1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else Looking Forward to The Queen on Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ScottFin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ScottFin

ScottFin Auditioning

I can't wait for this stylized, extremely well-acted historical drama to come to my favorite home theater tomorrow! Only ten short years ago the world was shocked by the tragic death of a world icon and philanthropist, Princess Diana.

Helen Mirren's Oscar-winning role as Queen Elizabeth and her her staunch nobility in the face of a crumbling monarchy and a loss with the will of the British people is an unforgettable performance. I hope the PQ lives up to the quality of this amazing movie. I recall there being many scenes with the vibrant colors of flowers and flags as well as the muted beauty surrounding the Royal Castle at Balmoral, Scotland.

Has anyone seen an advanced review for this disc???

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    It's a GREAT film Scott and if I had BD playback I'd be all over it. [​IMG]....perhaps soon.

Look forward to reading your impressions on the BD though. Wonderful performance by Helen Mirren. [​IMG]

3. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Is this worth a blind buy? I really REALLY want to see this movie and don't know if it's worth waiting for it on my rental que and just go and buy it.

4. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    Just got done watching the film on DVD and 'my o my', what a movie. But as good as the movie itself is, I am not quite sure how much it would really benefit from an HD presentation, considering the large amounts of 'video' footage included in the movie.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I only saw it once Harminder but most quality films do well in repeat viewings...I hope so at least as I plan on holding off buying this until I am BD equipped.

The acting is marvelous and Helen Mirren IS the Queen. [​IMG]

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I lthought it was really good in the theater, but I'm not sure I need to see it again. Maybe I'll grab the BD during a sale.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    netflix has one on the way.

look forward to seeing this one.

8. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

Just got done watching the disc. An excellent transfer for an excellent film.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    just got done myself.
    i expected a bit of a bore fest but it was actually a very interesting film.

i thought that whomever was Charles was miscast.
    could have gotten someone that looks like him a little bit.

the best character in the film for me was the guy who was tony blair.
    good role and interesting part on the film.

morer interesting to watch him in the film then helen mirren.
    i suppose this is who the Queen is but not really much for mirren to do there.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm gonna disagree with Tony and believe Helen was magnificent in the film, I'll agree that the Charles role was weaker than the other principals. The producers have my sympathy in trying to find a Charles look alike, it ain't easy. Not many humans look like Mr. Ed. What a different role for James Cromwell.

I thought the VC-1 encode was very nice. This sure is a film that can benefit from HD treatment, IMO. What relatively recent film wouldn't, The Blair Witch perhaps...? Rah, rah Disney, thank you can I have another....?

11. ScottFin

ScottFin Auditioning

I think this is a film that deserves HD treatment for a lot of reasons. Helen Mirren, 'nuf said. The insight into a tumultuous time in world history, brought to life through stunning costume design, set decoration and location footage. This one has a high repeat value for me.

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I thought the movie was good. Helen Mirren was fabulous.

The disc was not eye-popping, even in the non "video" scenes. You could easily tell, however, which video scenes were originally shot that way, and which were processed new footage.

Did I mention that Helen Mirren was fabulous? She won the Oscar the first time she posed for the portrait and turned to face the camera.

- Steve

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    She also looked absolutely stunning at the Oscars. After seeing The Queen, it's made me seek out Helen's other stuff too. [​IMG]

14. Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams Second Unit

just viewed the Blu-ray tonight... In short, an absolutely fantastic film, wonderful performances and a faithful transfer. Look for the full review in the next day or so.

15. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

I loved the Movie and I wish I had a BD player. Just a note of information on possible picture quality changes while watching. From the Variety review:

"Frears' decision to shoot the royals' scenes on 35mm and the Blairs' on handheld Super-16 -- contrasting the formality of the former with the informality of the latter -- works far more subtly in practice than it sounds in theory, largely because it's not overdone by d.p. Affonso Beato (an Almo-dovar regular)."

So, don't touch those controls.