What's new

Anyone been scammed by a single Russian Woman? (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Ask her for her Visa number. Then, if you get it call the USCIS (formerly the BCIS and INS) to check on it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would try to prepare yourself for the worst, just in case. If there is another request for cash, I think you know what is going on.

Hopefully, we are all just a bunch of jaded people, and your dream girl is only a day's flight away! Do let us know how it all turns out.

Good luck!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

There's the catch. I hate to rain on your parade, but I imagine what will happen next is she will say you need to send 'X' number of dollars due to problems with 'immigration approval' or whatever.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Hope it works out Blu. Just keep a sharp eye out for the next request for cash. If she puts the touch on you for visa needs, now you know it's a scam.

As far as it being natural, cruel, and/or detailed; if it wasn't, you would ever fall for it? That's why con is short for "confidence".

Blu

Screenwriter
Thought about that too (with the anti immigration thing)
Will find out late this week for sure!

Again thanks for the input!
It is much appreciated!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it would be interesting to see the full headers from her previous email, and the one you expect to rec'v from the internet cafe.
Willing to be the origin will be the same.
At that point I'd start messing with her :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I know my perspective is completely different (I'm not female, not a doctor, not living in the former Soviet republic) but if I was short money on something I would simply borrow from my family or friends, I wouldn't ask somebody I hardly new in person to wire money to me. Why make somebody pay a wire fee via Western Union when one could ask friends or family for the money. It would be easier for me to pay friends where I live than say you, many miles away.

Good Luck!

Jay

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit

Healthcare is still government subsidized, and not the Swedish, or even Canadian way. ;) Enough said.

This is no more a scan than lottery. Have fun :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've met people through the internet before. One wonderful woman lives in Massachusetts and I met her in a Yahoo chatroom. We had a great relationship that lasted over a year or so. I also met another woman on a message board that lives in my city and we ended up getting together. She actually lives in my apartment building now as a result. I met a guy on the internet earlier this year that lives in London and he made it easier for me to visit England where I met him during my trip to Europe. Ok turns out he was gay and I don't swing that way, but he was still cool.

I never tried meeting Russian women before, don't really feel the need to, but internet relationships can actually work. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's potentially far more dangerous. If you are being scammed, a visit there puts you at greater risk for extortion, run-ins with the mafia, etc. I realize this is a pretty extreme case, but it's better (for your safety) to have her come to the U.S. And if she doesn't come, there is no way you should go there.

That said, I visited Russia, about seven years ago, for a month. It was fanastic! A great place with some wonderful people.

And, in all seriousness, every woman under 30 was gorgeous.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just what i was thinking. dang, i think the antonio show has been replaced.

blu - the best advice has already been given. simply stay smart and you'll be fine. be wary if you get another request for money. only you can decide if it's worth the risk, but at least you know the risk going in - that's better then most people!

on a side note (and with no offense meant) - it kinda sounds like you really want this to work. that's obviously understandable, but don't let it cloud your judgement. you sound pretty level-headed, so i think you'll be okay. :)

keep us in the loop!!! htf wants to know! :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
If any more money is asked for I'm saying you've got your answer.

I don't think the idea behind this is for him to actually go to Russia. I think that the idea is to see how she would react if he told her that he was coming. She may just want the money, and if so then him trying to go over there might be more than she wants to deal with. The point of doing such a thing is to see how receptive they are and why. On that site I linked to earlier with the Nigerian scam bating...he will do this a lot especially just by doctoring up a flight booking slip and so on.

If she gives you flight information, and you can check that kind of stuff out...I suggest you do so, but I don't know how easy or hard that might be.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think the qualifier "from a country such as Russia" should be added to that. Two years ago I attended the wedding of a good friend of mine who had met his wife in an AOL chat room. Inspired by him, I gave it another try. I type this with my wedding ring. It does happen, and it's not all that rare. One big difference, though: both me and my friend chatted with women who were already in this country.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I stand by what I said. For every success story like RobertR or Gary->dee there are 4 stories of either predators taking advantage or scammers requesting money. But I never said that it couldn't happen. In fact, the couple next door to me met through the internet, but outside of legitimate matchmaker sites like www.eHarmony.com happy endings like that are the exception and not the rule.

DrewSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Not to be rude or cruel but this post is pretty pathetic. It reeks of scam, hopefully in your case it isn't.

Good luck

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone ever had success with a Russian woman? I know a guy at work whose brother actually travelled to Russia to meet someone. She happily accepted all the money he spent on her, but wouldn't give him so much as a kiss. I think everyone seeking a romantic relationship should stay far, far away from these people.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone ever had success with a Russian woman? I know a guy at work whose brother actually travelled to Russia to meet someone. She happily accepted all the money he spent on her, but wouldn't give him so much as a kiss. I think everyone seeking a romantic relationship should stay far, far away from these people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks