What's new

Anyone heard of Jamo speakers and what did you think (1 Viewer)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Went audition at a local store(JBL), but they had no JBL, all they had was Jamo-anyone know anything about them

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I think Jamo is a Danish company. They seem to be sold in and around New York. Kind of an off brand. Resale value would probably be a big problem if you ever went to sell them. I have not heard anything special about them to justify going with such an off brand. My guess is they have an enormous profit margin. Go with a major brand. There haven't been any real breakthroughs in speaker design for a long time. Find a series from a major company like JBL, Polk, Infinity, etc. that is being discontinued and get them.
Remember. Speakers will always sound brighter in your home than in a showroom.

Artie

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Jamo are one of the largest speaker manufacturers in the WORLD. Very well known in Europe, they sell speakers at different price points, from reasonably inexpensive to high end. They use some of the finest drivers (Denmark makes some of the best)and they tend to be cost competitive here in the states. Far from being an off brand, they are quite an on brand. Buy them with confidence, if they float your boat.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Tony

Jamo is popular in Europe not in the US. Fiats are very popular in Europe too. So are Renaults. Then there are British cars. There is a reason some brands are popular in Europe and not in the US. Cars = reliability. Speakers = why bother. Raw drivers are another story entirely and are not relevant to buying Jamo. Besides which, no body is buying raw Jamo drivers.

Artie

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
What Tony Said.

I've heard nothing but good things about Jamo's. If you like them, get them. Beats having the same thing your neighbor has.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
"Went to aution JBl..all they had was Jamo." All they had was Jamo... that is pretty Lamo.

Yeah, get them just to be different.

Please, do yourself a favor, get something mainstream. If Jamo had anything special to offer, lots of people would have them.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
LOL... If I didn't know any differently Arthur, I'd think you were a mainstream Speaker dealer.

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
Joey-I've heard Jamo and they sound pretty good. Our local dealer isn't going to carry them any longer and has some exceptional prices. I don't know what shipping would run, but they are basically getting rid of them at or below cost. PM me if you're interested and I'll provide you with their telephone number and a contact.

David

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Jamo is hardly an " off brand "

They make a quality product. I happen to own five of their book shelf speakers. Speakers are very subjective. Listen to what your ears tell you. Check out Jamo's web site you will find they are not an " off Brand "

I am still trying to figure out the "off brand " comment.
I guess my old Snell speakers were "off brand"
I mean I have not seen them grace the pages of Crutchfield or been in Best Buy or CC with the other "major" brands.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Dave I didnt find anything real special about them, if I can come up with some cash before BB sales out of them Im going to pick up the JBL E30 for 150 a pair deal.

Thanks for the offer though Dave I really appreciate it

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Yeah, there's a POS brand called Vandersteen, been in business 27 years but no dealers within 100 miles of where I live: another off-brand. Arthur: you need to get out a little more.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur

Would you suggest BOSE as mainstream, made in the US and sold at KMart:D

JAMO is a very good manufacturer and probably a cut above JBL

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
aahha Arthur is getting owned here. :)

i'm actually looking to buy a HT setup -- i'm gonna get a 42" panansonic and some jamo speakers. :)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I just don't understand people who are not knowledgable about a brand, making pronouncements about it. Hey, if I am unfamiliar with them and don't know anything about them (obvious from his post) then they must be an off-brand to be avoided. Whatever.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I've never heard any Jamos before, but when I first saw Onix Rockets I immediately thought of Jamo since they were the first company that I saw that had convex sides to their cabinets.

I remember Stereo Review and S&V reviewing Jamo systems.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
We have a little, cute Jamo subwoofer we bought in Tasmania. Does its job. Nice build quality and this little entry-level sub is MADE IN DENMARK!!!

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
"POS Vandersteen"
That was a good one!!! :D

Other POS off brands

1. Magnepan
2. Snell
3. Tanoy
4. KEF

:D :D

Lane Michaels

Auditioning
I wouldnt call Jamo "off brand" any more than Klipsch or Kef. If you consider those off brand then ya I guess they are. Since when did "mainstream" mean better?

My surrounds are Jamo and I absolutely love them. Ive probably had them close to 9 or 10 years now and they have performed flawlessly. My father in laws entire system is comprised of Jamo speakers and its a wonderfull system. I dont recall all the model numbers but again its several years old. He has this dual 6.5" center channel that is probably the finest I have ever heard. And no I havnt heard them all but this one is pretty damn good. If you like the way they sound, buy em. Very nice quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks