What's new

Anyone order the Oppo 981 yet? (1 Viewer)

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Can you please elaborate on " not ideal for DLP rear projection" and " does not support component video". I too was looking at getting this set based on Oppo's track record, now I'm not sure!! Many Thahks!

Frost

Auditioning
Real Name
David Sherar
OPPO makes some great stuff, no question - with one caveat, and that is with the Faroudja video processing system. It has known macroblocking issues. True Story: As part of a professional calibration being done to my Samsun 42"plasma, I had a brand-new-in-the-box OPPO 971 set up at the same time. Through the HDMI link, the macroblocking during the dark scenes in DVDs was almost unwatchable - it was that pronounced. Switching to component helped alot but then, you don't get the upconverting capability, so what the f***?!?!?

The pro who did the calibration said the Sammy, to a certain extent, was also to blame, but I hadn't had any issues at all with the previous DVD player that was hooked to the Sammy (JVC single disc player) or the OPPO's current replacement, a Sony upconverting player.

I must also point out that OPPO Customer Service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST to deal with, if you have tech issues OR have to send the set back. I can't say the same for the Canadian e-dealer that I bought the unit from.

The OPPO 970 doesn't use the Faroudja, so it's not affected.

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Ordered one yesterday. Hope its as good as its predecessor. I was initially looking at the Denon. But when the Oppo came in at such an attractive pricing, guess its easy to make the final decision. Next, a tougher challange - Picking a 1080p upconverting receiver with HDMI!!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The 981 not having component is no big deal really as the 971 component output was terrible and essentially useless.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Actually, it is a VERY big deal for those of us who only have component video!

- Steve

Tim Meader

Auditioning
But you realize that by using the component on the 971 you are limited to 480i anyway right? The component output on the 971 is essentially useless unless you are planning on merely using it as a stop-gap until you get a DVI/HDMI display.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
You know, unless things have changed recently, EVERY monitor that utilizes more scan lines than what the dvd format uses already does the upscaling thing.....because it MUST to make sure there are no gaps in the image.

The only reason I can come up with for this popularity of upscaling players is (I guess) that the upscaling is done in the digital domain? Is that correct? FYI: many members here report that their monitor does a better job of upscaling than their upscaling player so "all digital" isn't always better (I don't own an upscaling player myself).

MatthewHA

Grip
This is the problem I am having with my Samsung 32" LCD and the SONY upconverting DVD player--I am getting horrid macroblocking/color-banding on the display, whether through HDMI or component inputs. I took one SONY player back and exchanged it for the same model, but the problem is still there. The picture is unwatchable.

I connected a SONY standard pro-scan player to the Samsung and the picture is fine (though not upconverted to 720p).

Is it the Samsung or the SONY?

I have ordered hte Oppo 981 and hopefully the issue will be solved, but if the macroblocking is still there, the Samsung goes back!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks