What's new

Anyone hear of these stereo amplifiers? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for some good stereo integrate receiver at around $500.00 an no more then $1000.00 Some one recommended these to my but I never heard of them.
Anyone hear of these stereo amplifiers?
Comments, please.

1. hyperion (Studio Accoustics www.hyperionsound.com base in walnut)
2. Electrocompaniet
3. Musical Fidelity
4. Jeff Rowland
5. PRIME

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Electrocompaniet is good stuff as well. Very unique sounding though, you need to hear it before you buy- and if you buy new you are way over 1k. I had the smaller integrated that did about 80 wpc. Nice but very different.

I dont think you can get into anything Rowland for 1k or under.

I would also add Sophia Electric. The "Baby" and the El34 can be had well within your limits. If you want to stay away from tubes, try Classe.

good luck

-rob

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
NAD, Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity and Roksan all make integrated amps in your price range or very close to it. The Arcam is particularly nice.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Of your list Electrocompaniet is the only brand that I have much experience with. I think it has a warm and almost tube-like sound which for me is a plus since I prefer tubes to solid state. I would add Arcam, Creek, Unison Unico, Naim, Sim Audio and Cairn to your list. You should be able to find a very nice used integrated in your price range on audiogon or ebay. Good luck with whatever you choose!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Rowland is well known for its ultra high priced equipment. I have not kept up with their offerings, but it would seem unlikely that they had anything priced anywhere near $1,000 - heck, they might not have much priced anywhere near $10,000!

Never heard of Prime.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I've heard of Prime but don't know much more than that. If you consider a stereo receiver check out the Denon Dra-685, and Rotel also has a new stereo receiver. Both have excellent power supplies that will drive any speaker you throw at them. You might save a buck or two going this route.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
The Musical Fidelity A3 is awesome for around $600-$700 used. I've got one for sale now.
NAD C352, C370 or C372 are good ones. How much power do you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks