What's new

Anyone else interested in the Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro? (1 Viewer)

Steve Blair

Second Unit
No prob. Yeah, Audyssey made a huge difference in my system. At first you think it's too quiet but it's not. It's just...more refined. If I switch it off now it sounds bad to me with a booming sub, less of that "sound bubble" that you get used to with Audyssey on. Turning it back on, it's more refined and the sub and other speakers sound balanced and more accurate. As far as running it, I use a microphone boom mic as if you try sitting the mic on a box or something like that you're gonna throw off the readings bigtime. There's a big discussion in the audyssey thread at avs on this basically saying to use a boom mic for the best results.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Hmm, you've really piqued my interest. This was definitely a part of my interest in the 9.8, but after SPLing it and thinking it sounded pretty dang good as is, I just kinda put it out of my mind. I've seen the thread over at AVS about Audyssey, but there's so much infomration it becomes unwieldy to manuever through. I typically use a tripod for my SPL, do you think that will work or is the reason they suggest the boom mike because you can "hover" it somewhat over the listening area?

Steve Blair

Second Unit
In that thread at avs some people use a tripod with a long bolt stuck to it with the mic on top. Like you mentioned, the boom stand is better of course for positioning the mic without interfering with the measurements.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to keep bugging ya, but where would i get one of these that also has a leveling bubble like my tripod does? I checked Musician's Friend, but none seem to have a leveling mechanism.

Actually, scratch that...if it sits on the floor behind my seating and booms over the back of the chair, then the floor WILL be level...duh. :|

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Yep :) I then use a level to set it up and then just move it to different spots in the room making sure the mic stand does not come between the speaker I'm testing and the listening position.

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick
I just used my regular camera tripod and everything worked fine. I just sat it in each seat with the mic at ear level and let 'er rip.

Randy Ghost

Agent
You guy's are just tearing me up reading all the great comments about the 9.8 LOL I'm still waiting for my unit. :frowning: I'm hoping to get it this month sometime but my dealer said the distributor stated all the units he had coming are for back orders.

Randy

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
The Audyssey available on the Integra DTC-9.8 is great but the "Installer's Professional set-up" is far superior. I have done several times the "internal" Audyssey calibration with great results; but when I purchased the Installers Kit and became a certified Audyssey Pro calibrator it brought a whole new dimension to what is possible with the Integra DTC-9.8.

Last night I invited a good friend of mine a University Music Professor to listen to my (six-position) Audyssey Pro calibration. He was totally amazed with what he heard! He told me than when he purchases his Integra DTC-9.8 he wants me to calibrate his system professionally.

This coming Saturday afternoon I am going to do the “Pro” calibration again but this time I am going to select ten locations. I’ll report my findings next week.

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux

I had to wait about 3 weeks for mine. It was back ordered and the dealer had 5 on order. When they finally got them in, he only got 2. Luckily I was #2 on the list. For once luck was on my side. So far it was worth the wait.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that there is a bit of a delay when switching between HD and SD channels from the TiVo. A bit longer than what the Yamaha had. Right now, I am running everything through Component video inputs and using optical for the audio. I'm hoping that once I get a TV with HDMI and start piping everything through HDMI, that they delay will be less. Anyone out there know?

Tom

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Randy,

Believe me, it's worth the wait! You may be surprised...I thought I'd be waiting for a month as well and mine showed up rather unexpectedly in like 10 days.

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
Well, instead of 10 locations I ran 12 locations, making the "sweet-spot" a very large "bubble" of extraordinary sound and enveloping. I played several regulard DVD's (Master & Commander, Gladiator, etc) and several HD-DVD's (Batman Begins, Transformers, etc) and some Blu-ray discs (The Fifth Element-Re-mastered, Kingdom of Heaven, etc.) The sound quality after the Audyssey EQ PRO was like I had changed speakers, amps, and everything else!

The Audyssey PRO kit does an extraordinary job of "correcting" the entire chain from source to speakers to room environment; even with room acoustic treament the PRO EQ does better. Yes, you can purchase the kit and the license for each processor in my case one license for my Integra DTC-9.8.

The sound perception within the "bubble" (in my case a very large bubble) is hard to verbalize! It was very realistic; you can tell that the sound appears to emanate from a very large field (all around) outside of where the speakers are located. I am extremely pleased with the results of my sound in my home theater. I am planning to do others theaters (of my friends) so I can help pay for the price of the kit. Purchasing the kit is easy, go to Audyssey Installer Program and follow the instructions. Learning how to do the professional intallers's equalization is relatively simple. The process is explained in detail in the manual. By the way you need a laptop with Windows XP or latest. The price of the “Installers’ Kit is $325.00 plus the License for each processor of $150.00.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Hmm, I'd LOVE to get this done, but no way I'm spending that much on it. I presume my dealer could do this for me???

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
Many dealers have the cappability to do the Audyssey MULTEQ Pro calibration for a fee plus your Pre/Pro License.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Gustavo. Yeah, I called my dealer and they were just planning on getting certified. Contacting Audyssey directing yielded a super fast response and same day return call from a local calibrator right down the road from me. He initially said $180, but then after I mentioned the license, he said that he remembered them talking about it, but wasn't sure if it was implemented yet. I'm on the fence about it now...I mean, I've cal'd my TV before for around that price, but for some reason it's harder for me to bring myself to spend it on the audio side and I'm a sound guy.

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
The Integra DTC-9.8 might need a firmware update at least up to version 1.05
If it is a new unit within two months it should be ready for "Audyssey MultEQ Professional." Yes, each processor be it Integra, Onkyo, or whatever, requires a $150.00 license. The only unit that does not require a license is their Separate Unit ($2,500.00) separates sound equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks