What's new

Anybody live in a Toll Brothers house? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Anyone live in a Toll Brothers house or community? My wife and I are thinking of buying a Toll Brothers house and would like to hear any experiences.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
No I don't live in a Toll Brothers house, I live in a Tollhouse, brother!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
They have a nice golf course community here in Raleigh called Brier Creek. An acquaintence of mine through another friend bought a house there and has been pretty happy with it.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Lee,

Have they ever compare their actual measurements to the floorplan in the sales brochure. That seems to be Toll's biggest offense. The brochure shows a room as 327 sq ft. The real blueprint filed with the building inspector shows it as only 285. Then they just claim it was an "honest mistake" when they are busted.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

That's just the tip of the Iceberg. The Boston Globe has a great expose article about Toll Brothers and there are a LOT of complaints.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's no joke to the poor people involved who find they have a $400K house that needs $400K of work to fix!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I checked their website out. They seem to be a design/construction firm. The houses look quite nice, but the negative reports at HADD turned me off.

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, now I'm really hungry.

On topic: it sounds like some of the tract companies out here in CA. They are more concerned with getting em up as quickly as possible and less about the quality and workmanship. Lawsiuts pending.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Stay away from Toll Brothers, Philip. I'm up in Boston and I remember that story. IIRC there was also a TV segment on the local news about this developer. As an architect I tend to follow these stories and let me tell you, I would NEVER buy a house from them. Shoddy construction seems to be the hallmark of Toll Brothers.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Oh, believe me I'm not considering a TB home after reading that damning Boston Globe article. I'm sticking a known quantity: the builder of my beautiful 10 year old townhome, NV Homes.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
My hometown is overwhelmed by Toll Brothers neighborhoods. After my house was built (by another builder), Toll took over my neighborhood & completed it (approx 100 toll homes). The houses on either side of me are Toll Brothers.

My parents have been in a Toll Brothers home since ~1988.

Our conclusion ... they're not terrible, but I would NOT buy one. Rather cheap construction standards and you'll generally pay a fortune in upgrades just to get what you want.

Most of the Toll homes near us are brick front & vinyl siding on the 3 other sides. After framing, the outside walls are covered in construction grade foil-lined cardboard (rather than plywood); siding goes over the cardboard. Think about this ... you could cut youself a door in the side of a Toll home with a decent carpet knife!

Inside, everything seems to be the minimum. My parents have dealt with shifting, rotting doorframes, leaky shower, & frequent basic plumbing problems.

Toll Brothers model homes are great showplaces, but, like I said ... you can do yourself much better.

Scott

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Philip, do you have the link to that Toll Brothers expose? I've searched the Globe's website and don't seem to find it.

Thanks, Patrick

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
They are big and impressive looking but when you look closely they are not well constructed. I read the Globe article (I live near Hopkinton MA where the article was written)
and was amazed at the shortcuts taken by TB...
Right now they are listing for $600K-800K.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

No thanks
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks