What's new

Anybody know of any reviews of Dolby ProLogic IIx? (6 Viewers)

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
Not a review.......... just a personal opinion:
I heard it at CEDIA in Indiana and it sounds GREAT!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gruson

Second Unit
I too would like to see some reviews on this.

My current receiver, Yamaha RX-V1000, does not even have Pro Logic II....so I am wondering now how IIx sounds.

Anyone care to comment how Star Wars LDs sound on Pro Logic II or IIx?

I am very curious if it is worth upgrading for.

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
I know the Marantz 7400 is supposed to have it, and they're available now.....just curious if anyone has heard it and what their opinion is.

(Update)
So, has anyone had a chance to hear it?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am very curious as well.

I really figured since EX post processing on top of DLPII, gives effective 6.1 and 7.1 that DPLII would be the end of the line for Pro Logic, but as usual I was wrong, and now we have DPLIIx I guess it is called.

Any good links on DPLIIx even, maybe even at the Dolby website? I kind of looked a few weeks ago, and did not come up with all to much about it. More just that it exists and we will be see'n it available on recievers and pre pros soon, well and of course it is supposed to be better.... :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The contenders:
THX EX
DTS NEO:6
Denon 7.1 Widescreen
Then I'm afraid you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about DPL IIx, a new version of DPL II that is not represented in your list.

BTW, there's no difference between "Dolby Digital EX" and "THX EX". Different names for the same process, which was jointly developed by THX and Dolby.

M.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ooops sorry Michael, I actually was meaning for that to be a PM back to Gruson. About DPLII in general with LD sources. I'll try to be better about that in the future.

Know of any links that match up the differences bewteen the newest DPLIIx and DPLII with EX post processing? From what I percieve about it now, it is just DPLII with EX included, but even that could be mis-information from the person that told me that.

So many modes and possibilities, it is enough to make one's head swim.

PS: Michael, I did edit the post to be more on topic. And sent the other post to Gruson as a PM about LD and DPLII / EX. Once again sorry for the goof up.

Blaine P

Agent
Does anyone know how DPL IIx will compare to NEO:6? I am building a 6.1 HT from scratch (about to buy an A/V receiver) and am curious if I should wait and buy one with DPL IIx so that all 6 speakers are being utilized.

Any thoughts?

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I'd wait. Since DPLIIx was announced over 6 months ago there are more than a few receivers that are shipping with it now with even more coming in the new year. Unless you have everything else and you are in dire straits for a receiver now then by all means pick one up but keep in mind that there are still a few offerings available today that have DPLIIx already implemented.

Blaine P

Agent
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I have waited this long for my HT, what is another month or two.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Blaine wrote:

>>Does anyone know how DPL IIx will compare to NEO:6? I am building a 6.1 HT from scratch (about to buy an A/V receiver) and am curious if I should wait and buy one with DPL IIx so that all 6 speakers are being utilized.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Our local Onkyo rep. claimed DPLIIx was better even for 5 channel systems due to better steering of the signal.
Is this true? I have a 7.1 system and was wondering if DPLIIx was firmware upgradeable for older flagship units like the Onkyo 989?

Blaine P

Agent
Roger:

7.1 would be nice, but everything is prewired for 6.1 (new construction, 2-story house). While I may not get the full benefit from DPL IIx, I want to fully utilize my 6.1.

Thanks.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
>>Our local Onkyo rep. claimed DPLIIx was better even for 5 channel systems due to better steering of the signal.
Is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread