What's new

Anyone gone mirrorless? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Here's one I just found -- NOT the example I was referring to, not even the same website, but again it shows on the left the Olympus tendency towards brown and, on the right, the Sony tendency towards green:
2bd2eac9_143446u1d17uvviti2g2g7_jpg_thumb.jpeg

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Another blog with examples of the NEX and the PENs, the color tendencies of each:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/08/26/sony-nex-c3-vs-olympus-e-p3-jpeg-test/
Really good examples there.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And even in video mode, you can see how Olympus has chosen a certain look which is less yellow-green, or how Sony prefers yellow-green (and overexposure). It isn't all differences in how they do their white balance - these are choices made elsewhere:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I came -this- close to buying an Olympus E-P3 and I am sure it's a great camera, but if you are seriously considering buying -anything- that company makes right now with an expectation that they are going to have a long life you aren't paying attention.
Absolutely right. It may effect the ability to get an Olympus camera repaired. And it would certainly mean less chance of firmware updates for other-brand lenses. The other brand being Panasonic, since Panasonic and Olympus both pioneered the micro4/3rds format and can use each other's lenses.
It is a niche, and possibly a vanishing niche if no one buys Olympus' camera division and continues the direction they've been going on.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More rumors of yakuza involvement swirl...
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/18/2570781/police-suspect-olympus-organized-crime-financial-loss?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are crazy if you consider spending serious money on Olympus gear until this is sorted out.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/29/us-olympus-idUSTRE7AS0BA20111129?type=companyNews
The camera operations lose money. They could be jettisoned to save the endoscope business which is their bread and butter profit.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't go so far as to say "crazy". Most people never need to have their camera repaired, and since micro4/3 lenses are not particular to Olympus (Panasonic makes them too) there's no shortage there. In fact there's a particular Panasonic lens which is a very popular choice for Olympus users.
There is no RELIABLE information on what years the camera division made money and when it did not - it has all been lies for 20 years. Certainly the most recent few years have been very good for them. Even the American who blew the whistle on this whole thing likes the camera division and the medical imaging division:
Woodford says: “The problem for Olympus has always been the dominance of Canon and Nikon in the DSLR market. Their dominance was rather like our business in endoscopes, but the advent of mirrorless cameras has brought about a renaissance.”
Note that he is specific that the renaissance for Olympus' camera division is because of their micro4/3 cameras - their "PEN" line - not for DSLRs (does Olympus even make DSLRs?).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you go into an Olympus purchase at this time fully aware of their very serious troubles and still make that leap of faith then it's all good. As I tell people buy what works for you today, don't expect that improvements to a system will make it even better down the road. And if all you want is a cam and kit lens and you aren't thinking of this as a system you will stick with for a decade or more then the initial purchase is even more benign. It would be fooling to say "just go in with open eyes" because who knows what other craziness lurks for all these different companies. But since this part of it is out in the open and they are getting absolutely pounded, I'd hope most folks at least consider the future as one part of their buying checklist.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Okay...I been vasilating between the EP3 and the NEX-5 now for a while. The EP3 is 779 on amazon right now and the NEX-5 is $399 on ebay (daily deal). I just did the NEX-5....hopefully the money saved will be able to get me the needed accessories.
So what accessories do I need? Extra battery ? (size?). I was thinking of a fixed lense vs the zoom (trying to keep it as compact as possible). With my Nikon 35 mm stuff, my portable lense was always a 35MM focal length. what is the 4/3 equivalent?
TIA!!
Gregg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Gregg Loewen said:
Okay...I been vasilating between the EP3 and the NEX-5 now for a while. The EP3 is 779 on amazon right now and the NEX-5 is $399 on ebay (daily deal). I just did the NEX-5....hopefully the money saved will be able to get me the needed accessories.
So what accessories do I need? Extra battery ? (size?). I was thinking of a fixed lense vs the zoom (trying to keep it as compact as possible). With my Nikon 35 mm stuff, my portable lense was always a 35MM focal length. what is the 4/3 equivalent?
TIA!!
Gregg
If you are referring to Nikon full frame 35mm, then something around 17mm would be the 4/3rds equivalent. If you are referring to Nikon's crop sensor dSLR's, then 24mm would probably be the closest 4/3rds focal equivalent.
Nikon crop sensor = 1.5x crop factor
4/3rds = 2x crop factor

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The NEX family is also a 1.5x crop.
Not to demean your purchase Greg but I'm surprised you went with the year old 5 instead of the 5N, which is a pretty big upgrade for not that big of a cost jump. I'm loving my 5N so far!
Extra battery is a must. You get maybe 400-500 shots with the bundled one, and you never know when any battery will have a mishap. It's good insurance to have a backup.
Extra cards are must. I recommend Sandisk Extreme as mine have been run over by firetrucks and left in water overnight and still kept working, others may disagree and say they are all the same, but YMMV.
The 16mm fixed lens is a decent one but not all that sharp in the corners, especially on the upcoming NEX-7 which really stresses it. I got mine for $100 bundled in with my kit and I consider that a bargain worth taking.
The 30mm macro is slower at f3.5 but AWESOME quality.
30a8d100_6367537851_e159c541bd_b.jpeg

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Gregg Loewen said:
TIA!!
Gregg
The NEX is an APS-C sensor, not a micro4/3rds sensor. As Sam says, the NEX lenses are a 1.5x crop. So if you like 35mm focal length, you should look for a 20mm NEX lens -- i.e., the kit zoom that came with the camera (18-55mm) or the 16mm pancake which also sometimes comes with the camera.
You might also want to buy a couple remote triggers - IR Wireless Remote for Sony NEX. Much easier than self-timers for group family photos on a tripod. They're on ebay, they're all made in China, and it is a crapshoot as to whether you get one that actually works or not. But since they're only three or four bucks (WITH shipping), take the chance. Much cheaper than buying the official Sony one. Be sure to test the range. Some folks say that the ones that claim to work from ten feet away actually fail if you're a couple steps from the camera.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Gregg Loewen said:
TIA!!
Gregg
I'm worried you bought a body with no lens, and are now about to discover that the kit lenses, when bought separately from the camera, are more expensive than they should be and the total will end up being more than if you'd bought a brand new 5n-with-lens.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Will_B said:
The NEX is an APS-C sensor, not a micro4/3rds sensor. As Sam says, the NEX lenses are a 1.7x crop.
Actually I just reread that to make sure you quoted me right, and you did, but that was a typo. The NEX family is a 1.5 crop same as APS-C, not 1.7 as I had written. It's a small difference but I wanted to make sure I corrected it.
I'm worried that Greg thinks the NEX family is M4/3rds compatible, we haven't seen him post here since his purchase.
Once my NEX-7 ships I'll have a spare kit lens for sale tho =) The NEX-7 has a black kit lens that ships with it and I intend to keep the 30 Macro almost permanently attached to the 5N and in my glovebox for rapid access.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ok I corrected my quote. He probably just found himself a camera forum somewhere. He'll be back!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys
Okay...I should have been reading more.
I didnt know there was a 5 and a 5N...argh!!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
thanks for all the replies.
when the camera arrived, I quickly gave it to Heather to wrap and give back to me for Christmas.
It came with a 18-55? zoom (or what ever the standard is).
I have also purchased a 16 mm 2.8 (should be about a 24 - 28 mm equivalent on a full frame), an extra battery, remote, and 49 mm UV filter.
I didnt know the NEX was not a 4x3. is the 1.5 crop more of a 4x6 aspect ratio?
Im going to check to see if I got N version (Im guessing no as the price was only $399.).

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
okay...it is not an N.
The N version is $699 ($300 more). What I am I getting for 75% more cost ?
I purchased the camera from Beachcamera and have a 30 day return window.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Much better high ISO shooting (up to 25k)
Faster shots per second
better resolution higher quality sensor
OLED external viewfinder option
1080p video
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/sony-nex-5n-replaces-nex-5-adds-16-1-mp-sensor-25-600-max-iso/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks