What's new

Anyone remember University Stereo or Zody's? (stores that aren't around anymore) (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this was just in CT, but how about Grants or Kings? They were similar to Caldor.

As far as Stereo equipment, Sound Playground was a big one for me until they were bought out by Bernies.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Grant's and Caldors were popular in NY as well. Caldor was very similar to Target today. WT Grant's disappeared a long time ago. I can barely remember Grants but I think it was similar to Target as well. How about Woolworth's, one of the original five and dime stores. I remember my grandmother taking me to the Woolworth's lunch counter all the time. You'd pop a balloon to see how much you'd pay for a banana split.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Woolworths reminds me of the old K-Mart's. I remember the K-Mart restaurant that used to be inside of the K-Mart here in CT. While my mom shopped, my brother and I used to go sit in a booth and drinks soda. I guess you'd never allow children to do that now a days, but (before all the kidnapping frenzy) it was fun when I was a younger.

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
We don't have a Fry's in Colorado. I've only seen the typical Best Buy, Circuit City, and Soundtrack (Ultimate Electronics).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Anyone remember The Treasury dept store in Memphis? They owned by JC Penny back in the 70's. The Treasury was basically a pharmacy chain. At some point they decided to produce a Service Merchandisc/Wal-Mart/Woolco mutantation.

I still remember til this day the large selection of pre-recorded open reel tapes they had. I also got my first Testers engine powered car with a recoil starter made of fishing line.

Anyone remember Goldsmith's in downtown Memphis? How about Crandelet Dixie Mart?

Devin U

Second Unit
I remember Fed mart as a kid. It's now a Target in my town. Also Service merchandise and Best (like SM). also remember going to the Woolworth's with Mom and the Yellow Front with Dad for all our sporting good stuff. I know Woolworts is still big in the UK. is it part of the Wollies that was here in the US?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey, I bought my first real stereo system from University Stereo. It had a Marantz 20 watt/channel receiver, two ESP 6 speakers, and, well I can't remember the turntables name. It made me hotshot on campus.

As for Federated, that's where I first heard electrostatic speakers and the ESS AMT speakers, which I still wouldn't mind owning.

StephenA

Screenwriter
There used to be Bonanza's, Zayre's, Child World/Children's Palace, Ames, Service Merchandise, Lechemere, Woolworth's and Bradlee's here. There were probably others, but I don't remember them at the moment.

I dunno why Bonanza's resterant left because I was little when it left, but the 99 resterant now occupies the place.

Ames took over Zayre's here, but Target, K-Mart and Wal-Mart put them outta business.

Bradlee's had a similar fate as Ames due to the big 3, so Kohl's took over the places where Bradlee's was.

When Toys R Us moved in, that pretty much spelled the end to Child World/Children's Palace.

I don't think Lechemere and Service Merchandise could compete with places like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, or all the department stores, so that's why they went under.

Woolworth's ended up becoming a cheapo store here, and most people don't go there and they just weren't making money.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Lechmere was actually owned by Woolworth. When Woolworth went bankrupt several years ago, they decided to liquidate the still-profitable and successful Lechmere chain rather than sell it. I always thought this was an odd move, but potential buyers might have seen that the days of the regional appliance/electronics store were numbered. Not surprisingly, the departure of Lechmere heralded the entrance of Best Buy to the Boston area.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 1986 vintage Sony KV-25XBR still going strong in my bedroom was purchased at Federated!

I remember going into Federated in '85, ignorant and intending on buying one of those "100 watt" Fisher "rack systems"--the ones that came with huge speakers with 12" woofers and lotsa flashing lights and sold for $1,000 or so.

The salesman dragged me into the back room and turned on the whizbang Fisher, then turned it off and said "listen to this" and I heard something so much better--A 30 wpc Yamaha receiver and a pair of modest looking Boston Acoustics speakers, total cost about $350. I don't know what happenned to that salesman, but I suspect he's as extinct as Federated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks