What's new

Anyone know where to get good optical and component cables cheap? (1 Viewer)

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for good quality optical and component cables for little $. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Ken H

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Vince,
How about you follow the rules and stop plugging your cable business on this forum??

Ken,
If you want affordable try the usual suspects: Avcable,Heartland,Rhinocables and Bluejeans. If they are still too pricey try searching E-bay for new or used cables.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a real difference in a $3 toslink cable and a $20 cable? Just curious what to look for. I bought a $10 toslink cab;e from Target a couple of years ago which works fine but I'm wondering if I would get better performance from more expensive cables?

Ken H

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I was a moderator on this forum for 2 years, and have never seen anyone get into any trouble for suggesting a service when the poster ASKS FOR IT. I could see a problem if I just went around posting ads, but if someone is specifically looking for a service I provide- it is not different than you suggesting Bettercables or Bluejeans.

Feel free to report my post if you have a problem, let the moderators do their job-- I assure you they don't need you to do it for them.

-Vince

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Ken, i'm sure they'll all work fine for you. In that price range, most will argue no difference. My advice would be to buy the toslink with the best looking plugs, ones that won't be loose, and look like they'll snap in like they aren't going anywhere.

If it was my 20 bucks, I'd hop down to circuit city and get Monster's (**gasp!!** - "he said monster") low end THX (**what?** "THX in the same sentence, is he crazy?") optical cable and be done with it. It's what I did.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Moderator Note: Vince sometimes helps fellow members out with cables, and system help because it's his hobby and he is a nice guy. (If you ever used our Primer/FAQ you have seen another of his projects.) Offering to help others is not violating our rules.

Thank you for trying to protect our fourm from commercial posters, but Maskeeper -- he is one of the good guys.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well hopefully you'll get a bit more robust connector (even robust toslink connectors aren't all that great however for most of us that don't go around disconnecting reconnecting, it's a moot point), slightly thicker jackets, etc. If your lengths are nominal...a few meters, then plastic fiber toslink works just fine and no, you won't hear a difference. Either the bits get picked up or they don't.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I bought my optical/toslink cable from bettercables.com and the rest of my cables came from Blue Jeans Cables

You will most likely find BJC to be the best value and faster shipper of the DIY cable makers. Kurt is also responsive to emails. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks