What's new

Anyone here into wristwatches? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd try to resurrect this thread.
I've sort of had a long time goal of eventually getting a Rolex Submariner. Waiting for the right time and all that and deciding if vintage or modern is the way to go. Anyone here collectors or can recommd some good watch forums? I see a place called Timezone and a site called Rolex Forums. They seem like reasonable sites. Thanks!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't wear a watch any more, but when my parents' house was robbed, my college wristwatch was one of only three items the police recovered.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
Since I am an ultramarathoner, I prefer Casio watches for the many useful (and durable) features they include. I own a G-Shock (G-Lide) which I like very much. My next watch, which I will probably be purchasing within a couple of months, will be a Protrek (PRW-2500). (The Protrek is also a Casio, but it is not a G-Shock.) The G-Lide is neat because it has two stopwatches, but the Protrek has everything else. It's an ABC (altimeter / barometer / compass) watch and also has a thermometer (C or F), atomic timing, is solar-powered, has tide graph data and moon-age display, and a ton of other stuff. But it's a bit pricey for those who just need or want a watch to keep time.
http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/PRO_TREK/PRW2500-1/
The price in the above link is a bit high. I can get it for about $80.00 less than what is listed there.
Here is the Casio link for the same watch. I prefer the resin to the titanium. The last time I checked, the T could only be purchased in Japan, but that may have changed by now.
http://www.casio.co.uk/products/timepieces/pro-trek/Product/PRW-2500-1ER/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott, surprised to see you here!
Those Casios sound great. I know a friend who would love the Protrek. He's into having a watch that has the barometer, compass, all the toys! I don't run, but I'm a cyclist. Might come in handy for that!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Hey Scott, surprised to see you here!
Those Casios sound great. I know a friend who would love the Protrek. He's into having a watch that has the barometer, compass, all the toys! I don't run, but I'm a cyclist. Might come in handy for that!
Nelson,
Yeah, I like sports watches. I've used Casio watches for years. I think your friend would appreciate this watch. I need a compass (since I often run for hours on trails that I have never seen before), and a thermometer would come in handy during those really hot or really cold days when I am running. The tide graph data and moon-age display are great for water enthusiasts, but I like them for those times when I'm either running on the moon or under water. ;)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Just saw this thread. I actually collect them. I get one from every country I visit. Not the expensive ones but mostly those that are not common place here in the US. Presently have 11 of them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven't worn a watch in over 25 years since my early 20's. No need to know the time since I can seeit everywhere I look including my iPhone and no
Need for the looks since fashion isn't part of my wardrobe.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not "into" watches, but I bought a new Skagen this year. I needed something for work, that could fit under cuffed shirts. I enjoy my chunky Fossil watch on the weekends. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks