What's new

Anyone using SodaStream? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
That's one thing I've never understood (taste) complaints of Stevia or Splenda. I get ZERO aftertaste at all with either of them. NONE. It just tastes like sugar to me..albeit more powerful of a jolt of it.

Now the blue or pink sweetner packs are HORRIBLE and without a doubt have a bad aftertaste and taste quite "chemical" to me and I don't use them and won't drink items with it. Just too gross. That's not the case at all with Splenda for me,

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Alf S said:
That's one thing I've never understood (taste) complaints of Stevia or Splenda. I get ZERO aftertaste at all with either of them. NONE. It just tastes like sugar to me..albeit more powerful of a jolt of it.

Now the blue or pink sweetner packs are HORRIBLE and without a doubt have a bad aftertaste and taste quite "chemical" to me and I don't use them and won't drink items with it. Just too gross. That's not the case at all with Splenda for me,

Taste varies among people. Some people get the aftertaste, some do not. Others probably have no issues with the blue/pink choices, whereas you can taste the difference.

I don't have any issues with Splenda or Stevia. I've used both in drinks and cooking, and haven't noticed any odd taste. But I know some do.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Alf S said:

Stevia tastes like metal to me. Wish it didn't. But to me, it tastes like sucking on a metal spoon.

Splenda is a little weirder to me. When it's served absolutely freezing cold, it tastes almost like sugar to me, but as soon as it loses any of the chill (even when it's just cool instead of cold), I get that weird chemical aftertaste. But it's not worth it for me to try to drink anything with it, because at best I'll get one or two good sips before the weird aftertaste starts coming in.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure that I've actually tried stevia, but I have no issues with yellow, blue, or pink packets.

Strangely, I get a weird taste from the Sugar in the Raw turbinado packets in coffee. I avoid them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, a month-and-a-half after I posted this picture taken at my local Target store of the sodastram syrup shelves...

gallery_286742_34_54372.jpg

I can now post this image from tonight's trip (while scouting out my MF Bu-ray:

gallery_286742_34_19912.jpg

The newly redesigned syrup containers are clearly on display.

It was easy to see (based on a couple scragglers of the old design) that the new bottles contain less syrup:

gallery_286742_34_48580.jpg

16.9 oz. vs. 14.8 oz.

And the syrup is on sale this week 2 for $10 at Target. Regular price is $5.99/container. It was the same tonight at my local Wal-Mart. New containers at $5.99 apiece.

gallery_286742_34_16449.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm still mourning the loss of their Sparkling Natural line sweetened with cane sugar. Those were the reason I bought my machine. I've got a few bottles of some of the flavors left, but when those are gone I think I'm done with the machine.

In the grand scheme of things not having my first choice of soda isn't the end of the world. But to have had a year or so of some of the most perfect sugared drinks I've ever had and then to not be able to get them anymore is sad. (I think this is officially the moment where I have to stop teasing my parents for pointing out how much better candy was when they were kids.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
My wife is having issues with the new artificial sweetener (sucralose) that Diet Pepsi has used to replace aspartame. It seems to be upsetting her stomach. She has had to switch to Diet Coke only now.

I've been wondering if there have been any other complaints about that.

You can see all those Sparkling water syrups on that top shelf, Josh. I didn't look at them to see about the sweetener though. I'm sure you have checked things out accurately.

Since my wife and I are big diet soda drinkers, we are now running into problems when we go to restaurants which stock Pepsi products as my wife can't drink the Diet Pepsi! PITA.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately I did! They replaced the cane sugar with fructose. They kinda taste like carbonated Vitamin Water. Very weak flavor. It doesn't have the taste or consistency of real soda in my opinion. I tried adding more of the syrup but that just made it sweeter without making the flavor any stronger, if that makes any sense.

I heard that Pepsi changed their Diet formula. I'm not a big fan of diet soda in general (they all have weird after tastes to me) but I've got some unhappy coworkers who used to love their Diet Pepsi but can't stand it now.

Couldn't they have just personally called us before discontinuing out favorite products and asked our opinions first? Or sent us their remaining supplies of the old formulas for free? :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I tried out the “Cola” syrup. It’s ok. It’s not Coke. But it’s a decent flavor. It has some artificial sweetener (sucralose), despite not being “diet”, and I wish it was all sugar. I don’t think this will replace sodas (esp. Coke Zero) for me. But it’s an interesting and fun variant. And it made a pretty good Rum and Coke.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I tried out the “Cola” syrup. It’s ok. It’s not Coke. But it’s a decent flavor. It has some artificial sweetener (sucralose), despite not being “diet”, and I wish it was all sugar. I don’t think this will replace sodas (esp. Coke Zero) for me. But it’s an interesting and fun variant. And it made a pretty good Rum and Coke.

That’s why I no longer can enjoy SodaStream - their regular flavors are exclusively made with blends of sugar and artificial sweetener, and I just can’t do the artificial stuff. No value judgment if it works for people but as a taste thing, it didn’t work for me. If I’m going to have a soda that’s loaded with calories, I want to enjoy what it tastes like. If I’m going to put up with the taste of artificial sweetener, then I need it to be a zero calories beverage so I’m getting something in return. The SodaStream syrups for me are the worst of both worlds - artificial sweetener aftertaste but real sugar calories.

They used to have a line of “natural” syrups that were sweetened solely with cane sugar and some of those flavors were divine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fortunately, I didn’t get it as a soda replacement, though it’s something I’ll play with. I mostly got it for to try as a replacement to no-calorie beverages like Sparkling Ice.
https://www.sparklingice.com/

I’ve only tried the included Lemon flavoring, which is ok. I’ll try more of those flavorings in the future. And I’m also interested in the Tonic syrup, for the occasion that I make a Gin and Tonic, though it might be easier to just have Schweppes in the fridge.

so far, I’ve really enjoyed unflavored fizzy water. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That’s why I no longer can enjoy SodaStream - their regular flavors are exclusively made with blends of sugar and artificial sweetener, and I just can’t do the artificial stuff. No value judgment if it works for people but as a taste thing, it didn’t work for me. If I’m going to have a soda that’s loaded with calories, I want to enjoy what it tastes like. If I’m going to put up with the taste of artificial sweetener, then I need it to be a zero calories beverage so I’m getting something in return. The SodaStream syrups for me are the worst of both worlds - artificial sweetener aftertaste but real sugar calories.

They used to have a line of “natural” syrups that were sweetened solely with cane sugar and some of those flavors were divine.
That makes no sense at all, to use sugar and artificial sweetener. I don’t doubt you, but it’s so stupid. Aren’t there other options for flavorings besides with soda stream offfers?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That makes no sense at all, to use sugar and artificial sweetener. I don’t doubt you, but it’s so stupid. Aren’t there other options for flavorings besides with soda stream offfers?

Yeah, but I got lazy. You can usually buy actual Coke or Pepsi syrup from wholesalers. I bought a jug of Dr Pepper syrup and that was divine. But the problem for me was, I was just drinking way too much of the stuff and it’s hard to exercise self control when you have a five gallon jug of Coca Cola classic syrup just waiting to be mixed with carbonated water. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What is the smallest amount of soda that can be made? How well does the fizz last in the soda?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks