What's new

Anyone looking forward to Tenchu 3? (1 Viewer)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Gamespot just gave it an 8.3, the same score the original Tenchu got. Much higher than expected. Gamespot is probably the toughest on reviews. For comparison - Mario Sunshine, Xenosaga, and Metal Gear Solid scored lower than that on gamespot.

IGN just gave it an 8.5 and said that it's the best Tenchu yet.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Scores so far:

Play Magazine - 9.3
Game Pro - 7.0
IGN - 8.5
Gamespot - 8.3
UK OPM - 8.0
Gamespy - 8.3
EGM - 7.5, 7, 7

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I picked this up today, and if I get the chance to play tonight (I might not) I'll post my initial thoughts. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks, too, since it seems the ratings for this game were a little "bipolar" (for lack of a better word).

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I did get to play through the first mission last night. It reminded me an awful lot of the first game (never played the second). In fact, didn't the first game have a level called "Punish the Evil Merchant", too?

The graphics are great. Everything is very sharp, and you can easily see the layout of the level from the rooftops. I really liked the opening movie - right up there with the best CGI. I like the controls for the most part, but the camera requires constant adjustment, especially around corners and the like. The sound is adequate, but I hate the fact that there's backroung music while you play. The guards must be blind and deaf, because you can easily get stealth kills. Using the grappling hook is as awesome as ever. I can't wait to get further into the game.

I kind of wish they'd have borrowed some elements from Sony's "The Mark of Kri", (like the "stealth kill" system or the view from the bird's POV) but all in all, it is a great game for fans of the series.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
The first mission is a tribute to the first game. Notice how the first boss says "It looks like you chose the wrong party to crash" - thats a line from the first game.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Ninjas. Monkeys. Pie.

The three universal elements that, if added to anything, becomes at the very least 900% cooler.

Tenchu III:Wrath of Heaven doesn't have any monkeys, or pie as far as I can tell, but it makes up for it with enough assassin/demon/mecha ninjas to fill all of Florida.

GOOD: Smooth animation. Incentive bonus moves from stealth kills. Soundtrack that rivals the first. Refined controls. Monks. Ninja Vision Zoom. Hang-Off-Ceiling. Intricate & variable levels. Addictive co-op mode. Concise lighting architecture.

BAD: Facial design looks cartoonish. Direction of cut scenes could be more coherent and lively. Too many small and restrictive areas in most levels.

UGLY: I just flipped onto this guy's shoulders, chopped off his head, landed on the ground, and the pulled off a roundhouse kick into his chest, sending what was left of the carcass flying into a booby trapped pit.

People seem to have little clue what the new installment is like, or what Tenchu is even about, so I am going to make a quick FAQ based on misconceptions I read on many other sites.

Q: What is Tenchu?
A: Ninja Game series that focuses on stealth, bizarre dialogue/characters, and quick executions that don't pull any punches.

Q: Is it in English only?
A: No. The North American version of Tenchu:WoH has both the English and Japanese voice tracks. All the English voices are new and all the Japanese voices are done by the same cast that performed on the last two installments. Tenchu:WoH doesn't come out in Japan until April 24th.

Q: Is Tenchu made by Sony?
A: No. While Tenchu has been a Playstation exclusive series, the development house "Acquire" created the first two titles, and "K2" (made up of ex-Capcom & SNK teams) created the latest installment, while Activision has published all three editions. Sony has had no involvement.

Q: Is the story lame?
A: No, but the dialogue from the last games has been hilarious. Who can forget such classic lines like "I am the man who will cut off your nose....at the neck." or "Burn in hell, you heretic!" and best of all "You mean Genbu the drooling idiot, one of the four idiots of Idiotland!".

Q: The picutre is too dark / the music is too loud.
A: Turn up the brightness level on your TV with the help of the color bar in the options menu (so you can see in the caves), and turn down the music level under the red zone (so you can hear the dialogue).

Q: Why is Rikimaru (the male ninja) so awesome?
A: He is so confident that he won't be seen, that he doesn't even cover up his gray hair, and only wears the rest to conceal himself in the shadows. Plus he is the ultimate silent killer.

Q: Is it like Shinobi?
A: No. The game is not as faced paced as Shinobi. It also is much more realistic in many respects. Here, gore flys, you have access to authentic Ninpo weaponry and there is much less restriction in the level design.

Q: When is Ninja Gaiden coming out?
A: Ninja Gaiden will be released September 2nd for the Xbox. Tenchu is the only major Ninja game I know of until then.

As a major fan of the series, I am beyond relieved to see that it is a solid and worthwhile installment. By all means, check it out.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Almost complete with the Rikimaru missions. This installment really knows how to extend out the gameplay. It has three separate characters to select, all with different variations in the missions. Then every level has three different layouts available once beaten. Each level has at least two major paths you can choose to reach the end.

Most levels can last up to a half hour, since you are taking your time, aiming for stealth kills in order to gain downright insane techniques. At the mid-point of the game, you are given a choice that will change the ending. Then there is the ranking system, throwing out Novice or Grandmaster grades. Not to mention the hidden levels and combat armor upgrades.

I think the Tenchu series has mirrored the Castlevania series so far.

Castlevania / Tenchu - Nothing quite like it on the market, stylish soundtrack and adequate graphics.
Simon's Quest / Tenchu II - Inventive, but too ambitious and too different from the last.
Castlevania III / Tenchu:WoH - Back to what made the first a hit, and adding replayability.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Castlevania / Tenchu - Nothing quite like it on the market, stylish soundtrack and adequate graphics.
Simon's Quest / Tenchu II - Inventive, but too ambitious and too different from the last.
Castlevania III / Tenchu:WoH - Back to what made the first a hit, and adding replayability.
Hopefully that trend continues, since Castlevania SOTN is the best in the series

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Finished both Rikimaru's & Ayame's missions. Happy to say that I decimated Uncle Tenrai both times with the Almighty-Wrath-of-Heaven-I-Just-Impaled-You-Dude-Move. The storyline, if you just play through as a single character and leave it there, is weak. However, while they may not be correctly linked or entirely relevant to each other, the entire storyline with all three characters is solid.

The game is also keeping me on my guard. I might know the layout of a level, but then they make me fight a boss at the beginning, or I have to escape the huge death trap of a level in under twenty minutes or that Koga Oni wasn't around that corner before, I swear!

Special Note To Fans of Cam Clarke: He is apart of the cast. I was confused when I saw him in the credits the first time. How could I miss Leonardo/Liquid Snake/Ryudo, of all people? That is because he plays Tesshu, the new third character that is revealed halfway through Ayame's missions and is playable after beating the game with Riki/Aya. While the rest of the English cast pretty much said, "Forget it. I can't do a Japanese accent", Cam Clarke is all like "I'm doing my off-the-wall Japanese accent, and you are going to like it!” and we do.

Tesshu does not use swords, but instead kills with spikes running out of his hands. You get to see an x-ray vision of spikes in skulls, hands inside rib cages and best of all, the heart clenched and ripped out of the chest. When you realize that you are a professional killer with real motives (getting paid, pride, getting paid) and not some oddball thrown into some meaningless “Kombat” game, it makes it all the sweeter.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Finished with Tesshu's missions and now for the final impressions. I have to agree with a few assessments on this title in that it could have been more. It could have told a deeper story, presented some more light sourcing effects and could have aimed for a less repetitive design.

However, I agree with the more of the positive assessments. The soundtrack is right up there with the first, the gameplay is well defined and sooner or later, at least once, you are going to find yourself sneaking up behind someone at school or work, ready to perform a perfect “stealth kill”, until they turn around and look at you funny.

An upgrade that I think many people miss is that the characters now have very different play styles, not just different moves. Ayame is quick, nimble and pulls off combos with ease. Rikimaru is steadier, has a longer reach and some more power. Tesshu is the slowest, is not made to combo and should be used for single hits. Once you are familiar with the controls and how Rikimaru moves, you must, I repeat, you MUST press L1, Up, R1, Down, L2, Right, R2, Left at the title screen (or wait until you beat the game with all three characters) to unlock the Bonus level.

Yes, you can also play the demo level (Up, Down, Right, Left, X, X, X at the title screen), but the bonus level is a new experience altogether. It is set not only where Rikimaru went to during his "Ninja Sleep" inside the portal, but it is also placed in a modern day corporate headquarters. The mission is to punish the evil pharmaceutical CEO, and in doing so you will face fully armed, heavy weight guards, who cry out about donuts as they bleed to death. The final confrontation is fantastic, very reminiscent of the end bosses in Final Fight and Streets of Rage. A special CGI movie will play on completion, which is about the only time you will see Rikimaru's face during the entire game.

In the end, when it comes down to it, and when you add everything up... This is the best ninja game ever made. Really. While the next Ninja Gaiden should surprise us all, I still have a feeling that only the next installment of the Tenchu series will rival Wrath of Heaven.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
My first Tenchu game - and loving it :D

I didn't understand Stealth kills until I did a few. I couldn't stop staring at the screen when I did a "can Opener" kill. Stealth Killing is just too fun.

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yea..this game is great....classic Tenchu....I actually enjoy this better than Metal Gear Solid 2. It was cool when I went through it the first time but it felt lacking after I beat it and looked back on it(MGS2). Tenchu has great atmosphere, great graphics, and a cool story. I recommend this game to anyone who likes stealth type games. EGM is the only magazine that so called 'dissed' it. But it really can't be dissed because it doesn't tamper with the formula that made the first game so good...it just improves on every aspect.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Am I correct in thinking that the multiplayer options don't work over the internet?

-Dave

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You're correct, Dave.

Straight in at number 1 in the UK all format chart, which is a bit of a suprise!

Users who are viewing this thread