What's new

Anyone have a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner? (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...some time has passed...
And I'm wondering if people with Hoover Fusions are still liking them. I'm fit to be tied with mine. Although I have found recently an even better way to clean the red center piece. Turn it upside-down and let water run through the small holes. it will fill up the top of the unit (you'll feel it get heavy). You can then swish the water around and rinse it out and wait till you see the gunk come out!! I've also taken to more-regular cleanings of the thin filters in the main unit above and below where the canister sits. I'm also constantly untangling strings, long hair, etc. from the beater brush.
It still gets the job done...but some many of the plastic fittings have broken off. For example, the hinge on the bottom plate of the canister busted off a while back. Some of the plastic brackets which hold the attachments have long broken off. The adjustment thumbscrew (located in front of the headlamp) stopped working when the plastic piece to adjust the height broke.
Even though it appears as if this model was discontinued quite awhile ago (I haven't seen it for sale @ Wal-Mart--or anywhere--in a long time) I'm sure I could probably get some replacement parts for it. I keep thinking of the day when I'll just splurge on that ever-elusive Dyson.
I'm assuming, of course, that all the Dyson owners are still happy with their machines?!? :confused: :D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Our Fusion was put to rest long ago..after the handle mechanism broke and it became a pain to clean...not to mention the poor emission ratings it got from CR. We then got a Eureka Turbo Dirt Devil or something like that...sadly it too turned out to be a dud...1 minute of vacumming basically clogged the filter area to the point it barely had suction...worthless POS.
For Xmas this past year my parents surprised us with a new Dyson Ball (Animal version) and it's been a great machine...very easy to use, clean, overall very well built for sure. CR states they don't clean carpets that well, but it seems to do the job fine for us.

mylan

Screenwriter
The ball seems to be a great concept but doesn't it leave a weird carpet track? That is, after all what I notice after a good vacuuming.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Still happy with my DC07
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Still happy with my Miele cannister vac. I needed HEPA certification (not the filter, the entire vac system) due to bad allergies and this was one of the few that offered it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm pretty happy with my bagless Eureka Boss (the one with the duster that snaps in). It's no Dyson, but it only cost about $100 and it's still working pretty well after several years. It's very easy to clean, too (just rinse out the filters and collection compartment in the sink).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
New animal announced today. Figures, I have a 30% off coupon for Kohls through my sister and I am buying a Dyson this weekend.
http://gizmodo.com/5254811/dysons-dc...ounds-powerful
I'm down to the DC17 Animal or the DC25 Animal. I'm just not sure if going to the lighter/agile 25 is worth the loss in suction and beater bars that the older 17 has. Stuff only a geek would worry.
I was sold on the Dyson when my cheapo 10 year old vacuum died on me so I drove to my parents house and borrowed their DC17 Animal. They love it and it does an amazing job for them, only downsides are the price and weight. Well, 30% off does a good job of taking the price down to realm of being reasonable.
That's probably what I'm going to get. If I hadn't heard others slightly bagging (ha!) on the DC25s carpet performance I would get that instead...

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, back to the Dyson thread! We are seriously thinking of getting a refurb'd DC17 from Amazon, but it will only come with a 6 month warranty. Any order a refurb before? The reviews only have like 10 bad out of 130 reviews, so I would think the odds are in your favor.

Just a poll, everyone's dyson still going strong after years of use and anyone buy a refurb?

Search Amazon for

Remanufactured Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner

to check it out.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I bought a refurb Dyson Animal (purple) from Woot. It's held up for five years, still performs like new, and even though it was a refurb, it was absolutely indistinguishable from new -- not a spec of dust, not a single abrasion on any of the plastic, either from handling or from debris in the airways/bin.

I don't know if my experience is common, but I don't think I could have done any better with a brand new unit. I'd definitely do it again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you've got a Big Lots store near you, you might check them out. I noticed my local store selling refurbished Dysons in the $260 range.

It killed me to walk away without one. I am still, somehow, making do with that POS Hoover Fusion. It is a major PITA to deal with...but I am still getting the floors clean, I guess.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Yes, it was a big lots sale that got us interested again as they had the dc14 on sale for $269 (refurb) , but we can get the dc17 (rated better) for only $30 more at Amazon. Just trying to find out how many have bought refurbs before, and now that some have had them for years, how are they holding up?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/180#post_3609253
The absolute cheapest way to get a new Dyson is to get a 30% coupon from Kohls. You also get a ton of Kohl Cash when going this way.
Love my 17!
It appears they only have the DC14 and then it goes to the balls (24, 25 and 28), no more DC17 that I can see.....DC14 would be $300 and come with the full warranty though......

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/152938/anyone-have-a-dyson-vacuum-cleaner/180#post_3609184
If you've got a Big Lots store near you, you might check them out. I noticed my local store selling refurbished Dysons in the $260 range.
It killed me to walk away without one. I am still, somehow, making do with that POS Hoover Fusion. It is a major PITA to deal with...but I am still getting the floors clean, I guess.
I still have mine too, but my brother moved in and with him came one of those thin dysons, works better then the hoover but I was fine with the hoover.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm. I guess the addition of a Dyson makes it palatable for a family member to move in...
"Okay, you can move in...but ya gotta bring a Dyson!"
j/k /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks