What's new

Anyone listen to Electronic? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Electronic music in the late 60's (when I was just a strapping young lad) was comprised mostly of men who could master a moog synthesizer, which was a fairly new technology then. The first to really popularize it (while adding bizarre sound effects also generated on the machine) were Jean-Jacques Perrey and Gershon Kingsley, who together and apart created a half-dozen albums of catchy originals and covers before fading into obscurity. "Switched On Bach" and subsequent pseudo-classical albums emerged from Walter/Wendy Carlos and were quite the flavor of the week. Dick Hyman (formerly of Enoch Light) enjoyed his fifteen minutes of fame as an "electronic music" artist. As a result of this fleeting Moog popularity, artists such as The Moody Blues, Premiata Forneria Marconi (I kid you not) and Barclay James Harvest employed the instrument on their albums. More recent electronic music is much more technically advanced as computers have flourished and become infinitely more powerful, but there will always be a place in my heart for Perrey-Kingsley's "Barnyard In Orbit."

Ben Cloud

Grip
Some suggested listening:

L.F.O. (the orginal with Mark Bell, not the crappy boy band)
Neil Landstrumm
Mr. Fingers (Larry Heard and Robert Owens)
Larry Heard (solo)
Like A Tim
Phuture
808 State
Frankie Knuckles
Bob Sinclar
Dan Bell
Dave Clarke
Russ Gabriel
Maus & Stolle
Mike Ink (Profan)
Sensorama (ladomat records)
Moody Man
Carl Craig
Jeff Mills
F.U.S.E.
Aly-Us (only Follow Me)
qix (intellinet records)
The Age of Electronicus (with Dick Hyman - not techno but cheezy)
mark ripmeester
jam & spoon (stella)
sweet reinhard (profan)
rhythm is rhythm
jazzcore by dj hyperactive
swayzak
juan atkins (aka infinity skynet, model 500)
aril brikha
alter ego

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Nice stuff Jonny K..

Electonic as a genre is misleading apparently. I think Ken Stuart said it best with his..electronica not electonic line. At least that is what I think this thread was supposed to be about.

I recently got tunnel tranceforce volumes 1-24. Two 75 minute mixes per volume. Pretty decent stuff.

What do you guys think about groups like
Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, and Underworld

I still dig everything Underworld puts out, not just their smash mainstream hits like born slippy,cowgirl,moaner, but everything they have put out. As far as the other two, or other mainstream acts, I have left them behind for greener pastures. Oh yeah.. I can't stand Paul Oakenfold.. I mean, selling your album on an informercial.. WTF??? sorry guy, but Swordfish wasn't that good, and neither is your musik... My .02 of course, no disrespect to others who like it, and definitely not trying to fuel a flame war for those who disagree with my tastes.. just think he isn't worth a damn.

Ben Cloud

Grip
hmm....

for Drum'n Bass I would have to go with

L.T.J Bukem
Peshay
Roni Size
Photek
Dillinja
Goldie (Timeless - Goldie's Best.... Inner City Life... ooh yeah that's the one)
PFM
Grooverider

Or for some bada$$ chicago try

Patrik Pulsinger
Larry Heard (old stuff)

MJ Cole
Roman Flugel (aka eightmileshigh, aka alter ego, aka sensorama)
Kenny Larkin (for some nice Detroit style techno)
Blue Six (nice and sultry)
Miguel Migs
Basic Channel
Richie Hawtin (decks effects 909)
any old acid/chicago house (stuff on Trax records Djax Up-Beats and X-Beats)
old R&S records
Inner City (Big Fun - das da one)
Marcques Wyatt
Shaun Escoffery
Kaskade
Tony Humphries
Kevin Yost
Miss Kitten (w/ The Hacker & w/Golden Boy, solo also - electroclash style)
Carl Finlow
Sluts Strings & 909

...thats all for now

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
i'm a big fan of chill out electriconic/ instrumental stuff. The master is Brian Eno and I'm also partial to Royksopp, DJ Shadow, Jan Hammer, Orbital, Morcheeba, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, 808 State etc. Its all good. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks