What's new

Anyone own the XM BOOMBOX? Opinions (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have been sitting on the fence for the longest
time about buying the $99 XM Boombox.

In theory, the opportunity to bring XM to the
beach or anywhere I want is a terrific convenience.

Problem is, I have read too many negative opinions
about the sound quality of the boombox. Supposidly,
you don't get much volume out of the unit for outside
use, and the more you crank up the volume the more
distorted the sound becomes.

I'm not looking to play the radio for the entire
block, but I would like to have volume that's loud
enough to be heard while washing my car or even
for an outdoor party.

If worse comes to worse I can just plug my Delphi
SkyFi unit into the aux inputs of one of the powerful
boomboxes I already own.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Ron;
I have the XM Audio System Boombox and really like it for what I use it for, but think you might want to wait for an upgraded version or just connect it to an existing setup. About 95% of my use is at work with headphones and for that it's perfect. However I think that Delphi needs to make some improvements before the XM Boombox is a viable option to a larger audience.
  • You're right, the speakers could be improved. I know some people at xmfan.com have switched them out and put good 4" car stereo speakers and the sound has been improved.
  • The handle setup is not the best. Carrying it around is not easy.
  • The volume knob feels small and cheap.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I picked up mine this past weekend as something to use around the pool. Well, it works. The antenna can be a pain. It's basically the same antenna that is used in the home kit.

If you want to leave the antenna attached to the back of the unit, you need to make sure it's pointed in the right direction, otherwise, you need to take it off the back and point it correctly.

The sound quality is very lacking as is the volume. BUT, if you take it for what it is, is does do it's job. I've used it in the garage while working on my car and out back for background music for a little BBQ I had.

I like the fact that it can run on batteries. That makes it an excellent backyard, pool, BBQ boom box. If you aren't looking for audiophile sound quality, go for it.

I'm not looking to play the radio for the entire
block, but I would like to have volume that's loud
enough to be heard while washing my car or even
for an outdoor party.
I used it for those two exact purposes this weekend. It works, but I would like to see another company integrate XM into a higher quality boombox. (But for losts more $$$$$, more than likely). You can't beat it for $99.00 if you already have the Delphi unit.

DwightK

Second Unit
Have it, use it all the time, like it.

It is loud enough to hear over the hot tub jets. Which means it is loud enough for my needs. Also works well when using my telescope in the middle of the night and on camping/archery/astronomy/fishing/cycling/etc. trips.

Just use rechargeable batteries.

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it for my office, but I've ended up using the home cradle with a set of speakers and an amp. I'm sure I'll use it on vacation, but everyone is right about its limitations (especially the handle). Overall, I still think it's a good value and a good first generation product.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I got mine at Circus City when they ran an $89 special and I'm actually using it more often than I thought I would. In fact I keep the SkyFi cradled in it for usual use since it is so convenient.

Is it the best sounding use of the Skyfi? No, of course not (your home system provides that). But is it the best for "casual" listening (like when I have it in the background)? Absolutely.

Yes, I could hack it with upgraded speakers (Polk, etc. as per XMFan.com) but I haven't found the need for this at this point. For serious music listening I have my two main systems. For casual listening (especially talk radio), portability and the utmost convenience - the BOOM BOX is it.

Besides, the Boom Box is a great way to "explain" to people what XM Radio is all about. Nothing better than walking into someone's house with it for instant demo'ing.

It may not be a good fit for everyone but I feel that I got my money's worth with this accessory.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I've mainly used my boombox actually at home to be honest. It allows me to bring XM to whatever room I choose as I only have one cradle at home and another in the office. The versatility is great, and you know - it's not the best thing out there, but for the price, it's pretty decent IMHO. The design itself isn't designed for rugged use, but rather more for stylistic reasons - so I think some care is appropo. It's not a typical boombox, that's for sure! Anyway, xmfanstore.com has it for $89 with a code. I can't remember what it is, but it should be posted on that site (or xmfan.com) somewhere. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks