What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Just curious guys, since most homes today have some til of some sort how well does it pick up on the tile? My hoover fold down handle model throws the dirt it picks up out thru the front some times, swifter works better in fact. So give me some Dyson/tile feedback.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I think it works adquately on tile. The decent suction means it sucks up loose particles that are close by, without having to pass over them. It doesn't replace a good wet mop, but what the hey...

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
I run my yellow dyson over tile and cherry hardwood to pick up dog hair, does fine.. As stated above, it doesn't replace the need for a wet mop to clean up the mud she tracks into the house...

I was worried that these were the Bose of vacuum cleaners, but it really is a great performing piece of equipment.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Why? WHY did you people have to tempt me with this thread? I'm such a sucker for cool toys, even vacuum cleaners. After stumbling across this thread, I picked up this puppy at Best Buy today:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0&type=product
I have to admit, I'm quite impressed with it. I vacuumed three rooms and just about filled up the cannister with cat fur and dust. I'm surprised it's as quiet as it is. For some reason, I expected it to sound like a jet taking off.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my wife wants one pretty bad, so i suspect (after we get our taxes) that one will be coming our way.
couple of questions.
attachments - someone said they're basically the same basic model, just with different attachments? if so, let's say i get the lesser model. if i buy the attachments separately, does it equal buying the more expensive model? in other words, is one more cost-effective then the other?
animal - which model animal do you all have. it appears there's a newer one called the dc14? besides the design and some attachments, it appears to have the same features as the dc07.
dust control - it has been mentioned that there's not much dust kicking up when emptying the thing. that's huge to me, so i just want to confirm that. also, when actually vacuuming, do you get any "sense" of dust flying around? that's a problem with my current model...which drives me crazy.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I have the Animal DC07 model. I haven't had any problems with dust when emptying, and I don't follow their instructions for emptying for people with allergies. They actually include a page in the manual about people with allergies and how they should dampen the canister just before emptying. After dampening the canister, you pull a trash bag up around the canister and the trash bag will cling to the canister due to the dampness. This will prevent the dust from kicking back up. It may sound like an annoyance, but it's no worse than changing and buying vacuum bags.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I have the new DC14 Animal. I compared it to the old DC07 model Animal on the Dyson.com website and it appears there is very little difference between the two. The DC14 is about $50 more expensive, a pound lighter, has an "ergonomic" carrying handle (which is nice), and a "large debris pickup channel" underneath. Other than that, the features are similar.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's just up to the person buying it. Do you know how many people are out there that would probably die from a heart attack thinking of the money people on this forum spend on speakers and other equipment?

Also, my parents have had several vacuums that cost "normal" vacuum prices ($75-$200) and I think the "best" one lasted about 3-4 years. I've had similar experiences. I realize that many people get more out of them than this, but it just hasn't worked for us. I like my Dyson . . . although I've only had it for about 3 months now, so maybe it won't last more than 3-4 years either, but we'll have to see. Also, do you know anyone who owns a Rainbow vacuum cleaner? If so, ask them how much it cost. It's hard for me to believe how much people paid for those things, especially if you account for inflation from the time those were on the market until now. It makes the Dyson look pretty cheap.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Keep an eye out on the Deal section of the forum. We got our Animal from Bed n' Linens w/20% off and free shipping. Would buy it again in a heartbeat, though I'd probably go with the regular model since we don't use the attachments much.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
is it really Worth $500,really??
That might seem like a lot of money compared to other uprights, but it's cheap compared to many cannister vacs, which often cost well over $1000. I don't know how the Dyson compares to cannister vacs performance-wise, but it's certainly far better than any other upright I've used - by far.

Mike JL

Grip
We just picked up a DC14 Complete model at Sears last weekend. No interest until March, 2006. Return privileges if not 100% satisfied.

I was completely impressed by how much dirt and animal hair the Dyson was able to pull out of our carpet after we vacuumed with a Kirby sweeper. I always thought the Kirby was among the best, but I am now a Dyson believer.

Whether it's worth $500 or not is an individual decision. That's pretty reasonable compared to "top of the line" brands like Kirby, Filter Queen, etc. But it's pretty expensive compared to Hoover, Dirt Devil and similar brands.

If your main criterion is performance, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

BTW - The DC14 has a slightly different design than the DC07 for increased suction.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Had to chime in here about the Dyson...

We have a dog that sheds quite a bit...great results with the Animal DC07.

The Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off coupons never expire (despite the dates on them). We used that in the store and picked it up...

Did the same thing as many folks here...ran our old vac and then the Dyson...pretty scary how much stuff the Dyson picked up...

As for floors, we'll use it to pick-up on the hardwood and lmainate, but again, to clean up stains, etc, need to wet mop. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Find the accessories easy to use. The hose is long enough to leave the vac at the bottom of the stairs...

No problem with emptying the canister as well...very good...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, the BBB 20% coupons always litter my apt. complex, might have to pick one up to use for this. And the Sears thing might also be an option since i haven't used my Sears card in like 6 years...

Mike DBS

Grip
Real Name
Mike
However, in light of the glowing reviews here, I may have to reconsider Dyson products. I have never been sufficiently impressed by the newer consumer models to warrant replacing my 10-year-old vacuum. I would actually prefer a basic industrial-grade model, like something that might be used in a hotel. Since I have never seen any of those for sale, I guess I might have to give Dyson another look.
They make a model for the UK commercial market, dunno if it will become available for the US though
Its called the constantmax & its indentical in design to dysons older model (DC04)
Dyson has dominated the UK vacuum cleaner market for over 10 years (60% market share IIRC) & in a recent article in the Times Dyson is beginning to get that kind of market share in the US as well.
$500 is about right, the UK model DC07 sells for that kind of money in UKP
I sold Dysons for over 5 years & received few if no complaints about them at all (mostly down to customer abuse)
If you get one, put a new bag on your old cleaner & use it, then use the Dyson. Some people just can't believe what the old cleaner hasn't picked up....:)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
FYI-Best Buy seems to be having a sale on these and I got a 20% off coupon for BBB Saturday, now to find the one I want which is the one with the extra warranty (DC14-full gear), does'nt look like all vendors carry this one...? :angry:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
welp, just picked up the dc14 animal yesterday.

took about 10 minutes to put it together, very well packaged. even the box itself is well thought out...you can put it back together with these nice little tabs -- nice touch.

fit and finish are first rate, no complaints there. quality and performance appear on par. we just vacuumed earlier in the day using our old cleaner, then ran over it again with the dyson later. there was quite a bit of additional gunk - the cannister filled up about 1/4 of the way. so, i was *clearly* missing some gunk that the other vacuum was leaving behind.

there was absolutely no sense of dust being kicked up...the air didn't smell funky afterwards, etc. i also like the way the cannister empties - you literally don't even have to touch the gunk.

all in all, i'm impressed. recommended.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ted:

Just curious. Do you have pets? If so, any testimony as to how the vac performed on animal hair?

My wife and I are quite intrigued by this thread...even though I don't think there's any way I should be spending that kind of money on a vacuum right now. But our Dirt Devil upright is constantly needing to be unclogged or needing to have a belt replaced, etc. Something's gotta give.

We've got two dogs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey mike -
yep, i have three cats (and for a while we had a little dog too).
i tried to examine the gunk in the cannister to see exactly what it was. from what i could tell, there was quite a bit of pet hair in there, but i can't say for sure exactly what it was. i mean, it could have been old carpet fibers, dust, etc. oh yeah, actually there was quite a bit of dust that it picked up as well - that impressed me too.
i would say give it a go mike. you can always return it if you're not satisfied. i'm sure i'm gonna keep it though - since wifey called me today and told me she loved it...so there ya go! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks