1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone heard JM Labs speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Well-Known Member

How do they compare to like a VRM series boston acoustic? I am proably more curious about the cobalt or chorus line. Are they really pretty incredible? I am not looking at buying just curious. There is a place in town that has them I may go take a listen one day.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Go listen. I don't like them but that's just me.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

hmm, that came off abruptly [​IMG]

I haven't really spent time with BA, so can't compare, but you should always take the opportunity to listen to speakers. I personally didn't like the JM labs, they were just "odd" I guess you could say. Detailed, nice, but just... i dunno, bleh? Everyone has different tastes though.

[​IMG]

4. Paul_J_D

Paul_J_D Member

I listened to the JM Labs Electra bookshelves a couple of months ago when I was looking for some new speakers for my two channel setup. The amp used was a Rogue 88 tube amplifier and a Cal Audio 15 cd player. The JM Labs were detailed galore and had a huge soundstage and impressive bass for a bookshelf speaker. The detail wasn't bright sounding to me just seemed to be too exagerated for my taste. A good speaker though and you should audition them if you can.

I decided to buy a pair of Spendor S8s instead as I listened to them right after the JM Labs demo in the same store on the same equipment. More neutral sounding overall and sweet liquid midrange that I preferred.

Haven't listened to any Boston Acoustics lately.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Well-Known Member

Well cool I will have to go take a listen. Because they are the same company as Focal and I love Focal speakers.

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Well-Known Member

I think they are very detailed and transparent without being bright and the mids are very very good. Micro Utopia's were on my short list before I bought my Tetra Space's. I do think they sound a little dry with solid state amps though and sound best with tubes.

7. Kiet

Kiet Well-Known Member

I owned a pair of JMLab Cobalt 816S. Using a tube amp to drive it. I find that the sound is very detailed, transparent, great imaging, wide soundstage and very lively. The sound is little bit on the bright side. But when you pair it up with tubes gear or warm solid state amp. The sound is wonderful for its price.
    However, I have recently purchased a pair of Spendor SP2/3, and I find it very different to JMLab sound. More warm and smoother vocal.
    They both have different advantages and disadvantages. Depending on taste. Hope that help :b

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Well-Known Member

I once heard the JM Lab Grand Utopias. Very nice [​IMG]

9. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Well-Known Member

I have heard the entire Electra line and utopia line. I like them very much. I have the cc-901, 927Be, and SW900 as my system. They just sound so good to me. Check out my reviews. Do s a search on the 927Be and SW900 and you will see them. They are under the user name MikeDuke. I have also heard a Cobalt set up. It was very nice indeed.
    Mike D

10. Erik_C

Erik_C Well-Known Member

I have JM Lab Micro Utopias (paired with an 18" Velodyne servo sub). The Utopias are incredible: detail, soundstage, transparency galore. Perfection.
    -Erik

11. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Well-Known Member

yea!

let's hear it for old threads!

[​IMG]

12. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Well-Known Member

I have Focal Utopia's in my Truck, 6.5" component speakers and they sound Killer[​IMG]