTAL RESOLVE that you are finished with cigarettes forever. An intermediate "crutch" can help. Some people chew gum, I ate Worther's butterscotch candies. I hate to use a cliche but if I can do it anyone can! Go for it!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
my father got a light stroke last week. he loves to work. he works 7 days a week, and he was a heavy smoker.

he is fine now, he could walk, he could think clearly, but he doesnt speak as clearly as before. lets say he speaks 90 percent clearly.

now, about the nicoderm patch.

1- how long does it take for you to stop smoking with the help of that nicoderm patch?

2- there is no nicoderm in my home country ( i live in chicago now, dad in jakarta, indonesia ). is there any alternative? if not, i really want to know how much the shipping cost would be.

3- is it effective?

4- is there a negative side effect? i mean, my dad has high blood pressure. is it save for him?

I DONT WANT my father to continue smoking anymore. i love him so much. please help.

if i was still with him, i would put every single cigarrete he has into my butt first before he starts smoking again, simply to remind him not to smoking anymore.

smoking is the silliest thing he has ever done. luckily i dont smoke at all.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Previous smoker checking in here. I quit 7 years ago. Prior to that I spent about 2 years quitting off and on. All in all I was a 10+ year smoker. I think I got to the same point as Rain did, I was just disgusted by the whole smoking thing. I also did not like feeling like some stupid little plant had that much control over me.

Before quitting successfully I tried quitting using the gum and the patch. Each time I was able to quit for some time but always went back to smoking. When I finally kicked Marlboro's for good I used the good old fashioned "cold turkey" method. At that point I had such a strong desire to kick this habit in butt that I was finally successful. From my experience the first 24-48 hours are physical, after that it's all mental. When you get to the mental part it's up to you to make some lifestyle changes. For a while try to avoid things that trigger that urge to smoke, ie. coffee, alcohol, boredom etc. The best thing you can do is keep busy and get some exercise. When my urges became unbearable I would stop whatever I was doing and go outside and run around the block once or twice. Enough to get the blood moving and make me winded. Sounds silly, but it worked for me.

Best of luck to those kicking the habit. You can do it.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I'm ashamed to say that I broke down and smoked this morning. I'm not feeling very good about it.

Don't give up on me yet, though. I'm going to try to start fresh again today. Wish me luck.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Absolutely, good luck.
Do it, even if you have to start over a couple of times.
My family smoked heavily except me.
And the verdict?
My mom and my twin brother aren't with us anymore, and my dad has emphysema, but, he put 'em down ten whole years ago.
Kudos to you guys who are trying. I'm sure all the people who care about you will be so happy you are trying. .:emoji_thumbsup:

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I've been smoke-free since Wednesday night. But it's just mostly due to sleep/work. The big test will be this weekend when I'm around all my friends who smoke. But I will do this. I'm tired of being winded after running up and down the steps. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks