What's new

anyone get Warner's "The Mummy"? (Hammer's 1959 version) (1 Viewer)

bill lopez

Second Unit
Nice print. Just a little better quality than than laserdisc.
video:C color:C sound:C extras: just trailer

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I'm a HUGE Hammer Films fan and I'm very happy to own the new disc of The Mummy
However, I'm quite puzzled by the praise that the new Warner DVD is receiving...it's merely an adequate transfer.
Yes, I know the film is 40 years old...but so what, it should still look a LOT better than this!
For age comparison, check out Columbia's recent TV prints of Hammer's Terror of the Tongs (1961), Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Paramount's TV print of The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) and the Universal LD's of Brides of Dracula (1960) & Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
All of these look terrific and even the above TV prints look MUCH better than Warner's DVD of The Mummy!
It's too bad Warner didn't take a little more time with their release of The Mummy disc.
------------------
Link Removed

bill lopez

Second Unit
I felt the same way about THE GODFATHER dvds praise also.
So it comes down to people are just glad to have it on dvd.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I felt the same way about THE GODFATHER dvds praise also.
So it comes down to people are just glad to have it on dvd.
Movies are not created equal. Sometimes decent prints don't exist. Sometimes a restoration is too expensive. Sometimes they didn't look so great to begin with.
People are happy to own the movies they love on the format they love. The Mummy and The Godfather, while not perfect, look better at home than they've ever looked before.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Now that THE MUMMY is out, don't forget all the other Hammer films that Warner owns that they must put out on DVD: CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED, HORROR OF DRACULA, DRACULA A.D. 1972, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, SHE, MOON ZERO TWO.
Check out the Warner/horror campaign at www.dvddrive-in.com

William Miller

Second Unit
I agree 100% with Bill McA.
A very disappointing transfer. It's a very soft picture with the colors looking very dim as opposed to the great vibrant Hammer color of this era. The AMC TV print looked 5 times better.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Clearly lots more people have watched their Mummy disks since this thread was started! I am no expert and do not have top of the line anything, but I thought the disk looked very good on my 27" JVC D series television. The picture was neither soft nor dull. I was pretty surprised by how sharp and rich it did look, actually. Guess I must be a cheaper date than I thought. :)
Deborah
------------------

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Deborah,
THE MUMMY was not a big budget film by any stretch of the imagination and Technicolor film elements from forty years ago tended to be a little soft compared to today's wondrous new film stocks. Understanding this, THE MUMMY looked very good to my eyes, even when viewed on a 65 inch wide screen display.
P.S. I'm sure you're not that cheap a date!
laugh.gif

------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com
[Edited last by Derek M Germano on November 06, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Derek,
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence and for sharing your opinion of the film's picture quality as seen on a larger screen than mine. I am pretty buggy about poor video, but the film looked clean and crisp to me. I was not expecting the color to rival that of the 1999 The Mummy, so perhaps my expectations were just more in line with what was offered.
Deborah (who may be "cheap" but is not easy! :) )
------------------

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Deborah,
THE MUMMY does look good for a film of its age and production history.
BTW, I'm not all that cheap either, but I am easy!
eek.gif

Derek
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna pick this one up soon, guys. I have it on VHS, and Warner needs to release more horror titles. I'm going to do my part. I suggest others do the same.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I think THE MUMMY looks fine. The main problem is to get the stingy Warner people to release the rest of the Hammer titles on DVD. I'm sick of this "maybe" shit. But them out already!!!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
George
This is your 4th post in this thread stating the EXACT same thing (not including the other threads)...you are becoming quite wearisome....
frown.gif

------------------
Link Removed

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
We're all behind you 100%, George. But we get the point!
Try posting your frustrations in the Studio Feedback section of the forum.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
George, don't let them bother ya. The HTF is firmly anti-horror to begin with. If they don't watch out, they'll become the 'Aint-it-Cool-News' of the online DVD forum community (actually, I think most people already see them as that) and nobody will take them seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks