What's new

Anyone psyched for "Salem's Lot"...? (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The original scared the piss out of me as a little kid, but it's kinda cheesy now that I watch it as an adult. By no means is it great. I still don't understand the Nosferatu looking dude.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The original scared the piss out of me as a little kid, but it's kinda cheesy now that I watch it as an adult. By no means is it great. I still don't understand the Nosferatu looking dude.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The original was a classic but this was unfaithful? I don't remember Barlow looking like a crossbreed between an Oompa Loompa and Nosferatu in the book. And what was with the inward curving fangs? How exactly was he supposed to bite anyone with those?
Haven't seen the new one yet (will watch tomorrow night), but it looked promising. I'm very interested to see if the touch upon the history of the Marsten house at all in the remake, as I don't remember them doing so in the original version.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The original was a classic but this was unfaithful? I don't remember Barlow looking like a crossbreed between an Oompa Loompa and Nosferatu in the book. And what was with the inward curving fangs? How exactly was he supposed to bite anyone with those?
Haven't seen the new one yet (will watch tomorrow night), but it looked promising. I'm very interested to see if the touch upon the history of the Marsten house at all in the remake, as I don't remember them doing so in the original version.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
just saw a tv ad, and it is the new one that they'll be showing this weekend. despite the liberties it took, i liked it well enough, but they needed a different actor than rob lowe for the lead. however, the atmosphere, set design and cinematography were done quite well.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
just saw a tv ad, and it is the new one that they'll be showing this weekend. despite the liberties it took, i liked it well enough, but they needed a different actor than rob lowe for the lead. however, the atmosphere, set design and cinematography were done quite well.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It was well made but.. I didn't get any kind of feeling at all from it. It was just a bunch of famous people in a small town acting weird.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I'm glad I listened to the reviews and skipped it..

It's one of my favorite SK novels.. Wouldn't want to ruin any pre-concieved (and beloved) images that I'd already formed in my head..

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I finished reading the book a week before this TNT version aired and I gotta tell you, I wasn't happy with the "re-imagining". Matt Burke gay? Father Callahan evil? Mark Pietri has only one parent? And the worst one of all, doctor Cody screwing around with a married woman?? That ruined his character for me. I didn't think these changes were necessary.

I agree that this felt rushed. They jumped from scene to scene way too quick. They could've used another 2 hours. For example, the scene where Ben and Cody are in the funeral home with Mrs. Glic was scary as hell in the book. But this mini-series took about 1 minute to play it out.

I did like how the vamps moved and how their eyes glowed in the dark. That was spooky. But Stephen King's "trademark fangs" were missing from the vamps. Their teeth looked pretty normal to me.

I think having the book fresh in my mind ruined my enjoyment of the mini-series. And now I'm curious about the first mini-series.

PS: In the book, the last we heard about father Callahan was that he was on a bus to NYC right? I wonder why there was no resolution to his story? Or did I miss something?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The resolution of Father Callahan's story takes place in the Dark Tower series, specifically "Wolves of the Callah". Many of King's characters overlap into the Dark Tower and Callahan plays a large part in "Wolves".

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Desperately needed another 2 hours to expand on the story. However, since things move at such a breakneck pace, you can't help but me entertained by it! Worth seeing at the very least.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Yeah! I remember the first time I read it back in 1986 when I was a security guard working the graveyard shift. Certain parts of the book got me so spooked, that instead of taking the elevator to the upper floors to take a wiz during my break, I'd just wait until the morning. That book scared the holy bejeezus out of me. :b

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I read it every summer (8 years, and counting), in broad daylight (I can't put it down once I've begun)..

I still get freaked out..

"You will sleep with the dead, teacher"...

Gets my hackles up every time..

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Anyone know if this is going to be re-broadcast? I was on vacation when it aired and my Tivo only managed to catch the first part for some reason. I really liked the first part and would like to see the second part also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks