What's new

Anyone else partial to female vocalists? (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am also a huge fan of female vocalist. Has anyone mentioned Amanda Marshall? She has a tremendous voice. She has released 3 CDs. Her first one is the best, but the most recent is very good as well. It is available as a single-layer, MC SACD.

TomCW

Second Unit
Randy_M's right about Kim Richey and Jonatha Brooke.

Both are very good songwriters and can sing well with convincing emotion.

After Sheryl Crow's last album (C'mon C'mon), I'm not so sure about her. I relly liked her other stuff but I think this one was just to make somebody rich. It's just a little too catchy and slick for my tastes.

Tom

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I love both male and female vocalists, but I've always been partial to the females. My favorites are:

Karen Carpenter

Patti Austin

Carly Simon

Roberta Flack

Mary Chapin Carpenter

K.D. Lang

John Watson

Screenwriter
When it comes to female vocalists, yes, the POV is important, and sometimes exciting. But the song has to be good, and feminist lyrics hardly ever cut it with me.
Tho I loved "You Don't Own me" by Leslie Gore. IMO, it can't top STAND BY YOUR Man, even when Lyle Lovett did in The Crying Game.
Speaking of the late Tammy, whynot?. PS Loved her STAND BY THE JAMs with the KLF.
The voice and song can combine fabulously. For my generation, Marianne Faithful had that cabaret pose and wit, that I still go for, tho now I'd find Diana Krall's voice more satisfying (and less irritating). About 12 years ago Tanita Tikaram's TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY blew me away. I'm even thinking of listening for a version by Liza Minelli. And Shirley Bassey doing History Repeating with Propellerheads is amazing.
Sometimes the music and song is great, but the voice is a little high pitched or thin for my liking. So Nanci Griffith, or Emmy Lou Harris sound better in duets to me. Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders was probably my favorite female rock vocalist. Ella is perhaps my favorite all round classic jazz-pop singer, tho I have many more Nancy Wilson cds
Finally, I have a collection of "Girl Groups" music, those shrill, sometimes sappy, but sentimentally monumental and gorgeous 60s songs. If you've ever heard "Popsicles, icicles" by the Murmaids, even if you're only 30, I think you'd understand.
:)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
To those who like Kate Bush, try finding something by a great British singer named Vera Lynn. The Yanks probably won't know who she is, but her voice has been an inspiration to millions of Brits.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
85 posts into the thread and no one has mentioned (so allow me to):

Rickie Lee Jones

Angela McCluskey (of the Wild Colonials)

Katherine Whalen (of Squirrel Nut Zippers)

Erin McKeown

Brad

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
To those who like Kate Bush, try finding something by a great British singer named Vera Lynn. The Yanks probably won't know who she is, but her voice has been an inspiration to millions of Brits.
If they don't know her name or face, they've heard her. At least, everybody who's seen and loved "Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" can sing along with Vera:
We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when
But I'm sure we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through, just the way you used to do
Till the blue skies chase the dark clouds far away
Here are some snippets I found.

george king

Supporting Actor
well, everyone who likes female vocals should check out
Martha's Trouble (www.marthastrouble.com) The CD sleeping dogs is one of the best I have heard in quite awhile. They just released a direct to DSD SACD Still, which is amazing also.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks Vickie_M,for the excellent post. Vera Lynn sang with a voice of conviction and hope, truly an inspiration to generations. They don't make them like her anymore, not even close.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Has kd lang been mentioned?

Last night I was watching the kd lang HARVEST DVD I'd bought last week, and as well as the expected outstanding performances of her better known materiel, I found an unexpected treat of her singing with Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, and Brenda Lee. They did a gorgeous medley and called it "Honky Tonk Angels".

I still think kd should sing THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, perhaps she could do it with Lil Old Richard, while there is still time. (Tried to put the happy face here, but something about this site's board always fouls that up, so just imagine it!)

PS, on a sad note, Nina Simone just died

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Good thread.

Allow me to plug a few women that haven't (as far as I read) been given their due...

Caitlin Cary: the other voice of the (sadly) defunct Whiskeytown. She has an amazing EP and 2 great solo LPs, one of which is out this week. I'm going to hear her on Friday.

Tift Merritt: another alt-country goddess, similar in style to Caitlin. She's featured on an indie EP with a great group called the Two Dollar Pistols, and has a single major label album release, "Bramble Rose," which is sublime.

Both of these women made their bones in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill alt-country scene, wherein I was lucky enough to catch both live several times.

Patricia Barber: difficult to classify other than alt-jazz, whatever the hell that is. Her songs are more atmosphere than melody, but she plays some mean keys and her recordings are top-notch. I use her "Cafe Blue" to demo speakers, CD transports and amps. Once you've heard "Cafe Blue" through Lexicon's Logic 7, you never go back...

Second, third, and fourth Rebecca Pidgeon, the very talented singer/actress (David Mamet's wife). Her stuff on Chesky is an audiophile's dream.

Also, let me second or third Tracey Thorn, the primary voice of Everything But the Girl and Massive Attack's "Protection". That voice, wow. Listen to her cover of Elvis Costello's "Allison" on their "Acoustic" album and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Lastly, I'm more than a bit surprised that it took until page 3 for someone to mention Billie Holiday. Billie, Sarah Vaughn, Ella, Blossom Dearie--they just don't make 'em like they used to... For my money, Billie's was the greatest female voice in jazz, ever.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I just ordered a new release by an up and coming folkie named Lizzie West. Couldn't find it at Best Buy so I did Amazon and got Rosanne Cash's latest as well. Anybody heard Lizzie? I haven't yet, but it got good reviews, so I figured what the heck...

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Angelo, since you and I have had run-ins in the past, I want you to know that I don't mean to be condescending. You have great taste in music, and you do know about excellent obscure singers such as Rebecca Pidgeon and Tracey Thorne. Don't be upset with me. I just think that there are greats, near-greats and could-be-greats around today, just as there always have been.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
A wonderful thread. Over the last few years, I've really been getting into female singers, particularly singer-songwriters, whether as solo acts or as part of a band. I don't think I have a preference for female singers per se, but I am having a hard time finding music with male singers that I really like.
Some artists I haven't seen mentioned yet:
  • Jennifer Noble (Grey Eye Glances) - GEG is a great band making what I call "alterna-pop" - extremely catchy music with literate, specific lyrics and a wide range of musical styles incorporated. Jennifer's voice is clear, strong, and wonderfully used on GEG's stuff.
  • Mary Fahl (October Project) - I started a thread on this group a while back. Incredibly lush music that isn't quite pop, isn't quite gothic, isn't quite alternative. Mary's voice is amazing - obviously classically trained but very genuine and emotive.
  • Cindy Alexander - A folk/pop singer with a limited range but some great songs with just her and a guitar. Lyrics are very good!
  • Emmylou Harris - I can't believe this thread went 4 pages and no mention of Emmylou! Her last two studio CDs are phenomenal - Wrecking Ball and Red Dirt Girl. Ethereal, poetic, spiritual - all with great sound textures.
  • Poe - I "discovered" Poe via Napster and bought the album soon after (really!). I love her voice and style of music on "Haunted." The closest I can describe her voice is imagine Amy Grant with mean guitars and a pissed off attitude. :D I say that with all respect to Amy - I think she has a fantastic voice, as does Poe. Poe's a bit low, like Amy's, but also extremely powerful.
Some other female singers that are favorites of mine and already mentioned here:
  • Chantal Kreviazuk
  • Lisa Gerrard
  • Loreena McKennitt
  • Trisha Yearwood
  • Amy Lee (Evanescence)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
One thing's for sure when it comes to finding out who are the greatest female singers and that has to do with whether or not their records or cds are still being bought 40 or 50 yrs. or more later. You can't argue with sucess, as always, time will tell.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Dianne Reeves - The Calling: Celebrating Sarah Vaughan is the most played of my female vocal CD's. I know some people don't like it, but there is something about her voice that just gets me.

She's an outstanding Jazz vocalist and I think she is the best female jazz singer right now. Yes, better than Diana Krall, who is also outstanding.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I find I gravitate to female power singers, those that can really belt and wail. Most can also deliver sweet, gentle ballads. But when they let it loose, wow!

Some faves that have been mentioned previously:

Loreena McKennitt

Trisha Yearwood

Cher

Sarah McLachlan

Celine Dion

Lara Fabian

Some other personal faves:

Martha Wash (Two Tons/Weather Girls/Black Box/solo)

Heather Small (M People/solo)

Taylor Dayne

Melanie Thornton (La Bouche/Le Click/solo)

Anastacia

Donna Summer

Kathy Mattea

Patty Loveless

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'll take it upon myself to prevent this thread from making it to 100 posts without a mention of Janis Joplin. Not the prettiest voice, but damn she had power.

My current favorite is Alison Krause. Her voice is just so beautiful. Some of the other women I like include:

Abra Moore

Jewel

Sarah McLachlan

Sheryl Crow

Indigo Girls

Dido

Edie Brickell

Shonen Knife

Enya

Paula Cole

Tori Amos

Tracy Chapman

Joan Osborne is going to be touring for part of the summer with The Dead. That should make for a good show. I just hope they add a Dallas stop at some point.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
As far as Kate Bush goes, 'Hounds of Love' is generally considered her best
Considered by whom? People who never heard of her until Running Up That Hill became a hit in the US no doubt. Her first album The Kick Inside is way better than anything she's done since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks