What's new

Anybody else's AV15's have scratches on the cone?(pics included) (1 Viewer)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
My AV15 arrived and it sounds great! The only thing that's bugging me is a cosmetic problem. I know there were some problem with the AV12's finish but I can't recall if it was similar to this. Did any of you guys that received your AV15 have scratches in the center? Could this lead to any future problems?

Thanks,

Frank

See the pics below:

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Mine arrived the other day. It has very minor imperfections, from the "spinning" process I believe. The marks are not near as bad as yours. I wouldn't worry about the small marks, unless you plan to use it in a "visible" setting. Your sub's output will not be affected in the slightest.
JP

Rusty Boudreaux

Auditioning
Each of my four AV15's have varying degrees of minor surface imperfections. Nothing near as bad as what your pictures show.

Cosmetic blemishes don't bother me in the least...attic IB so my drivers won't be seen.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I was just wondering whether I was the oddball. I'm more than happy with it's performance. I don't think it's worth contacting Stryke over, but it just kind of bugs me knowing it's there.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
However, for those of us who have considered the AV15 for dipole applications this isn't such minor news. One of the reasons I was consider them was for the cosmetics.

Not to mention if you decide to sell the thing and are trying to convince the buyer that this is 'normal'.

Steve

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i think the dustcap has the saame finish as the av12 did mine has minor around the edgeses none in the middle. as long as they dont get worse i am happy my subs will be visible.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
That's a good point Stephen. I never thought about if I decide to sell it, I might not be able to get as much money. I think I will contact Stryke about this.

Thanks

If you're really worried about the scratches, you might be able to polish them with some emery cloth or some high-grit sandpaper, and then mask off the cone part with some painter's tape and spray the aluminum dustcap with some clear polyurethane lacquer or something similar to prevent further scratches and/or corrosion (although if it's a relatively pure aluminum alloy, any aluminum oxidation shouldn't really discolor it)

Might want to ask John @ Stryke if he would recommend this before you go ahead, though.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I thought this problem was supposed to fixed. Although not as bad as my AV12, which I'm not sending back, it is still a bit of a downer that this spidering problem still exists on the AV15s.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
If I am not mistaking, the problem on the AV-12's was with the actual finish. The AV-15 I received has actual scratches, not a spidering effect from the finish.

My Webpage

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
but at 120db brass monkey at 3 feet dual 15 with 1000 wats and i bet it can still go for more. and that was un corected rs spl meter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks