What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/60#post_2648997
Well...talk about your impulse purchases! https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/d/d9/htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif">
I got home from work today...told my wife the guys on the HTF revived the Dyson vacuums thread with news of an exclusive Hoover vac at W-M. We checked out the Fusion at W-M.com and hoover.com. Then promptly went to our nearest W-M, checked out all the Vacs on hand...including the Dyson DC-7 ($399)...and purchased a Fusion ($128.88).
Got it home, had it built in 5-minutes-tops, and started vacuuming like fools. Could not believe what was being deposited in the canister!
As we headed to the checkout a woman stopped us and said, "oh, look...a Fusion!" I asked how she knew about them and she said she had just purchased a new Dyson but had a very hard time picking between the two of them. She admitted the Dyson was complicated to operate...but vacuumed like a champ. That just further fortified our decision which was pretty much determined by price. Plus, we figured if we were dissatisfied, there is no easier place to return a product than Wal-Mart. Also amazing was that two other people...including the checkout clerk commented on the "Fusion"...like we were making this amazing purchase! It was pretty weird.
But, honestly, the amount of dust and dog hair that the Fusion pulled out of just our downstairs carpets (two-canisters-full!) was enough to make us think we had made a good decision. My wife and I were married 23 years ago and were given a Hoover vac as a gift. It lasted 20 years! Of course, vacuums were made of much sturdier materials back then...much more metal, cloth, and rubber than plastic. But, the vacuum technology sure seems to have improved! Anyway, we had tried a couple of different vacuums since the ol' Hoover died (mostly Dirt Devils) and found them sorely lacking.
Thanks, Alf for posting about the Fusion!
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/180#post_3609184
If you've got a Big Lots store near you, you might check them out. I noticed my local store selling refurbished Dysons in the $260 range.

It killed me to walk away without one. I am still, somehow, making do with that POS Hoover Fusion. It is a major PITA to deal with...but I am still getting the floors clean, I guess.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/180#post_3522100

I have a serious case of non-buyer's remorse!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not exactly sure the point you were honing in on with all those quotes, Tony...

But to sum up where-I-am:

I really want a Dyson, finances pushed me to the Fusion. Loved the Fusion at first, then it slowly started to fall apart on us. And while it still works, it is an aggravating experience.

I really do wish I could have just splurged, a few years ago, on the Dyson--which I expect would have been the far superior purchase.

It's not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last where I made a purchase that was less than what I wanted for financial considerations...only to later see the results of that action come home to roost.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had too many quotes in there, I was just poking at you with the "this thing is great" to the "this thing stinks"
over the years since you bought it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...you should see the vacuum cleaner! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
You'd see what I mean.
It's like the wise man says, if you think something is too good to be true, it probably is. At least it is for me, in this case.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
btw, big lots has the dyson thin for sale at $270 this week.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, we have a DC17 in house now. New from Amazon for $300, its not the animal, but I dont think we would have used the extra attachments anyway.

It seems to have lots of suction, and picked up lots of stuff, but I can't say it was better then our hoover windtunnel when that was new as that is now 8 years old and really needs a new beater brush to get the most out of it. What I do love though is the suction from the hose attachment, now the hoover NEVER had this good of suction from the hose attachment so this is a very welcome plus.

I love the sound also, sounds kinda like a turbine, I have noted that kirby's also make this sound.

So, so far so good and glad we got it. I'll post up a 3 month review or so when the time comes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The ol' Boss is starting to lose its mojo, I think. What's the difference between a regular Dyson and an "Animal" Dyson? Something to do with pet hair?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/180#post_3651075
The ol' Boss is starting to lose its mojo, I think. What's the difference between a regular Dyson and an "Animal" Dyson? Something to do with pet hair?
Yes, the animal just comes with 3 more attachments then just the regular vacuum. A quick review, the beater brush part has started to make a strange sound, like it is rubbing against something, but I can not see anything that it could be rubbing against. Also, the extension hose/hand is a good thing bad thing. With just the one extension, it is too short for some other things, but I still love the suction.

Cath10

Auditioning
Real Name
Cathleen Cleary
Dyson user satisfaction appears to be really high for upright vacuum cleaners. Out of 5 stars, users rated Dyson as follows:

1) Dyson DC31 Animal - 4.6 stars by 13 users
2) Dyson DC25 Animal - 4.6 by 289 users
3) Dyson Dc28 Animal - 4.6 stars by 84 users
4) Dyson DC22 Motorhead - 4.5 stars by 53 users
5) Dyson DC23 Motorhead - 4.5 stars by 93 users
6) Dyson DC23 Turbinehead - 4.5 stars by 26 users
7) Dyson DC25 All Floors - 4.5 stars by 389 users
8) Dyson DC31 Handheld - 4.3 stars by 12 users
9) Dyson DC14 Animal - 4.3 stars by 536 users
10) Dyson DC17 Aniaml - 4,2 stars by 684 users

Sources: Google Products and Best Vacuum

A lower priced alternative is the Shark Navigator NV22L which is rated 4.6 stars by 81 users and is about half the price of a Dyson.

astirl

Auditioning
Real Name
astirl
yea, I have a red Robotic Vacuum Cleaner . It is not Dyson, but it very useful.

arielnorton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ariel
I have decided to purchase a new vacuum cleaner and after several hours of online research have decided on a make and model of my new vacuum cleaner. I have decided to purchase a Dyson. Seems to have everything I am looking for, quality and power. I have been checking out several sites in search of a good price and found a site called max-vacuum.com. The price is good but when spending this much for a vacuum cleaner I am also interested in the company's reputation. Has anyone dealt with this company/site? One of the things I hate about purchasing things online is the possibility of returning it if it is not up to snuff. So I am interested in any dealing with this company and its' return department or policy. Was their customer service good or were they rude? Did they provide timely responses to inquiries? Any help that can be given is really appreciated.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Best Buy has Dyson DC17 HEPA Bagless Upright Vacuum for $198. Select in-store pickup to save on shipping, otherwise it's $19 to ship to home.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1218143232395

Yes, we are still loving ours after 8 months so far. I took apart the brush and cleaned it out and no more sound. Would recommend this for anyone to get, especially at $200!

I go and refresh the page and now it's sold out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[SIZE= 24px]Finally! [/SIZE] I scored a used Dyson DC-15 Ball from a local vacuum repair shop yesterday. It's only been five years I've been wanting one.

From 3-7-2006

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
My wife and I are quite intrigued by this thread...even though I don't think there's any way I should be spending that kind of money on a vacuum right now. But our Dirt Devil upright is constantly needing to be unclogged or needing to have a belt replaced, etc. Something's gotta give.
We've got two dogs.
Down to just one dog now...but that Hoover Fusion I brought several years ago (after that 3-7-06 post) wasn't satisfactory for all that long. Lots of broken parts and cobbing it together with spit and duct tape.

As so many others before me, I was quite impressed by the job this vacuum did on its first pass through my main floor.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I still have my Hoover and it still works. Guess I got lucky on that one.
The Dyson thin that came when my brother moved in stayed when
he moved out as a parting gift.
Also still works and very well.
Only complaint I have is that i would like the hose to be much longer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony:

The things that broke on my Hoover Fusion: The hinge at the bottom of the canister (that was probably the biggest inconvenience), the height adjustment, the small wheel assembly underneath, the attachment clips on the side and the locking lever which locked the vacuum into the upright position (that was pretty inconvenient, too). These were all plastic parts that broke.

And we don't treat things too roughly at our house.

The fact that the Dysons are mostly plastic bothers me a bit--given that experience with the Fusion.

Oh I wish, I wish, I wish, I had kept the Hoover upright that my wife and I were given as a wedding present 29 years ago. That thing was a tank and I definitely should have invested more in it's upkeep.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
All vacuums seem to be made of the same plastic these days.
Maybe the Dyson has better plastic.
Maybe I should put my Hoover up on ebay and list it as oop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been selected to host a House Party demo of the Dyson Digital Slim. Party is on Sunday March 10th at 4 PM. Will have snacks and drinks and there is absolutely no obligation to buy anything, will just show off this cool bit of new tech and compare it to my Dyson Animal for those who care to see that too. If you are able to make it down to Aberdeen MD that day let me know via PM or email at [email protected] For those who haven't seen the place yet it'll also give me a chance to show of the new digs =) http://www.houseparty.com/event/dyson

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Hoover died, so no eBay. Sam if I didn't have to work I'd drive down. Good luck with the demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks