What's new

Anybody play mahjong? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I want to play online (or at least on my PC) this game. But I'm not interested in the solitaire versions. I want to play the real Chinese version with four players. Anyone know of sites or programs I can buy or download?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Mahjong on a PC....interesting. I learned and used to play with my fraternity brods back in med school. Its one of our frat's antisocial (coz there's only 4 who can play at a time) but liberating pasttimes. Without the pieces in front of u, I sure will miss the joy of actually feeling the characters with ur middle finger to see if u've won!
Oh and one more thing, during my initiations into the frat, we had neophyte names....mine was 2 sticks kid.....

Claudia P

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried Yahoo Games? They have both solitaire and leagues - you can join in a game or watch & chat too!

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

me neither. I'm not at the level where I memorize other player's discards to guess at what hand they might be going after.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My mom gave me her set of tiles she bought when she was a young woman and my dad made a nice table for me. Of course I've never played with anyone, but maybe I should throw together a party or something where everyone is a novice. My only thing with the tiles is that they're pink - I wish they were the standard green.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

On top of that, you have to watch what the other players have "matched". That's too much brain activity involved for me.

Playing on the computer is a very poor simulation for the real deal....you'll miss out on the noise, the trash-talking, the feel of the tiles, the switching of seats, the agony of defeat, etc.... :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've played I think is now Activision's Shanghai. It's the real mahjongg and has nice animations and also has the solitaire game on it. It has sound effects to mimic the tiles moving around and does some real complex scoring algorithms rather than what my family usually play. We play simple winner takes all cause it's too much a PITA to calculate who gave who what. Of course, we still play the person who gave the winning tile, pays twice, but we simply use points and pay accordingly. The Shanghai game actually pays based on the hand and who gave each Pong etc. etc. So in effect, you could not win the hand yet win the most money/chips because your hand is very good versus the so-so hand of the actual winner. It also recognized special hands...

Anyway, it's OK in terms of the strategy and the computer AI. Like most people say here, it lacks the nicesties of playing 3 other live players and the various strategies of kicking back with friends.

It isn't an online or networked game too as it's a few years old.

Having said that, there is a pretty good shareware mahjongg game by Berrie Bloom but I don't recall if that's still around.. google it and it should find something...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks