What's new

Anyone here tried the Denon 1920 yet? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I recently picked up a Sony 30 HS420 TV. I am still playing around with it and setting it up, but so far it seems great. I really need a new DVD player because I am still using a 3 year old Sony that is not even progressive scan. I would like something with an HDMI output, since my TV has the input for it. I just noticed this player is out and it seems perfect, HDMI output, SACD/DVD Audio playback, BB audio DACs, Faroudja interlacer, bass management, MP3 playback and some other nice features. It seems like the perfect play for under $400, and I think it would be a great player to use until Blue-ray becomes mainstream and it won’t break the bank, I would love the 2910, but I just cannot afford to drop that much on a DVD player. Since the 1910 was pretty much a miss, I am pretty sure Denon learned from their mistakes and this is the result. I know the player came out recently but does anyone have any experiences with it? There is a thread over on the AVS forums about it http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=1920 so far everyone who has tried it has pretty positive comments about it. They say the audio is impressive and the picture quality is also excellent with minimal macroblocking. I am pretty sure I will be ordering this player from Cruchfield this week, but I wanted to see if anyone here had anything to say about it. If I am not happy Cruchfield has an excellent return policy, so I am really not worried, but I have a feeling this is going to be the under $400 up-converting player that rules all.

CraigVH

Auditioning
I just bought this player last weekend and really like it so far. That being said, I have no HDMI on my receiver or TV so my experience is limited to component video/analog audio. With my setup I have observed no macroblocking and the PQ is outstanding. Navigation speed and layer changes are not seamless but not annoying either - faster than anticipated for the 2mb buffer (and much faster than my old Samsung P721).

The remote is quite responsive - point it just about anywhere and it works. One minor annoyance for HDMI users will be that the remote doesn't let you cycle through the scaling options (720p/1080i etc.) - that must be done on the front panel of the unit.

For audio setup you are limited to 80Hz crossover and speaker distances give you a minimum increment of 1 ft (as opposed to the .1 ft that the Denon 3805 AVR gives me). I havent tried any multichannel yet so I'm not sure if thats going to be a problem in my room.

I think its a great "holdover" until HD DVD arrives...

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Thanks for your input Craig, this DVD player is really starting to sound like a winner. May I ask what display you are using?

CraigVH

Auditioning
It's a Hitachi 51SWX20B RPTV (HD). It has only component and DVI inputs, which is why I haven't tried HDMI. I'm playing with the idea of gatting a HDMI-DVI converter but since my set has an internal scaler that already upscales the component inputs to 1080i, I'm not sure what the HDMI output is going to do for me. Some have suggested that the 1920's scaler is superior to that of the Hitachi's, so it may be worth the experiment. I'm not ready to drop the $50 on the converter cable just yet but I'm sure my need to tweak will win out soon enough :b

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
You don't need a $50 converter cable, a simple cable with HDMI connection on one end and DVI connection on the other end should work fine. I have two of these cables that came with components and although they are inexpensive, they work fine. You can find then on eBay or other online sites and the price should be closer to $15.

Chris

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
CraigVH,

I'm in the same boat. I have the same TV you do along with the Denon 2910 and have been wanting to do this for some time (switch to a DVI-HDMI) cable, but just haven't. I think I need to to satisfy my need to tweak as well!

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
Bought the player and surprisingly the image from my older 910 is still better.
Really surprised me.
How

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks