What's new

Anyone nervous about Brute Force??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mark

Stunt Coordinator
For months I have been looking forward to this game. Quite frankly, I have been pretty dissapointed with the games released in the first half of 2003. It has been widely thought that this would be the next "killer ap" for the XBOX (has there been one other than Halo and a small window of Splinter Cell exclusivity?). However, constant delays have taken a toll and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of anticipation about its release. I was at EB today and thumbed through the strategy guide and while the graphics were nice, i couldn't tell that they blew away anything out now. There was also talk of the aiming mechanism being slightly off in a demo review.

I hope being labeled as the next Halo (kinda like being labeled as the next Jordan) is not the kiss of death. I wish there were more early reviews. It's the first game I've preordered and I hope I'm not dissapointed.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm waiting for the reviews. I look very foward to this game but before I put money in to it I like to wait for the reviews. I've seen the previews with the various screenshots and I am impressed with it. The game itself does borrow modified coding from Halo for things like aiming and some other stuff. I believe I read that in the last IGN preview. Hope it turns out good, except that nothing can be the next Halo except for Halo 2. *Starts dreaming*

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
i wish brute force had live multiplayer as from what ive seen of single player it looks amazing. But you can never tell just from screen shots

capt

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I just got done watching the videos Gamespot has and judging by those it looks like your average run of the mill 3rd person action game. The graphics look ok but didn't appear to up to Halo standards. Also the lack of Live support really blows. I think I'll rent this one first.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
There has been a lot of hype about this game, maybe too much, and it has been a long time coming, two things that do not always bode well for games on the Xbox (Blinx, anyone?) or anywhere else for that matter. I'm glad it uses Halo's aiming system however, as that has never been rivaled on the Xbox...

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Squad based games are a toughy. I still remember that piece of excrement dubbed X-Squad for the ps2. It took two powerhouse developers in Square and EA to come up with this stinker. No wonder that they don't work together anymore.

Because this is a squad based game, I don't think it will have the instant easily accessible appeal of a halo. A lot of gamers are just not going to be into that style of play. My main concern with these games is AI or lack thereof. Squad based games are notorious for some brutal AI, be it the enemy, or your own squad members. Don't get the AI right, and you might as well be playing a standard single player adventure. What I've read on the AI in BF seems to be positive. You can't really go that wrong if the AI is good. BF might not turn out to be the next blockbuster game along the lines of Halo or Splinter Cell, but I'm sure that it'll find its core group of fans.

I think comparisons to Halo are unfortunate. Halo is a fps and vehicles play a big part in this game. Brute Force is a third person squad based title with no piloting vehicles as far as I know. I'm not sure what kind of storyline if any, Brute Force has. The characters are fairly generic, uh, read boring. I'm not thrilled with any of them. A little more imagination here was a requisite. This current vidgame kick with supermodels who kick butt routine has to go.

I guess that's one of things that appealed to me about Splinter Cell. Sam was an older grizzled veteran with greying hair, instead of your standard buff Ken doll type.

20 missions over 6 worlds with 3 levels of difficulty to open all the unlockables and some co-op and multi-player elements thrown in sounds good to me. Add in some proposed downloadable content and I think this game could have some lasting value.

Dave.A.C

Agent
I'm looking forward to it, actually pre-ordered it today. The graphics from the low-res videos, while not earth shattering, look sharp and quite good. All recent previews say they are the best currently on the box. I also think that the simplified squad aspects will make this a step above your typical shooter.

Heck, if nothing else the CG movies look to be very well done :wink: (I'm saying that with a wink because I'm quite aware that CG movies mean nothing, but I just watched 4 on the big screen today and was impressed)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Just read that review of the preview build, and down towards the bottom it mentions widescreen mode as yes. Brute Force is mine, no questions asked. Widescreen mayhem baby.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think it looks good. Halo comparisons don't mean much to me since I think it's foolish to burden any game with that kind of expectation. And from what I've seen, the preview write-ups have been pretty positive so I'm expecting a good game.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What about XBox Live support?

Seems to me that a Halo'esk game with a good storyline for group play, or Live squad-based games would be outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks