What's new

Anybody keep their DVD's in a CD case? (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
I knew this was going to happen. I keep my DVD's on a bookshelf in a corner of our apartment. Well, guess what. I've run out of space. I've got about 250-300 DVD's. I was thinking about buying one or two CD cases that hold 100-200 discs and put them in there and store the actual cases in the closet, but I'd hate to put the cases away. I don't know what it is, but I like having the DVD's in their cases on display. Maybe it's the collecter in me. Buying a bigger bookself isn't an option. The one we have now is falling apart, and once it's gone my wife wants to use the space for something else. Our apartment isn't that big, and space for stuff is a premium. Also, I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Any other ideas?

Freddy C.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I have been using slimline jewel cases for some time and have been very happy. I sort my collection by director, and store the discs in little wooden crates designed to hold 20 CDs (or 40 slimlines). I simply label the end of the crate "Altman - Bunuel" and never have trouble finding anything. Artwork and inserts go into a box in the closet. I don't mind not having access to these since they are by no means descriptive of the discs' contents; look at the liner notes on a Criterion LD to see what I mean.

BTW is anyone interested in buying several empty, slightly used keepcases? I sold several to HTF mod Frank Anderson, and he can vouch for the quality of the merchandise.

I use a type of CD case for mine.

Aerli

They have no spine, but with all of my videogames, and DVDs, I had run out of room. With these, I can put a lot of them on a CD shelf. They can be hard to find, but it's not that bad.

Clay

You could keep them in slimline cases, affix a small number to the spine, and use a program like DVD Profiler (www.dvdprofiler.com) to keep track of them. Then you could print out a neat little coffee table book of your collection for friends and family to look through. When they pick one, note the collection number, and get it out of whatever you store the slimline cases in. I use the report called "Coffee Table Book w/Chick Flick Alert" for my coffee table book. No one rummaging through my collection, is a nice side effect of using the coffee table book. Do your book in alphabetical sections so you have less to print out when you add to your collection. :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I use something similar to the Disk Binder that Dave Poehlman pointed out above. It holds 200 DVDs and I have 2 of them with all of the cases stored in storage containers in my garage. I like it MUCH better than having shelves full of DVD cases in my family room taking up space.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I bought a few that hold about 100 each, and I separated the music and comedy into one, and demo/everything else into the other. They're really inexpensive at Target.

I keep the original cases in the basement and accessible, in case someone wants to borrow...

I find this way easier than going through racks of DVD's. Admittedly, not quite as much fun though. And the double sided ones where the tiny writing is on the inside edge? Ugh!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have a couple of them that each hold 100 DVD's.
I still keep the cases on the shelf though.
Having them in "albums" allows me to take them with me when I go on vacation. My father in-law loves it when I bring them over. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks