What's new

anyone else excited for elephant? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the new white stripes album?
I heard seven nation army on sirius a couple weeks ago, and since then couldn't help myself, I tried to hold out but had to hit kazaa for some previews, so far I think this album will be outstanding :emoji_thumbsup:

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really looking forward to Elephant. If Seven Nation Army is any indication this should be a killer album.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Me too! I'm assuming there will be a tour in support of the CD?

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I caved and downloaded weeks ago.

It is indeed very excellent. Like their other three albums, I'm finding it to have a very high "re-listenability" factor. I'll certainly be at the store tomorrow though to pick it up. I've read some interesting things about how it was recorded. No post-1963 (I think that's the date) technology used... both instruments and recording. Sounds it too.

And how's this for funny... the first notes played on the album are played on... ready... a bass.

I'll also be seeing them again soon... April 20th at the Orpheum in Boston. Look for me around about the 5th row... :)

I'm assuming there will be a tour in support of the CD?

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
This album is indeed great. It's a masterpiece and, in my opinion, the best thing The White Stripes have recorded to date. I have been listening to it non-stop for over a month now, and not only have I not gotten tired of it, but I am extremely excited about the official release today! That should tell you just how good this album really is.

And how's this for funny... the first notes played on the album are played on... ready... a bass.
Actually, it's not a bass. Jack played his guitar through an octave pedal on "Seven Nation Army" to get that bass-like sound. Fantastic song, by the way. :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda, that info is right off their website. I'll be buying both the CD version for the car and work and the album version for home.

Their tour schedule looks like the first few US dates are just promo shows and then they head to Europe and then hopefully will be back in the states for a full tour.

PS - If you guys like the White Stripes, I recommend you check out the Ravonettes, I bought their CD last night at Best Buy for $4.99 and its incredible!

Jason_H

Second Unit
I recommend you check out the Ravonettes, I bought their CD last night at Best Buy for $4.99 and its incredible!
Wow! :eek: What is it with Best Buy and indie music? More often than not lately, their prices have been rediculously low on indie bands when their CDs first hit the shelves. I bought Elephant for $9.99, and a few months back I bought Ash's "Free All Angels" and Primal Scream's "Evil Heat" BOTH with bonus DVDs for like $5.99 each. Unreal...not that I am complaining!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The Ravonettes are very cool but they sound more like a two-person Hives to me.

Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda
That's so cool! I don't know anyone fan enough to buy the CD 6 times to see it though.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Best Buy and indie music are a good thing. I bought White Blood Cells there for $7.99 when it first came out and I got Sparta's full length album for $6.99. Also got The Hive's VVV for $9.99 when it first came out.

PS - Elephant rocks my socks.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Just got it.
Meg sings! Seven Nation Army rocks. The last track is cute given the intentional ambiguity of their relationship.

What's up with the rear track listing? What is the column after the title of each song? After Seven Nation Army it has "148-A01".
Why the "Side A" and the red 3's?

Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda
My local Best Buy had only one cover to select from. Despite that limitation, I don't see how the covers would align to create anything.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I believe the six different covers are only on the vinyl edition of the album. All cd copies have the standard cover, as far as I know.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I believe the six different covers are only on the vinyl edition of the album. All cd copies have the standard cover, as far as I know.
I believe that is correct. The local punk record store said they sold all 25 of their album shipment in less then an hour....my name is first on the list for when more come in!

I did buy the CD version though at Best Buy as they didn't have the CD version there.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Listened to Elephant about 5 times already. By far their best since their 1st album. I really love it.

-Dean-

Steve Owen

Second Unit
What's up with the rear track listing? What is the column after the title of each song? After Seven Nation Army it has "148-A01".
No idea what the 148 is, but the A01 is the the numbering on the 2-album vinyl set. There are 4 sides (A,B,C,D), so A01 is track 1 on side A.

I will say that I'm a bit dissapointed in the sound of the vinyl. It's a VERY cool vinyl set... record 1 on WHITE vinyl and record 2 on RED vinyl, but it's been my experience that colored vinyl just never has the sound that black vinyl compounds are capable of. Of course, being that it was recorded on early 60's era equipment, the recording is a bit rough to begin with, but unfortunatly their choice of vinyl doesn't allow for maximum sonics.

That said... I'm liking this more with each listen, and I already like it A LOT!

-Steve

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Thanks for the info... why two albums? Are there extra tracks on the vinyl version? The CD is just under 50 minutes long and I would think that would fit on a single record (then again, it's been a long time since I've even held a record ;)).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehe the irony is I haven't bought the CD yet. I have the MP3's I broke down and sampled weeks ago, they sound like they were ripped from vinyl somehow, maybe it's just a really crappy job...
I liked the album a lot at first, but my interest has faded. I'll still buy it though. Maybe I'll get it on vinyl. Just what I need, another hobby :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This is what Jack White said about the vinyl version:

As for the Elephant album itself, the Stripes pulled all the stops and made it a double LP for wider, deeper grooves that results in a better listening experience for you, the skeptical music consumer. There will also be six, count em, SIX (6!) different album covers. When arranged in a proper pattern, they tell you where to find the third sword in Zelda. Seriously.
Elephant is the first cd I've bought that has made me want to go out to buy the vinyl just so I can hold it in my hands, and I haven't bought new vinyl (LP) in 8 or 10 years (when The In Sound by the Beastie Boys was vinyl only).

I think Elephant could be huge. "Nevermind" huge! I listened to it three times last night. Once under the influence. It gets better every time. To me, it ranks up there with Revolver and The Who Sells Out, and I am almost 40.

Unfortunately I think Warners is going to use "The Union Forever" from White Blood Cells and its borrowed lyrics from Citizen Kane to sue the Stripes into signing with the WB, essentially killing the band. Jack has said in the press that the album after this will probably be the band's last anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks