What's new

Anyone for a release of FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD on blu? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Hope we will see this John Schlesinger film on blu one of these days, and Julie Christie always looks great on any format..

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Absolutely agree. This is a very underrated film in my opinion. Question for the experts here.... I know this was shot in 35mm Panavision and played some dates in a 70mm blow up, but I have read that this film never had a stereo track, that it was released in mono only (same as HAWAII). Can anyone confirm this?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jim*Tod said:
Absolutely agree. This is a very underrated film in my opinion. Question for the experts here.... I know this was shot in 35mm Panavision and played some dates in a 70mm blow up, but I have read that this film never had a stereo track, that it was released in mono only (same as HAWAII). Can anyone confirm this?
I saw it in 70mm and it looked magnificent - I didn't even realise at the time that it was only a blow-up. I'm pretty sure that it was in stereo.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
We used to run a 70mm blow-up at the National Film Theatre in London and I'm sure thunder used to boom out of the surround speakers during the storm-hayrick scene. While a Blu-ray would be more than welcome, the R1 DVD looks most impressive.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Jim*Tod said:
Jim*Tod said:
Jim*Tod said:
I was the art director at the theatre chain that presented this film in 70mm projection in Toronto. I can definitely confirm that it did have a stereo soundtrack. All 70mm prints were striped with 6 magnetic tracks which were added to the picture after processing. The vastly improved fidelity of the audio (35mm optical tracks sounded like a cheap desk top radio) accompanied by a noticeably brighter and sharper image projected onto a huge screen turned a trip to the movies into an event.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw this for the first time last year on a TCM broadcast and what a great film with excellent acting and scenery. The Warner Bros. dvd looks good but would love to see a blu-ray release.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
A 35mm print of this was shown at the BFI Southbank last
weekend. They checked a 70mm print but of course it had colour faded.

When Adrian was at the NFT they run some great 70mm prints, they were the days...

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I annoyingly missed the 35mm presentation yesterday Monday at the NFT. Does anyone know what the prinnt was like? The BFI advised all 70mm prints held at the NFTArchive were faded.......
I hope a Blu Ray surfaces this year maybe one for the rights owners Warner Bros?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The BFI has 5 x 70mm prints of this title in the Archive,
I ran a 35mm print of this a few years ago and it was
pretty good, it had a Mono track.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Fascinating and thank you. I am surprised these are all pink now ...a shame...

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
You should pass this on to Geoff Andrew at the BFi who resolutely refused to screen the 70mm version. They have the projection equipment but do they have the enthusiasm to screen 70mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks