What's new

Anyone else having problems playing Criterion's Spellbound? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I received my replacement yesterday. The disc loaded fine, but the only that I played was the trailer. I'll go over the disc a bit more tonight and see if everything else is functional.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Criterion is already sending replacement DVDs? I just sent my old defective Spellbound DVD last week because I thought it might take awhile for them to get the replacements out.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
What did you send to Criterion, the whole keepcase or just the cover insert and disc? And what did they send back, a whole new keepcase (with booklet) or just the disc and insert? I just found out about this problem today, and need to send mine back.

Thanks!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I returned the front cover insert and disc. You can keep everything else. I haven't received a replacement yet, so I cannot comment on what they send. At least it should be what they wanted returned.

Brad HP

Agent
Anyone try this disc out on a Panasonic player? How about Panasonic RP-91? I bought a copy last week and have not opened it yet. I'm just wondering whether I should return it and wait for the newer version to be circulated. Thanks.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I sent just the disc and the cover insert. They sent back another complete factory sealed disc, so you'll end up with an extra case & booklet.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Well, I just sent mine back (with delivery confirmation). Hopefully it won't take too long for them to send the replacement. Thanks for the responses.

I sat down last night, ready to watch Spellbound (I had only ever seen it on TV), and the damn thing wouldn't work. Talk about a letdown. I watched special features from Attack of the Clones instead. Although I'm a Star Wars nut, it just wasn't the same.

How long has it been taking for people to get their replacements?

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I have Spellbound and it's knackered my player(Toshiba) worst of it is, Criterion won't allow me to send it back to them, as I'm from the UK.

I am very disappointed in their response - especially when I have about 40 or so of their discs.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Neil,

It's hard to believe that Criterion won't let you replace the title. If you have an option, return the movie to where you bought it from and then wait for the second pressings to start showing up. If you look in the lower right hand corner on the back cover, it will tell you which pressing you own.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

I sent my Spellbound to Criterion towards the end of October for an exchange. My original disc was not working on my Pioneer DVL-700 or DVl-91.

I recieved my 2nd Printing edition today in the mail. As I type this in my home office, it is playing on my older DVL-700! So it should play on my newer Pioneer which I'll do this weekend. Cool.

Thank you Criterion Collection!

Nelson

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
When I read the previously-posted letter from Criterion regarding what to include in your snail-mail to them, I panicked! All I sent was the cover insert! Then I re-read the email that I had received from them (and that I included in my snail-mail):
To exchange your faulty copy, please send the DVD cover insert (no need to send the disc or the case) to the following address:
*whew*

Don't scare me like that! Apparently they ran out of a need for drink coasters over there, and figured they didn't need to have people send the DVDs. Now I'm just wondering if I should get worked up about getting reimbursed for the 37-cent stamp.

Still waiting patiently for the replacement,

Geo

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
How can you tell the original release from the corrected one?

I originally tried to purchase this disc back when it was first released from DVD Planet's store in Huntington Beach, but they had just sent back their shipment because of the noted problems. I went there again during this past weekend and they had a bunch of copies, but when I asked for verification that it was the corrected version, the clerk called the manager over who looked at the back of the disc and stated that it was in fact the first printing. I asked why they shipped back the first printing weeks ago only to receive the very same printing, and he said he didn't know. He just showed me where it said FIRST PRINTING on the bottom of the fine print on the back of the case. So my question is, does the corrected version indeed say SECOND PRINTING?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Robert,

The corrected version does say Second Printing in the lower right hand corner of the back cover.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Watched it last night on my Pan. rv80 no problems at all. Every disc which people have problems with lately play just fine in this RV80 a solid player though it's not progressive scan.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Finally received my corrected copy of Spellbound today. It took about a month from the time I returned the bad disc to Criterion.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Got my replacement yesterday and it works fine. Thanks, Criterion! :emoji_thumbsup:

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
I've got a FIRST PRINTING disc and it will not play on my Onkyo DV-S501 player, which is based on the Toshibas.

I'll be sending in for a replacement.

Matt

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I want to order this over the net but how do I know if I will get the second pressing. If I get the first pressing and it doesn't play on my Toshiba I'll be stuck because Criterion won't send replacement discs outside of North America. Has anyone obtained the second pressing from any website suppliers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks