What's new

Anyone planning on picking up Unreal 2 tomorrow? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I seem to be one of the few people still very interested in first person shooters in the single player mode. All of the buzz on Unreal II has been very, very good. The first one was a mixed bag for me - incredible graphics, great weapons, but it had virtually no story.

Just curious in this day of online rpgs and fragfests if anyone else was excited about a well done, atmospheric single player fps.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Got mine already, but I can't install it until I get home :frowning:.

Mike

paul h

Supporting Actor
Was really looking forward to it until i read the review on Gamespot, they gave it 7.3

"Because the missions are strictly linear and because there's no multiplayer, there isn't much incentive to play Unreal II again after the roughly 10 hours it takes to beat the game on normal. It has really good graphics, and, apart from its awful dialogue, it's certainly not painful to play--but it lacks the spark that separates truly great shooters from all the rest. It doesn't have Halo's vehicles and clever AI, Serious Sam's over-the-top action and spectacular boss battles, No One Lives Forever 2's inspired level design, or Medal of Honor's memorable set pieces. As shooters go, it's competent but for the most part unremarkable."

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Just read Gamespot's review of the game. Very disappointing.

The really bad dialogue and the bad cutscenes are definite drawbacks. My favorite first person games - the Thief series - have fantastic dialogue/voice acting and tremendously cool cutscenes.

The defensive missions sounds like fun, but the overall review is definitely making me reconsider my enthusiasm. If any HTF members buy it and play it, please post your thoughts. I only buy a few games a year, and want to spend the monely wisely.

Parker

Agent
fry's has it today for $36. i'll be getting it. fps are still my favorite type of pc game.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My favorite first person games - the Thief series - have fantastic dialogue/voice acting and tremendously cool cutscenes
Hey!! A fellow Thief fan! Can't wait for 3.

Back to the subject:

I'm going to skip Unreal II. From the review, it seems as though the only improvement is in the graphics. I don't know about you guys but after spending quality time with the likes of Halo and Medal of Honor, I can't justify an FPS that has simplistic AI, weak story and lousy voice acting. I also CAN'T STAND short-ass games anymore.

The original Unreal was a very long game. What the hell happened with this one?!!? Not enough time to develope it? 5 years not quite good enough?!!? 10 hours is pathetic.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh but, other than the eye candy, this long developed sequel seems to be mostly potatos and not enough meat. The bar has been raised by other great FPS's so, I guess I'm critical on ones that don't quite measure up, especially after having a long development period.

Didn't Legend do this game? Their Wheel of Time was a flop too. Maybe they're the problem????

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Hey!! A fellow Thief fan! Can't wait for 3.
Oh yeah, HUGE fan of the Thief series, though I seem to be too inept to run any fan missions.

I just love the games - great cutscenes, the voice acting, the graphics, the incredible storylines, and of course the missions. My only gripe with II is that the last mission (at least for me) was basically impossible.

Am very much looking forward to III!

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I was anticipating this game until I read the reviews and saw the specs needed. Unfortunately, my graphics card is not powerful enough any more, but I will wait until something better (Doom III) comes along before upgrading my card.

I loved the first Unreal, but was disappointed with how this one seems to have turned out. :frowning:

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gamespot called it "good", but the review is accurate. Unreal II pretty much blows. :frowning:

I finished the first mission, and do not feel compelled to play any further. Guess I'll give "The Road to Rome" a spin...

Rey_Ramos

Agent
The Thief 1 and 2 are, in my opinion, on my top five favorite games and should be up high on the alltime list. Splinter Cell reminds me a lot of it but there is nothing like Thief. As for Unreal II, I'll pass. It's just 10 hours. I can put 10 of gameplay in one night, ofcourse with little sleep :angry: .

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I got Unreal2 yesterday and played though the first hour or so and I couldn't agree more... It just feels "plain". I have NO desire to play anymore of it after only a short while: the cutscenes and voice acting ARE terrible (As far as I've witnessed) and despite its graphic beauty, theres just not enough gameplay. :frowning:

p.s. Thief 1 and 2 Rocked and Unreal2 in NO WAY compares to either of those titles...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Splinter Cell reminds me a lot of it but there is nothing like Thief
My feelings exactly. If Ubisoft would've made the levels more open, like in Thief, I think Splinter Cell would've given Thief a much stronger run for it's money.

The pre-set path through the S.C. levels bothered me. I was expecting more choices, like Garret has.

Even though, I still enjoy running through S.C. from time to time. Maybe they'll (Ubi) will address the "level on rails" concept in S.C.2?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since the original Unreal was so boring a sequel didn't pique my interest at all.

I'm still looking for a new FPS to approach Half-Life in quality (note to self: play Deus Ex) :)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Deus Ex is awesome, very much like a cyber Thief. Try System Shock 2 as well.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

To not put too fine a point on it: you are insane.

That is all.

Note: this comes from a confirmed "Quake rules; Unreal sucks!" type.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Unreal & especially Unreal Tournament were slam dunks, in my opinion. It's amazing how bland UT2k3 and Unreal II are in comparison.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks