What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
FYI...
For those thinking of getting the Dyson...you may want to save some money and get the newest Hoover Fusion cyclonic vacuum.
We got ours last week ($128 Wal Mart only exclusive) and it sucks up a TON of junk.
If you wanna save money, this is the way to go!
0071988115677_500X500.jpg

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
This weekend I bought a Bissell vacuum for about $60 and it picked up so much dust and dog hair. I was appalled at how much there was in our carpets.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Alf, I can't support Hoover after their President admitted that had he known Dyson would become as popular as they did, they would have bought the technology and patents and put it on the shelf, never to see the light of day.
FYI - they were approached by Dyson but didn't want to buy it because they made a ton of money on replacement bags. In fact Dyson I believe went to most major vacuum manufacturers and none wanted his technology, so he started making them himself.
[EDIT] - it was Hoover's VP, not P. Here's the factoid:
No place for new technology
James Dyson offered his invention to major manufacturers. One by one they turned him down, apparently not interested in new technology. They seemed determined to continue selling bags, worth $500 million every year. Later, Hoover's Vice President for Europe, Mike Rutter, said on UK national TV: "I do regret that Hoover as a company did not take the product technology off Dyson; it would have lain on the shelf and not been used".

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Very timely as Consumer Reports has just come out with their annual vacuum ratings and the Dysons ranked #8 for the DC15 and--Gulp!--#16 and #17 for the DC07 and DC14 respectively. The latter two models were ranked merely "average" for their carpet cleaning ability. The top performer--the Hoover WindTunnel Self Propelled Ultra with a list price of $250.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
joseph, how did the tiny sponges do with cleaning your carpet?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Alf S:
I'm intrigued by that W-M/Hoover vac. You probably don't have any first-hand experience with the Dysons...but can you elaborate on the performance of the W-M vac? Did you do a side-by-side with your current vac? I see it's claims to "never lose suction" has a caveat:
Disclaimer: Suction stays constant for up to 10 ounces of dirt, as tested by an independent laboratory by using ASTM F558 test method and a dirt composition comprised of 70% mineral dust, 20% cellulose dust and 10% fibrous material.
10 ounces doesn't seem like a lot. It seems like you would have to be emptying the canister fairly regularly in order to maintain good suction. Although maybe I'm overestimating the poundage of dust and dog hair! :D
The Dysons are too rich for me. If that new W-M/Hoover vac was performing well, I might just pull the trigger after I checked it out.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My parents have a Dyson (which I've used numerous times)...I plan to borrow soon to compare.

The Hoover Fusion did pick up a ton of cat hair from a floor I vacuumed 2 days earlier with a Windtunnel.

For $128, it's been a worthwhile investment for us...even if Dydon picks up an ounce or two more junk, it's not worth the extra $$$$ they want.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...talk about your impulse purchases! :D
I got home from work today...told my wife the guys on the HTF revived the Dyson vacuums thread with news of an exclusive Hoover vac at W-M. We checked out the Fusion at W-M.com and hoover.com. Then promptly went to our nearest W-M, checked out all the Vacs on hand...including the Dyson DC-7 ($399)...and purchased a Fusion ($128.88).
Got it home, had it built in 5-minutes-tops, and started vacuuming like fools. Could not believe what was being deposited in the canister!
As we headed to the checkout a woman stopped us and said, "oh, look...a Fusion!" I asked how she knew about them and she said she had just purchased a new Dyson but had a very hard time picking between the two of them. She admitted the Dyson was complicated to operate...but vacuumed like a champ. That just further fortified our decision which was pretty much determined by price. Plus, we figured if we were dissatisfied, there is no easier place to return a product than Wal-Mart. Also amazing was that two other people...including the checkout clerk commented on the "Fusion"...like we were making this amazing purchase! It was pretty weird.
But, honestly, the amount of dust and dog hair that the Fusion pulled out of just our downstairs carpets (two-canisters-full!) was enough to make us think we had made a good decision. My wife and I were married 23 years ago and were given a Hoover vac as a gift. It lasted 20 years! Of course, vacuums were made of much sturdier materials back then...much more metal, cloth, and rubber than plastic. But, the vacuum technology sure seems to have improved! Anyway, we had tried a couple of different vacuums since the ol' Hoover died (mostly Dirt Devils) and found them sorely lacking.
Thanks, Alf for posting about the Fusion! :emoji_thumbsup:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Oh yeah, need to be a real nuclear scientist to figure out where that on/off button is... My biggest complaint about the Dyson is no retractable cord. Other than that it works flawless and has never lost suction.

Glad your happy Mike. We went through 2 Hoovers (not Fusions)in 4 yrs, so make sure you keep that reciept handy just in case.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We went through 2 Hoovers (not Fusions)in 4 yrs, so make sure you keep that reciept handy just in case.
And THAT, exactly, is the plan. Receipt is well-marked and in the right place so we know where it is when we need it. Then, if it breaks down, we've got our down-payment on a Dyson. By then, hopefully, it'll seem like "found money" and we'll be able to get a Dyson for "half-price." :D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
definitely long enough, but having to trail the thing around is my only complaint. It should auto-rewind for the $$$ we paid. Hey - I've got to complain about something ;)
Interesting comment about the attachments. While the hose configuration is unorthodox, it's a pretty cool design. Once you know how to work it, it's a breeze (assuming normal IQ). I like the utility and design of the attachments, especially for stairs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so, this fusion is only at walmart?

or is it for sale elsewere too?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks