What's new

Anyone here pick up 'Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas'? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Is it OOP? It came out in the fall of 2001.

I was 7 when this first came out on HBO, so it was always a fav. of mine. Me and my friends ALWYAS quoted it. I would assume it still holds up today as a great muppet holiday flick.

Definitely worth a blind buy (if it's available).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think that it has been reissued, we have a weekly 'things to see and do' magazine in my area called 'Spark' and in their new to dvd this week column they had it listed along with the jacket picture, this was last week.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I see now on Amazon that the reissue was Oct 4, 2005.

Yes, definitely get this. It isn't hysterical, but it's definitely a "feel good" Christmas film. Very sweet!

Now that I look, it seems like this is a Special Edition?? According to some reviews, there are 2 versions out there. I don't think anyone has any real answers, but this review seems to have some merrit:This review was posted on the 2001 released DVD. It sounds confusing, but I'm sure both versions are great.

I do remember a line (when I was a kid) that seemed to be cut out of the DVD, so I guess the 2001 DVD release was the 1980 version. It also has Kermit the Frog intros in it, which I never remembered when I was a kid.

Someone said this new DVD release doesn't have the Kermitt intro's because Disney wouldn't/couldn't release it that way????

Ugh, what a confusing mess. But, again, either way, it's still a great story no matter what version is on there.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for looking into it, Mark. :emoji_thumbsup:

And yes, i'm VERY familiar with this special, it was a huge part of my childhood, and I watched it on television about 3 or 4 years ago after not laying eyes on it in over 20 years and I almost cried because all of my childhood thought's and feeling's all came rushing back to me like a tidal wave.

I'll get this no matter what version it is, some things are just too special to the heart to say no to.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh, what a fabulous show this is. I wish it was twice as long. I never want it to end. And the DVD version is "censored" if you can believe that. Emmet's mother's line about telling another character to "fall off the dock" is gone. It's a bit insane to censor a family show.

But I think the DVD version that I have does include the
"Ain't No Hole In The Washtub" & "When The River Meets The Sea" reprise songs. The very idea that someone would cut any songs from this show for any reason ? BLASPHEMY ! I hope they fall off the dock.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, this was one of the best. I will definitely have to pick up this one.

Not to get too sappy, but I have always thought this one had one of the best Christmas messages, second only to Charlie Brown.

Oh, and I'll always remember Wendall the porcupine. "Gonna love the mash potatoes" and "Peachy keen!" are quotes still used in my family to this day.

Chuck the bear will always be the epitome of cool, as far as I'm concerned.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
According to another review, someone said that Emmet's mother's line was cut when the show aired on ABC. Since it was originally aired on HBO, I guess they assumed "fall off the dock" was ok for HBO but needed to be censored for network tv......well, it was 1980...different times...different times! ;)

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the line was cut for time? Adding the Kermit intro's for network tv, must have had to mean the chop-shop for the rest of the film.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info! I was afraid when I heard of the new version cutting out the Kermit intros. Thanks for the full story. I had this on my must buy list for years, but never got around to it. Will have to get it now.

And are the years in that story accurate? It aired on HBO in 1977? I remember seeing it many times in the 80's, but didn't have cable until 1980 or so. I guess I have never seen this version.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, the differences (with the exception of the Kermit scenes) aren't that major. I'll have to check my old DVD because I do seem to recall being upset about the "fall off the dock" line not being on the DVD. I assumed I was remembering something else, but when I was a kid, I loved that line, so I may have to pick up the new DVD if that line was put back in.

I'll post a confirmation and hopefully someone can confirm if the line was put back into this new release.

EDIT: From what people are saying, this is supposed to be a special edition? Deleted Scenes, a hour long Documentary and photo galleries? If true, that's awesome!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
We just got in in at Target, and while there is not street date attached to it, I believe it goes on sale sometime next week. The set date has a 2-28 release date attached to it.:D

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
Weird thing happened...

I saw this was available.
I was on bestbuy.com and checked about and it and checked pick up in store, and it was available but I did not place my order. I usually wait til I get to the store because sometimes the price is better in store.

So I go to the store and they have none out. I ask about it and clerk says yes we have stock but for some reaseon are computer says we can not sell it until Oct 30. He goes and asks a supervisor about it and the supervisor does not chnage the computer. And they won't sell me the DVD right then.

The clerk sees it on bestbuy.com and suggests that I order it from them and see if they will let me pick it in the store. I go home and order it for pick up and it allows me and now on my way past the store tomorrow I will stop and pick my copy up.

Just thought this was funny.

After all this and $3 best buy bucks from McDonalds it cost me $7.99

Sean*O

Second Unit
That's a good workaround Steve. If you can find the time, please drop by and post if the previously cut dialog and songs were replaced in this version. That Muppet Central review did not get that specific for some reason.

I remember seeing this show on HBO as a boy ~1980, and I vaguely remember Kermit giving an intro.. But I also recall the "fall off the dock" line as if I just heard it yesterday.

Too bad about the Kermit excision, but I would be more upset by dialog and music cuts from the actual feature.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The price is usually lower in store than on theirt site, at least 90% of the time. I can't count the number of times I checked out prices on the Best Buy.com website and walked into their store and found it for $10 cheaper than their website prices which is why I hate ordering online.

Target.com and Circuit City.com are the same way which is why I support the old brick and mortar stores before I support the website stores.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Funny how Disney is supposed to be a family entertainment company. But they would not allow a family classic to be released in it's entirety even though they could have.

Walt Disney must be spinning in his hyperbaric chamber.

Christi P

Agent
Are the scenes where Kermit encounters the Riverbottom Nightmare Band and the fish spits on him included?

Were they included on the earlier out-of-print DVD?

Christi

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I purchased this when it was first released. I recall having to purchase it online. I never did see it at any B & M stores in our area. I have always been fond of this movie. This was a popular TV show when my grown daughters were young. We never missed seeing this when it was shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks