What's new

Anyone have the concert DVD “Lightning in a Bottle”? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
It's a blues concert by various artists and I’m considering buying a copy. How’s the sound on this recording? Is it DD2.0 only?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I have the DVD. It's 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, and the language, according to the rear cover, is "English 5.1 (Dobly Digital)." :D

Also on the rear cover is the Dolby logo with the correctly spelled Dolby Digital.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Good info Joe, but how's it sound? I've read at Amazon that the video transfer is very good. Also the musical performances are mostly great, with a few exceptions. But there are no comments on the sound quality.

I really enjoyed this concert and was very impressed with the sound quality, picture and content. The second time I watched it, my wifes brother was visiting from Ottawa. He is a blues singer himself and has met a lot of the performers over the years. This added to the enjoyment.

I am very please with the sound and the entire package. It would be nice to see more of this quality production on the market. My HT is a fantastic venue for this concert so kudos to Dennis Erskine.

Regards
Emmett

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for! Once again HTF comes through!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I recommend it FWIW. Antoine Fuqua directed; some terrific performances. Solomon Burke jams.

I can't intelligently comment on s.q. as I'm unfortunately listening in 2-channel stereo only. Since even Sony has abandoned their former practice of always including a Dolby Surround 2.0 track, that leaves 2-channel wankers like me listening to a downmix of the 5.1.

-p

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the comments. I have this one on my "list" from seeing some other positive comments about it. Have to move it into my next purchase batch. :)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Kevin: I found a "near mint" used copy on eBay for $13 shipped, so keep huntin'. JP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks